I am so glad I found this site..tons of great info but I (never owned a PDA before) have lots of questions.. I have a verizon 8830

1) I was under the impression that this phone could open and read word & Excel files right out of the box..I am missing something?? Do I have to add this feature somehow or is it standard?

2) I got the phone for world use & while playing with it realized it does not have ANY sim card? Was I supposed to get one (locked) standard with the phone?? (brand new from verizon).??

3) someone sent me a picture from their phone to mine but I cannot even open it to view it?? It says to go to vzwpix.com to see it, I can't imagine that I cannot open it on the phone-Please help.

4)

5) how do I set the home page to a different site?

Thank you in advance...I will be living on this board for a while until I get this phone mastered.
    Last edited by prosport; 08-03-07 at 12:19 AM.
    08-02-07 11:49 PM
    ok, I figured out #4-so scratch that one off the list.
    08-03-07 12:18 AM
    1. No, you'd need a program, like BeamBerry, DocumentsToGo, or something like that. But, if you have Word documents, you could copy the text to a Notepad document, and that can be read directly from the BlackBerry...

2. I believe you get the SIM seperately. But, do a search on here, this has been discussed many times...

3. Odd, but on Verizon BlackBerry's that's how it seems to work.

5. Are you talking about the Internet page, i.e. making it another website as default? From the Browser / Options / Browser Configuration / type address / Save.
    Last edited by anon(153966); 08-03-07 at 11:49 AM.
    08-03-07 02:07 AM
    navilyn

Thanks for the info..
    Question #3 - If that is the case I would think that I could go to vzxpic.com through the BB and login in to see the picture but that does not seem to work..Has anyone tried this before?
    08-03-07 06:57 AM
    I am going to las Vegas tomorrow and wanted to get this ringtone called Elvis vs JXL -little less conversation - but the only place I can find they want $10 a month...I just want the one ringtone.
    Anyone have that one already?? or know of a site that I can but just one ringtone?
    08-03-07 07:49 AM
    My SIM card came with my phone.
    08-03-07 11:34 AM
    I am going to las Vegas tomorrow and wanted to get this ringtone called Elvis vs JXL -little less conversation - but the only place I can find they want $10 a month...I just want the one ringtone.
    Anyone have that one already?? or know of a site that I can but just one ringtone?
    Find the MP3 and then drag it onto your BB through Media Manager with the Desktop Manager....

Cut it about 30 secs...
    08-03-07 12:42 PM
    ok, I'll give that a try.
    08-03-07 09:09 PM
    What about the login ofr verizon pics?? Anyone been successful at looking at a pic via the web on the BB ???
    08-03-07 09:10 PM
    OK, I have the mp3-now can anyone tell me how to cut down to 30 seconds. I want the clip between 15-45 seconds??
    08-03-07 09:48 PM
    I was once able to view a pic on my 8703e on vzwpix.com but when i load that site now i can't even figure out where to login. if anyone else figures this out i'd be interested to hear about it.
    08-03-07 11:14 PM
    OK, I got the ringtone..
    For anyone who is interested I downloaded the mp3 song from limewire. Then I had to get a program that allows you to cut/edit -I had not such programs on either of my two computers. I got mine doing a search on cnet. Then you edit the song -start and stop points (about 30 seconds long) and sent it to my phone and saved as a ringtone. Now if I can only figure out how to get it to this board I will post it up for anyone else who wants it. Today I am heading to the Verizon store to try and get a sim card. (None came with my brand new phone???)
    08-04-07 06:08 AM
    OK, I got the ringtone..
    For anyone who is interested I downloaded the mp3 song from limewire. Then I had to get a program that allows you to cut/edit -I had not such programs on either of my two computers. I got mine doing a search on cnet. Then you edit the song -start and stop points (about 30 seconds long) and sent it to my phone and saved as a ringtone. Now if I can only figure out how to get it to this board I will post it up for anyone else who wants it. Today I am heading to the Verizon store to try and get a sim card. (None came with my brand new phone???)
    You can use windows movie maker to cut down mp3's. It's pretty self-explanatory, especially if you've ever done video editing at all.
    If need be I could probably make a tutorial for it.
    08-06-07 12:35 PM
    wel I was able to get a sim card from verizon for free-but I had to step up the world plan which cost $15 more per month. They said no other way to get around it. They took about 30 minutes to ring me out-the employee and manager did not know how to charge me and register the sim card to me. After a few phone calls they figured it out.

Still have not been able to view a picture on this phone via the phone-through vzwpix ??
    08-16-07 07:54 PM
    You can probably call them back and drop back down to the regular plan while you aren't traveling.
    08-16-07 07:56 PM
    Yeah, I just read that I have 3 months to drop down. Now that I got my phone unlocked I think I may do that.
    08-16-07 09:36 PM
    I am so glad I found this site..tons of great info but I (never owned a PDA before) have lots of questions.. I have a verizon 8830

1) I was under the impression that this phone could open and read word & Excel files right out of the box..I am missing something?? Do I have to add this feature somehow or is it standard?

2) I got the phone for world use & while playing with it realized it does not have ANY sim card? Was I supposed to get one (locked) standard with the phone?? (brand new from verizon).??

3) someone sent me a picture from their phone to mine but I cannot even open it to view it?? It says to go to vzwpix.com to see it, I can't imagine that I cannot open it on the phone-Please help.

4)

5) how do I set the home page to a different site?

Thank you in advance...I will be living on this board for a while until I get this phone mastered.
    I will be living on this board for a while, too. I am a computer geek, but this is the first phone I've ever had that basically is a computer. So far I love it, but I still have a lot to learn also. BUT I can help with #2 because I just went through this. I ordered my BB direct from VZW web site. I thought that I signed up for Global voice service when I ordered the phone, but as it turns out, I never changed my voice service from the Family Share plan. So I had to go to a VZW store to get a SIM.

They gave me a choice. I could buy the SIM out-right for $35, or sign up for the global voice plan for $20 per month more than my old plan, and get the SIM free. BUT I was told that I can cancel the global voice plan until I need it. So, I went with the Global voice plan. Even if they charge me for a whole month, it was cheaper than the $35. I was also told that if I have the Global plan for longer than 3-months and then switch back to Family Share, that will extend my contract with VZW by the amount of time that I was on the Global plan. WHATEVER. I don't care about that. I like VZW voice service in my home area it works great.
    08-16-07 10:17 PM
    got my sim from the store-they told me I had to get the global plan..It was the only way if I wanted the sim card to work. Last night I got my phone unlocked and I think I will just return the sim and go back down off the global plan. since I can now just get a sim card in the country I go to.
    08-17-07 06:28 AM
    got my sim from the store-they told me I had to get the global plan..It was the only way if I wanted the sim card to work. Last night I got my phone unlocked and I think I will just return the sim and go back down off the global plan. since I can now just get a sim card in the country I go to.
    I plan on doing the same thing EXCEPT I think it would be a better idea to keep the SIM card and just cancel the Global voice plan. It has been less than 24-hours since I signed up for the global voice plan, even if they VZW charges me for the whole month, it was cheaper than buying the card @ $35
    08-17-07 09:57 AM
    I plan on doing the same thing EXCEPT I think it would be a better idea to keep the SIM card and just cancel the Global voice plan. It has been less than 24-hours since I signed up for the global voice plan, even if they VZW charges me for the whole month, it was cheaper than buying the card @ $35
    Hmmm.. they told me that the global plan and sim card are connected and that was only way I could even get the sim was if I signed up for the extra service-so I am sure they will want the card back?? Maybe you know something different??
    08-17-07 02:24 PM
    I get pics sent to me all the time and on my BB (same one you have..) I click on that vzwpix link and sign in... then the pic pops right up... its really easy I think.. I'm not sure what the problem is unless you haven't set up a vzwpix account?
    08-17-07 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD