On my commute this morning, it became painfully obvious that when the 8830 WE either receives email or is searching for signal, the MP3 playing suffers. My song was stammering along like someone with a bad studder.

I'm on the original 4.2 firmware. Does anyone know if this issue is addressed and corrected in the 4.5 firmware?

Thanks!
    06-12-09 09:00 AM
    If you are on the original, there have been a couple of updates including newer 4.2 versions as well as the OS 4.5 version(s).

So you might want to upgrade. I don't know much about what dialing 228 does but it supposedly updates towers and such which might make communications with towers smoother. When you dial, there are instructions on what to do. Others may have better ideas so see what others reply.....
    06-12-09 09:30 AM
    *shrug*

I guess there's no other feedback about the skipping.
    06-15-09 10:27 AM
    I've never noticed any skipping, but it is normal for the music to stop if another sound, such as an incoming email, comes in.

Also, you may check your options in Media, and check your device memory limit, mine's set to 5 MB. I'm running 4.5 though, so I'd definitely recommend doing that first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 01:07 PM
    Ehh, I know I'm not topped out on memory usage. I was just planning to use my phone as my MP3 player while commuting. If I turn radio off while it's searching for signal, the skipping goes away.

It must be that the searching for signal is a processor intensive operation. That would also explain why searching for signal drains the battery quickly. If the phone's busy seeking signal, I guess it's not as concerned with the media player app.

I was just hoping that someone had info about whether or not the new firmware addressed this.
    06-18-09 09:09 AM
    On OS 4.5 I do not experience any skipping, signal or not. Music even plays when I have an hourglass and the devices is not responding to any other input. I urge you to upgrade.
    06-18-09 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD