Hello everyone! Im looking to go with a BB. I really want a Tour but Im not eligible for an upgrade yet and I cant afford to buy one outright. I'll most likely be buying a used 8830 from ebay. I have some questions.

Is there a way to reset the phone so I can clear all of the previous owners info out? Also, is there anything I should know about this phone? Like known issues. I've skimmed through the stickies and theres alot of useful stuff in there but I didnt see anything about resetting the phone or known problems.

Thanks,
    Frankie
    07-17-09 09:19 AM
    I don't know details of how to make sure the old owner has "released" the phone (serial number type of stuff) to it can be registered as your phone and get your calls but there are definitely tools to clear everything off and reload it fresh.

I believe, too, that the phone has to have been verizon to use it on their network (not sprint, etc).

Frankly, with the new operating system (OS), the phone is pretty good. It's main limitation is memory - don't overload it with apps (like I do) and it is terrific. I just returned from europe and it was really nice to have its use over there for data and some phone calls. Oh, the gps is locked by verizon so that is a limitation - BBmaps and verizon's navigator program or you need a gps bluetooth device.
    07-17-09 09:36 AM
    I don't know details of how to make sure the old owner has "released" the phone (serial number type of stuff) to it can be registered as your phone and get your calls but there are definitely tools to clear everything off and reload it fresh.

I believe, too, that the phone has to have been verizon to use it on their network (not sprint, etc).

Frankly, with the new operating system (OS), the phone is pretty good. It's main limitation is memory - don't overload it with apps (like I do) and it is terrific. I just returned from europe and it was really nice to have its use over there for data and some phone calls. Oh, the gps is locked by verizon so that is a limitation - BBmaps and verizon's navigator program or you need a gps bluetooth device.
    I plan to get an Alltel version since Im on an Alltel plan. If I get a Verizon version, is there a way to unlock the GPS?
    07-17-09 10:22 AM
    I plan to get an Alltel version since Im on an Alltel plan. If I get a Verizon version, is there a way to unlock the GPS?
    To unlock the GPS, you just have to upgrade to OS 4.5 from another carrier and delete the vendor.xml file. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum. I'm using this OS on my 8830, I'm on Verizon, and BBMaps works great.
    07-17-09 06:35 PM
    Also, another limitation to keep in mind is that you can't receive or send MMS messages with the verizon version, but I believe the latest version of the Alltel firmware enabled that, so if you're not on Verizon you should be alright (which is so weird, weren't they bought out by verizon?).

Basically the memory and the MMS are why I upgraded to the Tour, the 8830 is a great phone otherwise!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 06:48 PM
    So, is it worth $30 to get the Alltel one over the Verizon one? I found 2 for good prices but the Alltel one is $30 more. So I can unlock the MMS and GPS on a Verizon phone by using Alltel OS 4.5 and deleting vendor.xml?
    07-17-09 08:50 PM
    I'll leave that to the pros, I'm not sure. I don't know if it's a hardware lock or a firmware lock on the MMS/GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 09:01 PM
    Anyone know for sure about unlocking the MMS on a VZW 8830?
    07-19-09 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD