For the last 2 days in been on countless websites & the more I research the more I'm confused (conflicting reports). I'm pretty good with computers but these cell phones are a whole other monster to learn ins & outs of.

What prepaid simcards will work & what iyo is the best to use? I got a tracfone sim already but from my understanding those do not work because there somehow integrated to the actual phone itself (please correct me if im wrong)

It would be much appreciated if someone can help me out here. Maybe when I learn more about this thing I can help a new newbie out in the future. Thanks

some extra info I live in florida & the phone is RIM Blackberry 8820 thats supposedly unlocked already.
    09-02-10 05:41 PM
    100 views and not 1 post \

good thing i didn't ask if i can workaround voip over wifi with prepaid, install/modify a radio transmitter or install the best mp3/divx software.

looks like its going to be trial & error for me. Probably going to try tmobile pay as you go when my phone gets here.

gonna keep this thread updated so future searches has the answer for people in the same boat as me
    09-03-10 05:43 PM
    T-Mobile - That's what I'm using on my 8820. works great.

Let me know if you are having issues with media card.
    I can't seem to be able to use that function.
    09-04-10 09:38 AM
    Tracphone did have a strange thing going there...you'd have to ask them for details but I think you might be right...at the very least, you can't use a tracphone phone with a different sim card (I remember trying that...it could be because it operates on a different frequency than GSM networks...in which case your GSM phone would also have to operate at the tracphone frequency).

I have AT+T and for about a million reasons I am very happy with them. Have had the phone with them for over 2 years.

If the phone is unlocked you can use any sim card so long as the provider operates on one of the 4 bands that the 8820 operates on. I was able to use it in most of Asia but not Japan (because Japan is unique).
    10-27-10 04:27 PM
    8820 Support Carriers with these bands: 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    alanndu likes this.
    10-27-10 07:52 PM
    I have an 'un-locked' AT&T 8820 but as soon as I upgrade the the OS to 4.5 it is locked again and will only work on AT&T - How do I fix this? Please help.
    03-04-12 08:28 AM
    Was not unlocked in the first place. Upgrading the OS does not re-lock your device.
    03-04-12 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD