Hey everyone,

I am going to italy for 2 weeks in august. I am in the process of unlocking my phone. I was wondering if anyone can recommend an italian service provider that offers pre paid sim cards for cheap.

ALSO I read online that I will not be able to buy a sim card in italy (I am american) and thus should buy a prepaid sim before I go from one of these companies online offering them. Is this really true? Or will I be able to walk into a phone store and buy a sim card in rome immediately?

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 01:36 PM
    I did some research on this a while back for one of my wife's coworkers and found that what you need is a municipal code in order to be able to buy sim cards. There are code generators online (I'll have to find them again) but as long as you have that code you should be ok.

this is the one they used and it worked well for the couple weeks they were there -

TIM - Home Page

And here is the code generator - Comuni d'Italia - Servizi al Cittadino e alle Pubbliche Amministrazioni

And this is what you need to do for it - Print it out and take it with you. May make your life easier over there. You can buy the TIM cards in tobacco shops and newstands.

Cognome: surname
    Nome: name
    Comune di nascita (o Stato estero): this is the hardest thing to do! You have to write the name of your country, but you have to do it in Italian! i.e. United States is Stati Uniti, New Zealand is Nuova Zelanda, Germany is Germania, Greece is Grecia, and so on. You can use Babelfish to translate your country's name into Italian, it should work.
    Prov.: if you are not Italian just write EE
    Last edited by arrigoni; 07-16-08 at 03:00 PM.
    07-16-08 02:51 PM
    Thanks for your help. Fortunately, I speak a bit of italian so ill be able to figure it out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD