I have been trying to use my BB 8830 as a modem with my laptop and I just can't get my laptop to detect my phone. I have tried 2 different laptops with the same result. I have paid the extra $15 to Verizon for the service. Also recently my device manager has stopped opening and syncing when I plug my phone in. The computer does sense the phone enough in that it does charge. I am thinking that it is some setting I have wrong or something...any tips out there???? Thanks Michele
    08-04-07 11:32 AM
    It won't if desktop manager is not installed!
    Last edited by anon(153966); 08-05-07 at 02:04 PM.
    08-04-07 01:59 PM
    Desktop manager is installed, it just doesn't start the synchronization like it is supposed to. When trying this process on another laptop, both programs were a new install. So I am not sure uninstalling and reinstalling software will do the trick...Any thoughts out there????
    08-04-07 05:22 PM
    Have you installed the VZAccess Mananger software that came with the phone? I thinj you need that as well.
    08-04-07 06:00 PM
    Yes I have installed both......ANy other ideas??
    08-05-07 12:45 PM
    if you find an answer, I would love to hear how you make it work. Are you using the regular data/usb cable?
    08-14-07 09:57 AM
    If you've been able to sync before and it worked, it sounds like it could be one of several things. If your laptop has an older Windows install on it, that could be your problem and you might want to try refreshing your system. If its a relatively newer system, it could be corrupted USB drivers for your device, in which case you'll want to delete the drivers and reinstall software.

If it's never worked syncing at all, could be a phone issue itself and you would want to contact VZW at that point. Hope this helps.
    08-14-07 11:41 AM
    I have a similar problem..my laptop will recongize the phone but I click to connect to the internet via the bb after an attempt it says my user name and password is not correct. During the vz access set up it never asked for a user name or password ?? I thought I could use this phone as a modem for my laptop to use say in an airport ??
    08-19-07 11:46 AM
    What version of Windows and Desktop manager are you using? The latest is version of Desktop Manager is 4.2 SP2 for Windows Vista/XP. There many be some unknown compatibility issue with an earlier version especially if you are using Windows Vista.
    Last edited by Starwalker; 08-19-07 at 02:01 PM.
    08-19-07 01:57 PM
    It is 4.2 and I have vista ??
    08-19-07 02:29 PM
    do you have security enabled on your BB?
    08-19-07 06:33 PM
    hmmm.. I don't think so -How Can I confirm that?

I still cannot figure out where the login and password is to use my BB as a modem-it says wrong login/password?
    08-20-07 07:50 PM
    Well I figured it out. After about 30 minutes on the phone with Verizon-Drum role please...
    Apparently, you have to have "teather" feature on your plan to allow the use of your phone as a modem. $15/month more!! Considering the modem card is $49/month I think it is a good deal eh??
    I heard from my web designer that this may be able to be hacked to use the phone in a dial up mode with a password. I'll let you know if I ever get it to work.
    08-20-07 08:31 PM
    Hey guys:

I'm having a similar problem...

I, too, have paid 15.00 extra to have my BBerry Pearl be used as a modem for my computer, a.k.a. "teathering" - however, when going through the VZAccess Manager installation, it gets to the screen that says
    VZAccess Manager - Install Modem, I then click Next, and the Next button stays pressed (grayed), but the Phone and Modem Options (which is also located in Vista's Control Panel), never pops up. I even went into Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options in order to install the BBerry manually and no dice; mind you that my BBerry device has been detected before and is in the COM 4 port). Verizon claims I'm missing some sort of driver, but truth be told, I don't think they know what they're talking about - one cust. serv. rep even tried to send me to Best Buy's Geek Squad to fix the problem. I'm willing to do that, but would first like to see if anyone here knows what the problem is, and, if at all possible, how to fix it.

If anyone knows what's wrong please don't hesitate to email me personally at robalicea@gmail.com

THANKS!

-RA
    01-30-08 01:10 AM
    This post from another site worked for me:

For anyone having the issue with Desktop Manager stating "Before you begin, verify that your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer", this may resolve your problem (it worked for me even with Bluetooth):

1) Make sure no "Desktop Manager" components are running. You may need to kill BbDevMgr.exe, RIMDeviceManager.exe, and DesktopMgr.exe using Task Manager

2) Run regedit.exe

3) Navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Manager

4) Create a new 32bit dword reg value named "DeviceConnection" and set the value to 1

5) Launch Desktop Manager
    02-24-10 11:54 AM
    Try another usb cable
    02-24-10 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD