08-23-09 10:38 PM
61 123
tools
    Hard Drive space.
    01-04-08 08:38 PM
    =o i hope 4gb works i just orderd one online
    4GB works just fine, that's what I'm using in mine. And RIM says it's supported.
    01-05-08 02:40 AM
    I was told at the verizon store (did not call tech support to back it up) But they said the 8830 will accept a 8gb card but can only read /use 4gb. Verizon wanted like 95$$ or something like that for a 2gb staples had them for 32$$..
    01-06-08 12:47 AM
    What kind of read speeds are people experiencing with the 4gb SDHC cards? I have read it takes 10-15 seconds to access different albums or songs on albums, sometimes even longer.
    01-07-08 10:31 PM
    I bought the 8G Sandisk (class 4) card with reader from Amazon ($131)

It installed out of the package and was recognized as having 7.6G available.

I reformatted it on the 8830, and it became 3.76 available.

I put it in the reader, attached it to my PC, reformated it as an 8G, recopied my Blackberry folder to it, then re-inserted it in the 8830.

It now says I have 7.4G available, I have my music, pictures and ringtones. I haven't tried ripped videos yet.

I also use it in "mass storage mode" when connected to PCs, as a place for data folders and files for me to move back and forth without emailing them everywhere.

It seems fine, but I wouldn't format it on the 8830.

The first time you bring it up, it takes a while. Accessing music and pictures only takes a second. I don't know about adding more music, as I haven't since I set it up, but I do remember it took a while to find all of my music and pictures after first copying them over.

Hope this helps.
    01-10-08 01:04 AM
    From what I've gathered here and on other forums, the 8830 only uses the microSD cards as an external storage space. NOT as an addition to the phone's own storage space. Would be nice if it could though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-08 04:32 PM
    An 8830 will handle a 4 gig card and that is the max. I recently bought an 8 gig for a good price and without thinking about checking the max capacity first, I formatted the card in my device and the memory was reduced to 3.6 GB. I am debating whether or not to return the card or keep it for future use.
    04-23-08 06:28 PM
    Just upgraded from a 2GB card to a 4GB card Is there an easy to transfer my media.
    04-23-08 07:10 PM
    Dmoore.. If u reformat the card on your computer u should get back to 8gb.. It will probably show as 7.6gb. I would probably keep the 8gb card as it will be supported with future OS updates!
    Right now I am using an 8gb card in a curve.. It only has about 3.5gb used up right now and works flawlessly. I will try to add some files and see if they work. I also have an 8830.. So I'll pop the card in it as well. I'll try it with the current files and more files added.. Will update later.

04-23-08 07:32 PM
    To determine the maximum SD card memory size your phone can support you need to know the OS version. This can be found by going to the Options application and selecting About from the menu. You can use the following link to determine the size the OS will support.

BlackBerry Search Results
    04-23-08 07:40 PM
    Dmoore.. If u reformat the card on your computer u should get back to 8gb.. It will probably show as 7.6gb. I would probably keep the 8gb card as it will be supported with future OS updates!
    Right now I am using an 8gb card in a curve.. It only has about 3.5gb used up right now and works flawlessly. I will try to add some files and see if they work. I also have an 8830.. So I'll pop the card in it as well. I'll try it with the current files and more files added.. Will update later.

Your right I reformatted it on my computer and it showed 7.6GB on my phone. I added all my songs and picture and still have 4GB left on the card. As long as the card is not formatted on the blackberry it seems that the device can accept any size card.
    04-23-08 08:12 PM

Following up on my previous post.. I put the 8gb card into my 8830 running OS 4.2.2.123.. after allowing it ample time to actually read everything on the card (it was not instantaneous), the BB is allowing me to access all my files. It reads the entire 7.6gb, with 4.2gb free. Now I am going to add more files to the card and see how it reacts.
    04-23-08 08:34 PM
    The tech at my VZW store assures me that it will handle an 8gb micro SDHC card.

04-24-08 05:54 PM
    How do I get my curve to recognize the entire 6GB of capacity on my SDCard? I formated it in the BB not on a PC.
    04-25-08 08:42 AM
    is all you will get with card.
    04-25-08 10:01 AM
    scottwired, and everyone else... read what people posted earlier.

DO NOT FORMAT ON PHONE...

If you format it on the phone, it will take the size down to 3.6 (if its a 6 or an 8gb card) Format it on the PC, and it will recognize all 6 or 8gb. but since each storage space manufacturer stores like drivers and stuff embeded on it, it wont say the full 6gb, but instead like 5.6gb... thats a standard thing with all storage devices.

I only have a 512MB card in my BB atm, but I'm gonna purchase an 8GB soon. This thread helped me decide whether or not to get 4 or 8. but I'm gonna get 8 now cause people say it works.
    05-04-08 03:05 PM
    How does one format a newly bought MicroSD card on the PC ?
    05-06-08 11:40 AM
    I have a 4 Gb micro HDSD card installed on 8830 and this works just fine! Just format it in your BB and it will show the directories for music, video etc.

R/
    05-06-08 12:14 PM
    I bought an 8gb media card and it reads total space 7.5 and free space as 5.6 but I have songs and video on it already
    05-06-08 06:39 PM
    For those using an 8GB card, wait until you fill it up to its capacity... the media player will have problems playing some files, especially videos for some reason.
    05-08-08 12:33 AM
    You can get an 8g on ebay.
    05-08-08 11:24 PM
    I have an 8 gig purchased from Amazon, but it only formats to 3.6Gig....
    05-09-08 06:30 AM
    I just opened up my Computer Shopper magazine last night and right inside the thing was an ad for a Crucial or Crescent 16 GB SDHC??? That would hold all my Sammy Hagar stuff AND a season of Lost!!!
    05-09-08 09:02 AM
    I have an 8 gig purchased from Amazon, but it only formats to 3.6Gig....

This is most probably because 8GB is incompatable.

Take a look at the Sandisk website there is a support section that outlines what memory cards they supply and what products they are compatable to.

the 8830WE is only compatible up to the 4GB memory card.
    05-11-08 08:06 PM
    2GB is the max size, only the Curve can handle the 4GB card right now.
    The 8830 will hold a 4 gig chip. i have one in mine and I can use the full 4 gig.
    05-07-09 01:08 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD