Hi all, I just found your website and I'm very happy I did!

I currently have verizon and am still under contract so I can't switch to another carrier, but I need to have a phone to travel overseas with, specifically to Japan.

I've been looking at purchasing the 8830 WE, partially because it's the only phone Verizon has that will work overseas--and partially because I need something more sophisticated than the one I have now.

I'm hoping you all can help me with my questions:

Do you like your phone? Is there anything you don't like about it? Why/Why not?

Has anyone used this phone outside of the US in another country? What country? How did it work? Did your other features (e-mail, IM, internet, address book, etc) all work over there?

Are there any known problems with this phone? (i.e. shorter battery life, 1st generation problems, problems after much usage, apps not working, roaming problems, etc)

Should I just pay the minimum on the verizon plan and get a plan with someone else that works better? If so, who and why?

How much do you pay for your services on your phone per month? Who with?

Do you think it's worth the $520 outright--or should I try to find one on e-bay or somewhere else?

Thank you all so much for your help--hopefully I will be a crackberry user soon!
    05-08-08 10:32 PM
    I might be wrong, but I don't think the 8830 will work in Japan due to the difference in network frequencies. Does anyone else know for sure?
    05-08-08 10:44 PM
    Here is a link to a thread on the subject.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/bb-8...te-japan-2679/

BB's are great smartphones and this the best place to learn about them peppermintrei. It's a good thing you are doing your preplanning before you buy.
    05-08-08 10:53 PM
    Thanks for the help!

Well that stinks--anyone have a phone and service provider that does work over there?
    05-08-08 11:08 PM
    Did you read this info that kasprapd had linked in the thread I linked in my last post?

Japanese Cellular Phones FAQ
    05-08-08 11:22 PM
    Do you think it's worth the $520 outright--or should I try to find one on e-bay or somewhere else?
    I wouldn't pay $500, I found mine on craigslist for $200. The guy lost or broke his, went with a different model and sold me the brand new one that he got under insurance.
    05-10-08 10:09 AM
    I wouldn't pay $500, I found mine on craigslist for $200. The guy lost or broke his, went with a different model and sold me the brand new one that he got under insurance.
    There is no better place to find a bargain!
    05-10-08 10:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD