According to the specs at blackberry and verizon the 8830we has 65MB of internal memory. I am trying to figure out how the operating system is calculating this since my phone always seems to be short on memory. According to the phone it has a file total of 47448064 bytes. Shouldn't this number be closer to 65000000 bytes? Give or take a couple hundred bytes. After a battery pull and restart I am left with 6788646 bytes. If i remove every single application from the phone that I install and empty all logs I can get the free file close to 13000000 bytes. I have seen reports of people getting close to 20000000 bytes through the memory optimization procedure. Any ideas?
    10-19-08 05:12 PM
    Have you run through the guide? It really does help. Any pics/vids/music/ringtones on your device? Do you have a memory card?
    10-19-08 05:20 PM
    I have run through the guide. I have an 8gig mem card and everything that is media related is on the card. I have run through the procedure short of completely wiping the hand held and starting from scratch. I don't really want to wipe the whole thing unless it is actually going to get the "missing" memory back. I did the upgrade to the 4.5 operating system but that had no change on the file total. Though i don't start noticing lag now until my free file gets down to 4MB. With v4.2 it would start lagging once it dropped to 8MB.
    10-19-08 05:38 PM
    How apps and themes do you have installed? Viigo? Facebook?
    10-19-08 05:46 PM
    Beyond 411 search, google maps, vznavigator(unfortunately), soft reset, PNC mobile banking, beamreader, and the docs to go pack that came with v4.5 and 11 desktop shortcuts that are about 5k each. So all total maybe 3MB total. I have removed everything from the phone that I could that I don't use. The factory backgrounds are gone from when I did the v4.5 update. I reloaded the factory ringtones to correct one issue but that didn't seem to affect memory much. if my calculations are correct it would appear that there is close to 17.5MB of memory missing.
    10-19-08 06:06 PM
    how did you erase your preloaded backgrounds or themes?
    10-19-08 09:05 PM
    How do you move data the the memory card?
    10-19-08 09:07 PM
    how did you erase your preloaded backgrounds or themes?
    When I upgraded to 4.5.0.77 it didn't load the backgrounds or the ring tones. Did the ring tone fix to correct the silence condition. I actually gained the L-theme with the update.
    10-19-08 09:47 PM
    How do you move data the the memory card?
    I have always stored everything on the memory card from day one. The only thing that goes on the phone memory is the programming. all attachments and that I save I make sure that they are saved on the mem card. Otherwise you need to use the media manager to move stuff around to the card.
    10-19-08 09:50 PM
    According to the phone it has a file total of 47448064 bytes. Shouldn't this number be closer to 65000000 bytes?
    In a normal world yes, it should be expected that the OS would see the entire memory pool. However, on a CDMA BB, the OS does not see the memory taken by the OS Core or firmware. If you've ever loaded an OS on your BB you'd see a *.sfi file in the loader directory that's about 16MB large. That's the portion that's missing from the 64MB onboard.
    10-19-08 09:51 PM
    In a normal world yes, it should be expected that the OS would see the entire memory pool. However, on a CDMA BB, the OS does not see the memory taken by the OS Core or firmware. If you've ever loaded an OS on your BB you'd see a *.sfi file in the loader directory that's about 16MB large. That's the portion that's missing from the 64MB onboard.
    Thank you. That is the explanation that I expected though I don't understand why they would put just enough memory into the phone to only run one or two programs.
    10-19-08 09:58 PM
    Beyond 411 search, google maps, vznavigator(unfortunately), soft reset, PNC mobile banking, beamreader, and the docs to go pack that came with v4.5 and 11 desktop shortcuts that are about 5k each. So all total maybe 3MB total. I have removed everything from the phone that I could that I don't use. The factory backgrounds are gone from when I did the v4.5 update. I reloaded the factory ringtones to correct one issue but that didn't seem to affect memory much. if my calculations are correct it would appear that there is close to 17.5MB of memory missing.
    I'm not sure how big it is, but you can eliminate "Soft Reset." Alt-R.Shft-Del performs the exact same function on an 8830 and requires no memory. You do need to keep the factory ringtones. They're very small, and their absence can cause apps to fail.
    10-19-08 10:40 PM
    JeffH how exactly does the Alt_R, Shft_Del work? Just hitting those buttons simotaniously doesn't seem to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 05:00 PM
    What we have here is a failure to communicate: it's Alt, RightShift, Delete, not alr-r, shift-delete.

10-20-08 05:11 PM
    I just got my blackberry on thursday ad I have done nuthin but text and recieve emails. You said that it comes with 65mb but y does mine only have 475411280 bytes?
    And now it says i only have 16575166 bytes free, even though I have not loaded anything on it.
    10-20-08 05:34 PM
    Go back to the beginning of this thread and start reading there. Your first question about memory has already been asked and answered. The answer to the second question is to run the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure. You can find it in the How To forum, or linked in many of our non-wap sigs.

10-20-08 05:43 PM
    JeffH thank you for clearing that up. And yes I did delete the program from ny phone, as every bit of space on this phone is needed. Thanks again for being patient with me as I learn my phone.

10-21-08 07:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD