I'm new to the smart phone scene, and just purchased my first Blackberry. I was offered the insurance coverage from Verizon, but I'm not sure if I should get it. As I understand the policy, in the event that my phone needs to be replaced, I would receive a refurbished phone (not new). $6 or $7 would be tacked onto my bill each month, and I'd have to pay $85 for each claim. If that's the case, am I better off just picking up a refurbished online somewhere (eBay, etc.), or should I get the insurance. I guess I'm curious as to what would be more cost efficient. Thanks in advance for your responses.
    07-13-09 10:56 AM
    what terrible value for your dollar. a "refurbished" phone, are you
    kidding. and with taxes , it adds closer to 10 dollars a month. verizon
    sales misquoted the monthly price and i have been trying for two months
    to remove back insurance costs that i didn't want. it is of no value and
    not worth the money. and what they quoted was vague and closer to a
    monthly charge then the anticipated yearly charge. i think it is corrected
    at this point, if not i will be willing to drop verizon completely. plus at
    85 dollars a claim, couldn't be a bigger ripoff.
    07-13-09 02:40 PM
    Is it cost effective mascirb47? The only way to answer that is to ask your self how hard are you on your phones and can you afford to pay retail for a new one if need be.
    07-13-09 06:18 PM
    At $7 per month that's $84 per year, plus the $85 deductible = $169. So if, at the end of a year you need to make a claim that would likely not be cheaper than buying another.

Plus with most insurance replacements there is a chance that you'd get a refurb but it's not guaranteed.

Even still, I would think insurance would be worth it for the Tour for instance, but not an 8830 WE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 12:23 AM
    We just got a new tour and we'll keep the insurance for the first year. My wife is a klutz and and verizon will charge 450.00 for a new one in contract.
    07-14-09 12:31 AM
    We just got a new tour and we'll keep the insurance for the first year. My wife is a klutz and and verizon will charge 450.00 for a new one in contract.
    Exactly. When you'll be paying $450-$600 for a new device then insurance makes all the sense in the world. I saw that Assurion just raised the deductible and the premium for high-end devices, which really sucks.
    US Cellular uses The Signal, recently acquired by Assurant and I pay $6 per month but only a $50 deductible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 08:00 AM
    INSURANCE=JUST IN CASE.....weather it be 1 day or 11 months you can make the claim. for damge,theft,or loss.
    07-14-09 02:10 PM
    I have an 8830 through verizon with the insurance. I've never been hard on phones but since acquiring my 8830 its gotten wet twice. Once I walked into a lake with it on my hip. The second time I lost it in the yard in the dark and it happened to rain that night. I personally wouldn't go without insurance. The deductible is only $50. For me its been very useful. But I have had to replace 2 in less than 2 years.
    A pdf copy of the contract is available at phoneclaim.com/verizon
    Whether they replace your old phone with a refurb or new one is up to the insurance company. The first one I had replaced came brand new in a verizon box like it came from the store.
    I'm currently waiting for my second replacement because its on backorder through asurion. And even if it is a refurb its still insured. Warranty or not its covered by insurance.
    07-14-09 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD