I've searched, but I don't know what I'm missing in my queries. Click, press, select, etc.

My trackball finally started having fits, so I ordered a new one off Amazon and replaced it. Now, scrolling is fully back in action, but selecting things from the menus and icons is still screwy. There is no sensation of actually pressing the trackball down. I've even selected items and nothing's happened until I've pressed very firmly.

So, now I'm concerned that I may be doing some kind of internal damage with such "strenuous" selections that I may start using the enter key, but that will take some time for that habit to fully change.

Does anyone know a fix for this?
    11-23-08 06:52 AM
    if you pull out the trackball and look on the circut board under it. there should be a silver metal dome covered by some sort of yellowish sticker. this dome is what you actually are clicking. its not the trackball. on my pearl that dome wore out and actually fell off! no more click feel, and I was unable to use it to select anything. I did find a couple online places that could repair it for about 60 bucks, but I just upgraded to a newer Ebay phone for 70. Might take it into your carrier and see if they can repair it for you.
    11-23-08 08:45 AM
    I have the same problem with my 8110. I cleaned the trackball but the problem isn't there. The problem is under the trackball. My BB is less than a year old but since I bought it from Suncom before T-Mobile bought them T-Mobile won't honor the warranty exchange. RIM will repair it for free but it will be gone for 3-4 weeks.
    12-04-08 12:22 PM
    My 8300 lost the tangible click after a few months, but my trackball select still works great. I do tend to use the enter key whenever I can, though. My wife's trackball started clicking by itself, wouldn't stop. Now it's not usable at all, but it still has the clicky feel that mine lacks. And she won't let me send it in for repair.
    12-04-08 01:18 PM
    ...My wife's trackball started clicking by itself, wouldn't stop. Now it's not usable at all, but it still has the clicky feel that mine lacks. And she won't let me send it in for repair.
    I just came back from verizon store because my trackball started acting like that also. VZW told me that I am one month out of warranty so pay up for a refurb. That was $50 and only a 90 day warranty. I decided to go to the Storm as I used a NE2 and $50 rebate and got out for only $100 and a one year warranty.

Yeah I know it cost me 2 years on the contract but I need the network and am not leaving.
    12-04-08 05:08 PM
    Yeah, my 8830 started "not clicking" about 4 months after I bought it new At least it still selects and works for now. But I really missed that click.

Was contemplating replace/repair, but may as well wait and buy the new whatever it is I'm getting storm/Bold/Javelin...

Should probably do an insurance replacement for a new one before I cancel service on Alltel and jump to wherever...
    12-06-08 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD