I decided, in response to the email I started this thread with, to send out a reply to Verizon Wireless technical support. My email to them reads as follows:

Having done more research, to include reading the technical manual as suggest by the associate who responded to my email, I have come to find that this response was absolute fallacy. I am thoroughly offended as a verizon customer that when I ask a question about the native functions of my phone and the reason for their being disabled when activated by verizon I can't get a straight answer, only a straight lie. The MMS function was never restricted by the manufacturer, it IS a native function on the device (as described by the technical manual found at BlackBerry - Support & Services), and many carriers worldwide have the function enabled, leaving Verizon Wireless one of a small handful of carriers to not.
    I enjoy the coverage and plans supplied by Verizon Wireless, but in my experience with technical support I have found only one associate who was able to diagnose my problem at the time (device failed to attach to BIS after update) and fix the issue (by re sending the service books) without ME walking THEM through it. I'm tired of tier-system technical support and blatant lies because of actual inability to give a concise answer.
    If possible, I would just like my original question actually answered. Why has Verizon blocked the MMS function on the Blackberry 8830 World Edition? With or without a camera, the MMS function is a vital tool for the convenient transfer of information wirelessly. The service books exist. The function is there. Why can't we use it?

you my friend need to send many letters to verizon corporate hahah

I think you wrote that better then I have seen many people post anything haha
    05-20-09 04:15 PM
    I know, old thread, but did VZW respond to your second email?
    08-02-09 07:33 PM
    Change your blackberry registration id to 144 by using ##000000 and scrolling down then press your menu key then "edit bb red id" then scroll down to 2004 menu then delete then scroll up to new reg id and enter 144 then press menu then save then menu and then close

Then request new service books and voila

have fun kids
    08-03-09 09:43 AM
    And this is going to do????
    08-03-09 04:59 PM
    i just wanted mms so i could send texts longer than 140 characters or 160 or whatever it is...without having to install a 3rd party application...

never could view pics from pic place or whatever its called on my phone...only on the computer...
    08-03-09 09:30 PM
    And this is going to do????
    Its supposed to enable MMS. I was going to try it but I dont know how to request new service books.
    08-04-09 07:36 AM
    Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. Will test in a bit. To resend service books go to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > BB button > Register Now.
    08-04-09 08:55 AM
    Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. Will test in a bit. To resend service books go to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > BB button > Register Now.
    Will I get any kind of notification when it has the new service books?
    08-04-09 09:07 AM
    Change your blackberry registration id to 144 by using ##000000 and scrolling down then press your menu key then "edit bb red id" then scroll down to 2004 menu then delete then scroll up to new reg id and enter 144 then press menu then save then menu and then close

Then request new service books and voila

have fun kids
    Sorry KW, even switching it over to Alltel's reg id books didn't work. The options come up to send/receive, but it fails again. This may work for Alltel 8830 users though as I can't verify for them, but it's a no-go for Verizon.

EDIT: I also recommend not deleting 2004 because you can't use your browser if you change it 144.
    Last edited by ediggity; 08-04-09 at 09:25 AM.
    08-04-09 09:12 AM
    Will I get any kind of notification when it has the new service books?
    Go to options > advanced > service book, and you should see the MMS client and transport books there.
    08-04-09 09:13 AM
    I didnt save the reg ID change lol Im trying it again!
    08-04-09 09:22 AM
    I didnt save the reg ID change lol Im trying it again!
    Did it work?
    09-06-09 07:39 PM
    Did it work?
    Kind of. The phone able to create MMS messages but the VZW network has MMS messaging locked out for all 8830's. So that means an MMS wont ever make it to the phone and the phone cant send them because the network thinks that phone shouldnt be able to do that. Im willing to bet that even if you have an Alltel 8830 it still wont work cuz VZW are a bunch of freaking Nazis!
    09-07-09 12:27 PM
    Man, I gotta say, this thread does not seem constructive, who cares, you can't send mms, that's not what this phone was built for, you think you would be complaining about the lack of camera before the lack of mms support. Just get a different device if you want mms, this is one of the only bberries that does not support mms of it's generation. It was designed to be professional and with the business professional in mind, which means security, e-mailed messages are more secure because you can choose whether to download the images or not. So, the culture and purpose of the 8830 does not allow for mms to be possible, and to me it makes sense. I respect your opinion, just trying to shed some light on what vzw and rim may have been thinking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 08:04 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD