I have the 8830 WE from Verizon. I had very low memory, below 1meg. I pulled the battery and rebooted and ended up with 16 meg available. By the end of the week I am down to 10 meg. I have not downloaded any appreciable memory hogs. I only have weathereye and viigo.

Is this memory loss normal and is pulling the battery the only solution? I would appreciate any help.
    06-06-08 05:17 PM
    Between the time you went from 16 to 10 did you have a large number of SMS, MMS, email or call logs or anything?
    06-06-08 05:24 PM
    I had to laugh at your title choice.

Yes, humans experience memory loss over time, and it gets worse as we get older.

Your experience is typical. After a fresh start you have adaquate memory for normal use, but it is consumed in the process.

There is a setting for reserved media space. The minimum is 12 Mb for your model. If your free space drops into that range, BlackBerry activates a low memory recovery routine.

In order to prevent lost data, your best bet is to reset it regularly.

The cure is to free up more memory in your device. There are quite a few samples, themes and wall paper to enhanse the exerience, at a cost in memory.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    06-06-08 05:26 PM
    Yes it is normal. BB's have a memory leak and I pull my battery once a week and it release the leaked memory. The more data you use, the more that leaks.
    06-06-08 05:27 PM
    This is only normal if you don't close out of your apps. Google Maps has a very big memory leak currently. Close your apps and you won't have a problem.
    06-06-08 05:31 PM
    Thanks Stoner! I was wondering if anyone would catch the double meaning in the title.

It is ashame that the BB loses memory over time. It is such a cool device that I want it working at its optimum at all times.

I am afraid to add programs for fear of losing speed. Notice my name.

Thanks again!
    06-06-08 05:36 PM
    This is only normal if you don't close out of your apps. Google Maps has a very big memory leak currently. Close your apps and you won't have a problem.
    When you say close out apps do you mean to hit the BB Button and then scroll down to close. If that is the case that may be part of my problem. I have been using the escape button to go back to the main menu.

Please clarify if I understand your comments.

Thanks!
    06-06-08 05:39 PM
    Not exactly true. Closing apps definately helps but I properly close my apps and I lose an average to 2-3 MB's a week. For the BB's that are running 4.3 OS and/or have the memory cleaning feature, they don't seem to have the memory leak as much.
    06-06-08 05:52 PM
    can anyone clarify my question above about closing out of apps? see comment above.

do you literally have to hit the BB button and select the close option or is using the escape button to go back OK and will close the app?
    06-06-08 05:55 PM
    Menu > then close or exit is the proper way to close apps.
    06-06-08 05:58 PM
    Menu > then close or exit is the proper way to close apps.
    Thanks Garz! That is probably part of my problem. I have been using the escape button to exit.

Do you need to do this for each program? Calendar, contacts, etc. or just applications like browser, viigo, etc.

if that is the case and you have to close out of all items then some will not work, like weathereye. I was having problems getting it to update and was told to hit the end key to keep it active. also, in viigo if you hit the close option it asks you if you want to save the items. and if you close will viigo continue to update?

Sorry for all of the questions. just trying to make sense of it all.

Thanks in advance for all of your help so far.
    06-06-08 06:11 PM
    Calender and contacts is ok to just back out but definately properly close out of all running apps the correct way(Viigo, Browser ect.)
    06-06-08 06:31 PM
    One of the great features BlackBerry has is multitasking.

By design, key programs are always running. Messages, Home, Phone Logs are always running in the background.

When you exit a program, you can choose to leave it active or terminate it.

In order to leave it active, use the End Call key. To exit the program use the Escape key.

Most programs will sit in the background and not cause a problem, but some will continue to use temporary memory and eventually cause problems.
    06-06-08 06:34 PM
    Calender and contacts is ok to just back out but definately properly close out of all running apps the correct way(Viigo, Browser ect.)
    Thanks Garz! I appreciate the help. Its the little things that get you in to trouble. Its always good to know which button to push!
    06-06-08 06:36 PM
    One of the great features BlackBerry has is multitasking.

By design, key programs are always running. Messages, Home, Phone Logs are always running in the background.

When you exit a program, you can choose to leave it active or terminate it.

In order to leave it active, use the End Call key. To exit the program use the Escape key.

Most programs will sit in the background and not cause a problem, but some will continue to use temporary memory and eventually cause problems.

Stoner thanks for the advice. I am still a little confused. Based on the previous posts I was led to believe that you had to use the BB button and select close in order to close the program. If you use the escape button I thought this will leave the program running. If this is not true then what is the function of the BB then close function.
    06-07-08 10:52 AM
    I had the same dip in memory when I had viigo installed. 24 meg down to 17 meg by weeks end. Uninstalled it and I'm sitting in the 22 - 24 meg range. I have yahoo, google talk, weather eye, facebook, google search, and the crackberry link installed on my phone and don't notice a leak as much since I took viigo off. May just be me though. Also to the above post you are correct to close a program the blackberry button + close is the right way. You are also correct that escape leaves it running. If I'm correct I think some of the programs cannot be closed I blv it's 5 of them.
    06-07-08 12:04 PM
    It is simple enough to verify. From the home page, Menu / Switch Applications will display the ones with active threads.

You can quickly switch between them, copying to the clipboard as needed.

Verify how it works by opening an application. Options / Status for example.
    Use the End Call key then look in Switch Apps... it is still there.

Use the Escape key to back out and check Switch Apps again. It has been closed.
    06-07-08 12:07 PM
    I had the same dip in memory when I had viigo installed. 24 meg down to 17 meg by weeks end. Uninstalled it and I'm sitting in the 22 - 24 meg range. I have yahoo, google talk, weather eye, facebook, google search, and the crackberry link installed on my phone and don't notice a leak as much since I took viigo off. May just be me though. Also to the above post you are correct to close a program the blackberry button + close is the right way. You are also correct that escape leaves it running. If I'm correct I think some of the programs cannot be closed I blv it's 5 of them.
    Good Point, the Browser uses Escape to page back. You do have to Menu / Close it.
    06-07-08 12:09 PM
    If I delete the maps app straight from the phone, will that free up some good memory? I'm averaging 16200000 bytes and I don't really use the map feature now but I may in the future so is it okay to delete the map app now and download it later if I need it?
    06-07-08 02:11 PM
    No problem, the BlackBerry Maps are part of the OS. If you need them back, it is a simple matter to reinstall.
    06-07-08 02:26 PM
    My browser stays active under "Switch Application" no matter how I close out of it.
    06-07-08 02:42 PM
    My browser stays active under "Switch Application" no matter how I close out of it.
    You can do blackberry button + close in the browser. But it's still going to be listed in switch application. There are 5 apps that do this.

1. Browser of course.
    2. Blackberry Messenger.
    3. Home Screen.
    4. Phone.
    5. Messages.

They will always be in the switch application view. Also on a side note I noticed that when logged into yahoo messenger / google talk even if you do blackberry + close they will still be open. The only way I found to do close them is if you are logged out then do the blackberry + close. Kind of off topic but figured I'd throw it out there.
    06-07-08 10:05 PM
    [QUOTE=Garz;372013]Yes it is normal. BB's have a memory leak and I pull my battery once a week and it release the leaked memory. The more data you use, the more that leaks.[/

I agree!!!!!
    06-08-08 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD