Hey guys I tried searching for this topic first, but didn't see anything. I'm looking at buying new red housing for my Blackberry 8830 (everyone has black.. It shows smudges way too easy, too) and it's only about $43 on eBay and comes with the little screwdriver you need. My question is, is it a difficult process? The last thing I want to do is mess up my beloved Crackberry.. I've never done anything like this before, but I'm not ******** when it comes to simple unscrewing and putting back together, I guess. I just don't know if anyone's done this before and has any feedback/tips for me? Or cautions? Thanks guys!
    07-11-08 01:58 PM
    That is done a lot.

Here is a video from the site that sells the housing and are a reputable source for parts.

Check it...

07-11-08 03:21 PM
    If you are bored, here is what the search function would yield.

http://forums.crackberry.com/search....archid=3545623
    07-11-08 03:33 PM
    The red sounds like the one you are looking at. I got it and it did make me sweat a bit. Just follow the direction for removal and then the directions for putting it back. To me it is more of a rich almost metalic red burgandy. with a little crimson thrown in. It is so hot looking and people tell me I have very good taste. You will love the red. Mine came with verizon logo and works perfectly all keys are right. The keyboard is amazing after the silver.
    07-11-08 07:15 PM
    The keyboard is amazing after the silver.
    Is the backlighting white with the red keyboard? Hopefully they didn't make another blue blunder!
    07-11-08 07:32 PM
    Hey Quick the red is way cool and very easy to put on but there is one problem with it. Once installed you will have the almost uncontrollable urge to show off you slick new looking berry.
    07-11-08 10:08 PM
    I change the casing for somebody. A BB 8830 WE. It's need a skill to do it. You need good tool to do it. Remember it's small inside, be carefull, don't go too fast if you don't want to break something. For me it goes well, I broke nothing. There a 6 srews to take off and you change the casing. But again, don't go too fast, and be carefull of what you are doing. I don't know where you at, but if you are near I can do it for you.
    07-12-08 05:28 AM
    I just want to replace the outside glass that gotten a few scratches in it.

It it necessary to compltely dissassemble the case to replace that front glass piece?
    07-18-08 10:35 PM
    I changed mine myself and a couple of hints for you:

try not to touch the screens - once you touch them or get any debris on them they are SO hard to get clean!

when you take the front off, there are clips on the sides that hold it on. In the videos, they just pull it off. I did that and ended up bending one of the clips outward and it won't lay flat anymore. This isn't a HUGE deal, but now there's a little gap on the side where the front doesn't sit flush against the black side pieces. I would recommend pulling back the side pieces and then popping the clips off. This will make more sense after you watch the videos and actually start your disassembly.

I don't want to freak you out though - it really is an easy process.
    07-19-08 01:11 AM
    I just want to replace the outside glass that gotten a few scratches in it.

It it necessary to compltely dissassemble the case to replace that front glass piece?
    nope - it's held on by a sticky piece of rubber. There are some YouTube videos on how to do this too, but you don't have to take the phone apart at all.
    07-19-08 01:12 AM
    I changed my housing about a month ago from the silver to the red. It's great. Quite easy to change. Just take your time, watch the videos posted, make sure there is no dust near you and that your hands are clean. It should take no more than 10 minutes. ENJOY!
    07-19-08 03:56 PM
    I am changing mine from the fugly blue to red also, BUT I also got the black keypad (I actually got 2 keypads for it, the AZERTY and the QWERTY one) for it also. Did the keyboard tonight and will do the case tomorrow after I pick it up at the post office.
    Will post pix when I get it done.
    I also got 3 of the skins for it that I will put on extra case parts so that I don't mess up the red one.
    10-14-08 11:04 PM
    will changing the housing void my warrenty?
    12-06-08 03:58 PM
    will changing the housing void my warrenty?
    seeing how you will be breaking the seal on the phone i would say yes it will.
    12-06-08 04:26 PM
    seeing how you will be breaking the seal on the phone i would say yes it will.
    What seal would that be? Seeing as I have disassembled mine a couple of times without seeing any "seal", I was just wondering.

I had a warranty issue with mine about a broken charging port and VZW mailed me a replacement, I just put my original case on the broken phone and sent it in, no questions where ever asked.
    12-06-08 06:59 PM
    What seal would that be? Seeing as I have disassembled mine a couple of times without seeing any "seal", I was just wondering.

I had a warranty issue with mine about a broken charging port and VZW mailed me a replacement, I just put my original case on the broken phone and sent it in, no questions where ever asked.
    Verizon themselves don't care. I am sure that questions were asked when the phone got back to RIM but by then it was too late as they never charged you for it. I assure you that if you read your owners manual you will find a disclaimer validating my statement.
    12-06-08 07:28 PM
    Verizon themselves don't care. I am sure that questions were asked when the phone got back to RIM but by then it was too late as they never charged you for it. I assure you that if you read your owners manual you will find a disclaimer validating my statement.
    You still didn't tell me about the mysterious "seal" that gets broke!
    12-07-08 06:06 PM
    Call verizon and ask them if changing the case voids the warrenty on the phone. The guy asked if it would void his warranty. The correct answer is yes. can you get away with it probably. I was answering the question correctly so if you are getting away with it good for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by gtstang462002; 12-07-08 at 08:24 PM.
    12-07-08 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD