05-07-10 10:00 AM
35 12
tools
    The professionals are only a week behind you...
    That's funny.

BTW, what was the 3rd party app if you don't mind me asking? I don't seem to remember you saying anything about 3rd party apps intalled... hummm, kinda left that one out, didn't we?
    06-23-08 09:58 PM
    That's funny.

BTW, what was the 3rd party app if you don't mind me asking? I don't seem to remember you saying anything about 3rd party apps intalled... hummm, kinda left that one out, didn't we?
    Yeah, it completely slipped my mind...so much for being a THOROUGH trouble-shooter. The 3rd party app is GPSed. I'm not blaming them, they just happened to be the last app I installed before the problems. May not be related at all.
    06-23-08 10:04 PM
    ADDRESS BOOK PROBLEM SOLVED. It was all caused by a misplaced apostrophe. Which nicely illustrates the axiom about the devil being in the details.

A couple of days after I'd upgraded to 4.2.2.196, I added "Dominos Pizza" to my address book on the PC. The addition propagated to the blackberry. Then I noticed I had misspelled the name. I edited the contact on the PC and added the apostrophe. Later still I noticed the change had not propagated to the blackberry. "Dominos Pizza" without the apostrophe was still in the address book. So I changed it there. What I had failed to realize was that when I had added the apostrophe to the contact name on the PC, instead of editing the name, Outlook created a new entry, and propagated it to the bb. When I added the apostrophe on the BB, I now had duplicate entries in the address book. So I deleted the entry on the BB that had been pushed down by Outlook. When that change propagated from the BB back to Outlook, Outlook changed the Domino's entry to an "Untitled Contact." On screen, it looked just like the entry in the BB address book. The only way to know it was an untitled contact was to attempt to edit it in Outlook.

From this point forward, changes made to the blackberry address book started to show the errors I discussed in the earlier posts. I don't believe the upgrade to .196, which I had done three days before the Domino's entry, had anything to do with the problem.

Today I was doing some unrelated work in my contacts AND JUST HAPPENED to notice that I had failed to put Domino's in the Restaurants category in Outlook. So I opened it to add the category. AND JUST HAPPENED to notice that Outlook had it labeled an "Untitled Contact." I thought that seemed odd...so I deleted it...and the phony phone numbers (111-1111, 222-2222) I'd added to different contacts in the blackberry address book as test cases suddenly popped up in Outlook! Synching was working bi-directionally.

So the whole address book not syncing, java uncaught exception error scenario seems to have been caused by a misplaced apostrophe and the consequences of trying to fix it. Or you could just write it off as a user mistake. Whew.

I will probably upgrade to 4.2.2.196 again, just to be sure there aren't TWO problems here. The bugs that 4.2.2.196 fixes aren't bugging me, but sooner or later Verizon will start shipping 8830's with 4.2.2.196 installed, so if there is an incompatibility, I could really help our IT dep't by surfacing it now. I still don't know what version BES we're running. I'm not sure they know either.

Thanks for all your help, especially the insight about Groups on the BB. That wasn't the problem, but by knowing about it, I kept my IT dep't from wasting any time looking for it.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-25-08 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling error...not an apostrophe!
    06-25-08 09:02 AM
    ...I'd be more inclined to say the issue is probably with a BES server that's not on the latest BES version updates. Any clue as to what revision your BES is on?...
    Well, it took a while, but I finally got it: we're running BES 3.6. No word on when/if we might upgrade. I've been stable with 4.2.2.176 since finding the corrupted address book entry, but I wanted to close the loop with you re the BES version.

As always, thanks for your help.
    07-09-08 02:49 PM
    Damn, a little old, don't you think? Something tells me your admin doesn't know very much about the network he's responsible for. BES is up to 4.1.5 now.
    07-09-08 08:09 PM
    Damn, a little old, don't you think? Something tells me your admin doesn't know very much about the network he's responsible for. BES is up to 4.1.5 now.
    The fact it took me this long to find out pretty well confirms the knowledge part. Add to that the fact that our IT dep't is extremely conservative when it comes to change. As I said earlier, we're still running XP SP2 and IE 6 SP2.

I asked what would happen when OS4.5 became the factory load for Verizon, but haven't gotten an answer. I did find out that IT does not load the OS on the device before they issue it; the user gets what comes from the factory. So at some point 4.5 will show up and the features that require BES 4.x won't work...
    07-09-08 08:22 PM
    Shame. How much does this bozo make a year. Geeze man, I see this sort of stuff every day. People in positions that they don't know anything about. I'd be scared to be in a work environment that I didn't know anything about... you'd find me reading up as much as possible, which is what that crank monkey should be doing.

As for XP SP2... nothing really wrong with that, but IE6 is a bit overprotective. SP3 is out for XP, but even I'm a bit up in the air on that one currently. However, the dummy surfer/user features of IE7 have saved a few people I know from id10t mistakes.

The thing is... he probably hasn't upgraded anything yet, not because it's some kind of security risk, but rather he's scared to break it. He's one of those "If it ain't broke, don't upgrade it" mentality. The issue is, by the time he/she gets to the point where they "need" to upgrade, the current software is so outdated that the whole upgrade process is much more difficult then it would have been to just upgrade in the first place. Shame...
    07-09-08 11:50 PM
    I have had the same problem for some time, finally got around to troubleshooting it.

I read your thread but couldn't see any similar potential causes. I am on .176, no enterprise server, no untitled contacts....

I did make a correlation with other posts on the internet and for me the problem was GPSed.

I deleted it and everything is back to normal.
    10-17-08 01:41 PM
    I appreciate the feedback. It's an open question whether GPSed is fixed or not. What version were you running when you found the problem? When did you download it?
    10-17-08 02:38 PM
    Removing GPSed seemed to do the trick for me as well. After I deleted the app I was able to remove a number of seemingly phantom contact entries that didn't seem to reside in my desktop address book (The one that syncs with exchange/outlook through the BES). I still have one contact that will not delete. and If I edit it and try to save I get "Address Updated Externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed." So close...
    05-07-10 10:00 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD