I have been using a BB8830 for Sprint for some time now.

I finally have time to come here and ask the million dollar mystery question.

Why can't I see a birthday option in contacts when I edit them?

Also, in Outlook I have everybodys bday there, and most things I need sync from Outlook to BB, but not birthdays.

Im thinking there is a really bold obvious fix to this that I just can't seem to find.

One last quick question .... for some reason everytime I try to upgrade from desktop manager, my internet explorer crashes. Restarted, reinstalled and nothing. Any help on that?

I thank you in advance for the help.
    10-14-08 07:04 AM
    I looked in the Desktop Manager synchronization settings, and Birthdays in Outlook is maps to Birthdays in the Address Book, but mine don't map either. In my case, I assume that's because I'm on BES and my synch is done OTA and controlled by my BES settings, not desktop manager. Could that be the explanation in your case also?
    10-14-08 10:40 AM
    Im thinking BES is business corporate account?
    Im on just a regular plan, and I sync with a cable if that's what your asking.
    10-14-08 08:16 PM
    Im thinking BES is business corporate account?
    Im on just a regular plan, and I sync with a cable if that's what your asking.
    Good, BES IT Policies are not affecting you. If you look in your sync options in Desktop Manager, do you see the Birthday field in Outlook mapped to a Birthday field in Contacts on your device? If it's not, make it so and see if that solves the problem. If it is, and I suspect it will be, then I can't explain it. So far I haven't been able to find anything in the BlackBerry FAQ that explains it, either.

My work-around is to put the birthday information on the calendar. That will sync it to the BlackBerry.
    Last edited by JeffH; 10-14-08 at 11:07 PM.
    10-14-08 09:41 PM
    Thanks for the help Jeff. I couldn't figure it out.

Anyway, with the memory issues with this phone, and now this im just gona switch to a windows mobile phone.
    10-14-08 11:04 PM
    I'm sorry to lose you. I haven't used a WM phone in a long time, so I don't know what the state of the art is there.

The Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig can help you with your memory problem. If you haven't tried it already, you ought to take a look at it before giving up.
    10-14-08 11:09 PM
    I think you have it Jeff - - just a matter of going into the advanced config settings on DTM and mapping the Outlook Birthday field into a field on the B-Berry
    10-14-08 11:28 PM
    I think you have it Jeff - - just a matter of going into the advanced config settings on DTM and mapping the Outlook Birthday field into a field on the B-Berry
    Perhaps it's because I'm on BES, but I have those settings mapped correctly and birthdays don't synch. I've never figured it out, but I haven't tried much since I found an acceptable work-around. I've always been on BES, so there are some things I accept as normal that are completely different from the BIS world.
    10-14-08 11:47 PM
    I played around with it some more. I took a screen shot of what I think you mean.

This is the way it has been, but still no birthday sync.
    10-15-08 02:17 AM
    Im thinking the problem is that blackberry doesn't have a slot for birthdays in the address book, that might be the reason.

I dont use the calendar, just the address book... and this is basically asking me to use the calendar as well?
    10-15-08 02:19 AM
    I can't see your screen shot on the wap forum. There should be a slot for birthdays in the Address Book, because Desktop Manager maps Birthdays in Outlook Contacts to a Birthdays field in the Address Book. I don't know why it doesn't work. It never has for me. I use the Calendar and it works fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-08 08:03 AM
    Im thinking the problem is that blackberry doesn't have a slot for birthdays in the address book, that might be the reason.

I dont use the calendar, just the address book... and this is basically asking me to use the calendar as well?
    Hey I just upgraded to 4.5 (from 4.2) about a week ago and this issue was resolved....there is now a Birthday field on the B-Berry and it synched with my Outlook '03 just fine.
    10-28-08 10:22 PM
    Hey I just upgraded to 4.5 (from 4.2) about a week ago and this issue was resolved....there is now a Birthday field on the B-Berry and it synched with my Outlook '03 just fine.
    Dawg357, I'm on wap and can't tell. What device model did you upgrade?

10-28-08 10:35 PM
    Dawg357, I'm on wap and can't tell. What device model did you upgrade?

Curve 8320 to 4.5
    10-29-08 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD