Just wanted to post my silver-for-black keyboard results to help others who may be considering the switch:

I ordered the black 8830 QWERTY keypad, pry tool and trackball/ring from cnn (Hong Kong) on June 14. I received the package today (6-25-08) in NJ (USA). (Not bad)! I HAD TO SIGN FOR THE PACKAGE (good thing I was home). If you order from them, you might want the package sent to your job.

A Torx T5 was the proper tool to remove the 4 back screws- and they were the only screws to remove for this job. The hardest part was being as careful as possible. I did not remove the siderails completely- the keypad slid out- and the other in, with just a little bit of coaxing.

The black keyboard is a huge improvement. I am VERY happy.
    The End.
    06-25-08 11:16 AM
    This thread is worthless without pics....
    06-25-08 11:30 AM
    That's not very nice.
    06-25-08 11:36 AM
    It seems your comment is even more worthless. Is that your contribution?
    06-25-08 01:36 PM
    It seems your comment is even more worthless. Is that your contribution?
    jenaywins: Your "contribution" was appreciated. Thank you!

Listen, guys... all I wanted to do was share my experience with changing my keypad...NOT start another war.

I will not be posting pictures. Others have changed keypads and full housings and posted pictures in other threads- no sense in being repetitive.
    06-25-08 01:56 PM
    harsh but true
    06-25-08 02:05 PM
    "This thread is worthless without pics...." Is a common "humorous chime in" post for people on boards... They even have a lot of misc graphics that say that. It's sort of an acknowledgement to the OP and might actually even be a request wondering about seeing it haha... No foul there, just no real value. But hey, we're here to have fun right?

Personally, I'm always interested in seeing what people have done anyways.

Anyways.. Good to hear it went smooth. Thanks for sharing.
    06-25-08 03:25 PM
    "This thread is worthless without pics...." Is a common "humorous chime in" post for people on boards... They even have a lot of misc graphics that say that. It's sort of an acknowledgement to the OP and might actually even be a request wondering about seeing it haha... No foul there, just no real value.
    This.

On topic, I'll be replacing my screen cover and faceplate here in a bit. I wish I could figure out how to get the "click" back in my trackball.
    06-25-08 03:54 PM
    Well, at any rate, glad to hear you are happy with your new keyboard colour choice.
    06-25-08 03:58 PM
    I believe this is what was being referred to (see screenshot!)

also, I have the same device and I would like to see how it looks with just the keyboard replaced...I have been meaning to order the whole black housing and swap it out but can't justify the cost. Also, I have fat,pudgy fingers...
    06-25-08 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD