Folks-

I've read a LOT on this forum and others about memory on the 8830. I know that we should all be trying to keep at least 11000000 "free memory" bytes (that's 11 MB, right), but seriously...maintaining this is very difficult.

here are my 3rd party apps:

Gmail - not negotiable, need this
    Google Maps - not negotiable, need this
    Web Messenger IM - not negotiable, need this
    BB Weather
    Viigo
    Klondike Solitaire
    Pacman (tried to delete this, can't. On a Mac, used Pocket Mac, still didn't work).

I have 2 themes as well.

My question: is this REALLY too many apps? I feel like I want way more, and honestly don't want to delete any of these (except pacman, of course).

What do you guys suggest I do? I do battery pulls at least once a week already. Perhaps there's a utility that will tell me exactly how much ram these apps are taking up?

I've deleted as many built in things (languages, sample movies) as I can. In my estimation, there's nothing more I can delete except the apps I installed.

Any and all help is much appreciated as always.

Thanks!

-split
    03-22-08 04:52 PM
    You don't have too many apps. Your problem is you have not cleaned out stuff you don't use. Since I'm on my BB I can't this link so go to John Clarks profile and on his signature, click on optimizing your memory. Complete that and your issues will be solved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-08 04:56 PM
    Here it is:
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html
    03-22-08 04:57 PM
    Chaz has got my back!

03-22-08 05:07 PM
    Well...I've deleted everything a mac user possibly can. I've read the thread you're referring to, that's what informed me of the things I was able to delete.

Without using pc desktop manager software, what are my options? I'm dyin' over here...

Split

03-22-08 05:40 PM
    Find a windows machine at a freinds house and load DM there, clean up your BB and uninstall it from the machine?
    Just a thought.

03-22-08 05:57 PM
    Well...I've deleted everything a mac user possibly can. I've read the thread you're referring to, that's what informed me of the things I was able to delete.

Without using pc desktop manager software, what are my options? I'm dyin' over here...

Split

Have you tried deleting your application from the BlackBerry itself? If not, go to Options/Advanced Options/Applications. From there, press the BlackBerry button and delete the apps you can do without. This should help with your application problem at least.
    Last edited by AJErvin12; 03-22-08 at 07:00 PM.
    03-22-08 06:53 PM
    Ok, I did it!

I used a friends' pc, and did the recommended process to remove wallpapers, etc via desktop manager. I even accidentally erased bbweather. My free memory is now 14.4 mb. This, it seems, is the most I can possibly have given the apps I've installed.

Does that sound right?

-split

03-24-08 08:38 PM
    I average 19 down to 14 and I haven't had any problems with deleted messages or call logs. *knock on wood*

03-24-08 09:23 PM
    Sounds good. You should do a battery pull once a week or so to reset the phone.
    03-24-08 09:34 PM
    19??? How the **** do you get 19 mb free? What 3rd party apps do I have installed?

I'm jealous.

-split

03-24-08 10:26 PM
    I usually hover around 12-13. I was down to 8-10 and it never deleted anything from my BB.
    03-25-08 07:07 AM
    I just got in the habit of pulling the battery for a few seconds every night before I put mine on the charger. Every morning, 19mb free. 10 o'clock that night, about 14mb. I know its one of those "why should I have to do tha things", but it works so I don't ask too many questions. :-)

03-25-08 07:36 AM
    Some people are lazy when it comes to apps for Gmail. YOU DON'T NEED IT!!! Go and register your berry without running that app on BIS!! Go to BIS and do your thing without having a Gmail envelope in front of you. After you put in your id and everything while setting up your Gmail account, an additional envelope will be created for Gmail without the app.!! That's all you need. MOST OF YOU GUYS MAKE ME FEEL SO OLD BY ME USING COMMON SENSE!!! AND I'M ONLY 38!!!!! YOU DO THE MATH!! GEE GEORGE!!!!!!!!!!
    03-25-08 08:45 AM
    I have a problem keeping my memory up to...I havent tried all of John clarks tips but some of it is a bit too much.
    03-25-08 08:54 AM
    Same here, I'll have a ton then down to none in no time flat??? And I have tried some of the tricks and trades but can't seem to keep up with the Joneses, lol
    03-25-08 10:51 AM
    I have a problem keeping my memory up to...I havent tried all of John clarks tips but some of it is a bit too much.
    you're like me Jazzee I tried John Clarks tips too, but I did find some of it a bit tricky and I don't wanna mess anything up. SO I'm lurking around looking for some other ways to free up memory.
    03-25-08 11:05 AM
    I think when RIM releases HTML email support and causes all of us 8xxx adopters to run almost nil on memory and unable to install that many apps, we should sue them for dragging their butts to bring out a BB that had more memory then 64 Flash and 32 RAM. Rumor has it that the new CDMA Curve will have more memory on it. Hummm, you think they got scared that HTML email was going to kill them? I think so....
    03-25-08 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD