I got a call from a friend a couple of days back and I do not have his number written down. I'd like to look through my incoming calls to check the number, but the call log seems to be filled with random contacts from my list and does not show an actual list of calls recieved or made.

Where do I find the list of calls recieved?

I've been into the Messages Menu, the Call Logs and other places, but I can't find the list.
    Last edited by davidmcc; 02-05-09 at 05:36 AM.
    02-03-09 07:28 PM
    The full Call Log is in a folder under Messages. To see it, select Messages / Menu / View Folder / Phone Call Logs. You get 30 days of entries in the Messages Call Log folder.

If your friend's number is not in this list, then something is erasing your Call Log. That's a common symptom of low Free Memory. What do you show for Options / Status / File Free? If your value is less than 12 000 000 bytes, low memory may be causing your call log to be deleted. The Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig will help you in that case.
    02-03-09 08:24 PM
    OK ... I had just under 9 000 000 free instead of the recommended 12.

I deleted all my personal pictures ( both of them *grin*) and a few aps that I haven't been using as recommended by the MOP.

I now have 6 856 462 free. LESS than before! What happened?

I have a 2 gig memory card in there too which doesn't seem to be usable for much of anything.
    Last edited by davidmcc; 02-04-09 at 05:44 AM.
    02-04-09 05:40 AM
    Is that 6 856 462 after a battery pull? Is something running in the background? Alt-Esc will show you your running applications. There are 5 you can't close: Messages, Home Screen, Browser, Call Log, and Messenger (if you use it). Is anything else running?
    02-04-09 05:59 AM
    I learned 2 good bits in this thread...

First of all, I was about to rant about how difficult it is to pull up the call log. On most other phones, it would be right there under the phone app. Well, sure enough it's there under the phone app on my BB 8830 as well. Whew. I suppose I don't mind that I have to go to messages->view folder->call logs to see older entries because I don't need to look at 3 day old call entries that often.

Then there's the memory thing. I've been getting the feeling my phone is running low on memory. It hovers around 6 meg most of the time but sometimes dips to 2 meg. My call log goes back the full 30 days so I don't think it's dipping low enough long enough to be a problem. If I notice the beachball too often, I run quickpull and get back up around 10 meg. I wish I could leave Nintai running without it eating memory like pacman.
    02-04-09 07:00 AM
    In addition to the standard five, I have the Stowaway Keyboard and Empower e-mail. I'm up to about 9.5 after the battery pull.
    02-04-09 07:55 AM
    Talk about obscure - I found out by experiment that I had the General Options> Phone List View set to "Name".
    Switching it to "Call Log" brought up the call log - unfortunatly it just has my last outgoing call, but at least it's now showing the log.

It must have reset when I last updated the software - along wiith other stuff that I've already reset to the way I want it.

Like any tech, it's great when it works right and very annoying if it doesn't.

Thanks for the help!
    02-04-09 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD