Newbie here. Just got the 8830, in fact I published a brief review of it on my site. My question- I set up the 8830 with a BES through my hosted Exchange Server. This works great and allowed OTA configuration and syncing. Do I also need to install something on the desktop so I can install stuff on the 8830? TIA.
    07-01-07 11:23 AM
    No, you can do OTA installs if you want.
    07-01-07 11:27 AM
    That makes sense to me so I haven't installed anything on the desktop yet. Is there any other configuration benefits I would get from installing the desktop stuff? Do I need it to set up tethering?
    07-01-07 11:30 AM
    Maybe a better question is- will installing the desktop mgr software screw up anything with the BES setup?
    07-01-07 11:31 AM
    Maybe a better question is- will installing the desktop mgr software screw up anything with the BES setup?
    No, it won't screw anything up. You will need to install the desktop software anyway to upgrade the OS. Remeber when you upgrade the OS when on a BES, you will need to get your device added back to the BES.

One other point worth mentioning. My OTA synchronization didn't pick up any calendar entries that were created over 30 days ago, even if a recurrence took place in present and future weeks. I had to do a manual synch and then renable wireless sync to get all my calendar entries.
    07-01-07 11:55 AM
    OK, I installed the BB Desktop Mgr software, duly selecting up front that I have a BES connection. Since installing it I am no longer getting my Exchange email on the BB. How do I re-enable the wireless BES email. Note I do NOT have redirector running so that's not my problem. I have never synced the 8830 to the desktop Outlook as that would defeat the purpose of having the BES. Do I perhaps need to do that once anyway and could that be my problem?
    07-01-07 01:55 PM
    Desktop Manager would only be needed for backups, that's it. You can still browse the memory card from the device, by just connecting the device to a pc, and opening My Computer (after selecting yes on the device to enable mass storage)...
    07-01-07 02:49 PM
    I'm a BB nubie myself, but while in messages open the menu goto options and check under settings, Filters and Reconciliation to ensure that all the settings allow email to be sent to your handheld.

I have Desktop Manager setup on my work laptop and on my home desktop and got no ill effects on my email delivery.

I have a coworker who has had a BB on BES for over a year without installing Desktop Manager. When I switched to BB he warned me about loading junk games and software onto my BB since he couldn't figure out how to remove them from his 8703 :-)
    07-01-07 02:52 PM
    [QUOTE=Sniperet;15173]I'm a BB nubie myself, but while in messages open the menu goto options and check under settings, Filters and Reconciliation to ensure that all the settings allow email to be sent to your handheld.
    QUOTE]

That did it! For some reason installing the desktop mgr reset the Filters setting to not send mail to the device when no filters were defined. How stupid is that? Thanks again!
    07-01-07 02:58 PM
    Problem resolved. Installing the desktop manager changed the Filter setting in the device email settings to NOT send email to the device if no filters were specified. How stupid is that? Thanks to all who replied.
    07-01-07 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD