I'm interested in hearing about the existing 8830s out there, how long have you had the device and what phone is next for you?

I'm sure your eyeing a new device, there are many options out there, which will you go with?

For myself, I've started in the world of blackberry with an 8700e, and after 5 months the 8830 was avail be to me. I had to have it. I've had this phone ever since, its over 2 years now. Its not perfect but it works and very dependable. New apps and OS bring new life into it!

In terms of a new device, I'm on the fence. I like my service from US Cellular, they are readable and cost effective, problem is that they do not always have the new sexy phones, and they are just about always late to adopt or roll technology out.

So, I'm staying with my service and going to wait to see what new bb phone they will get. I'm guessing the Curve Bold, not sure what the # is for it, but I think this is what we'll get. I was interested in the iPhone but seems like to much of a toy gadget for me - can't believe I'm saying that! Plus its on ATT and I'm not going to pay a premium for minutes!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 10:04 PM
    im waiting for the jupiter to come to Sprint, ive had my 8830 for nearly 2 years also, but it just works, right now it fits me well, ill use this 8830 till it dies,by then the jupiter is also affordable as well
    03-07-09 10:10 PM
    The Niagra is my next BB. Its supposed to be the replacement for the WE so that's were I'm going!

03-08-09 09:51 AM
    I started me new contract with verizon last summer with an lg dare and soon got sick of it(went through four all the speakers magically went out every time) and then I saw the 8830 for sale used. So I gave it a try and now I'm in love with it I've had ir for a month and I know my next phone will be another bb even though I wanted an iphone so bad before!

03-08-09 10:18 AM
    The Niagra is my next BB. Its supposed to be the replacement for the WE so that's were I'm going!

If that's true, then that's where my next investment will be. I need another world phone for my business. Not a US restriction.
    03-08-09 11:02 AM
    I've only had mine for a just over a month but like it alot. I use sprint so I have another year to go until I am eligible for a discounted upgrade, so I will wait atleast until then. My problem is it seems that all the new phones all have cameras and I cant have one in my phone if I want to carry it at work
    03-08-09 11:53 AM
    Loved my 8830. Bold was next for me. And while ATT is not perfect, I'm not sure I understand the premium minutes comment.

03-08-09 12:04 PM
    I've only had mine for a couple months (8830) and really like it. I came from palm phones which I got tired of all the resets on so I switched. There coming out with the PRE and I may half to watch and see how that works out for people.
    03-08-09 11:14 PM
    I've had my phone for a month now and I can't leave the thing alone, lol. I thought I'd hate the fact that it doesn't have a camera, but its too easy to take pics with my digital camera and transfer them to the 8830. Even though this phone came out 2 years ago, I'm not really concerned about having the latest and greatest cell phone, so I plan on keeping this one until it falls apart
    03-09-09 01:03 AM
    My husband and I spent about an hour yesterday at Verizon playing with the Storm. Although I don't need to have the 'latest greatest' phone, I'm so tired of doing battery pulls because of the 8830's lack of memory. I can't run all of the apps that I want- and they are relatively minimal. I also miss having a camera, and being able to open MMS messages without going into my account on VZW's website. What a pain! That being said, I've had the phone for about 2 1/2 years, and it has been incredibly reliable in all other respects.

I'm not crazy about the Storm. It's extremely difficult to text/email on. I'm sure that the user gets used to it in time. Other than that, I like all of its other features. I'm definitely torn right now. On the plus side, we can get a 'buy a Storm, get a Storm or any other BB free.' It would cost us $75 each for the Storm with a 2-year contract. I'm extremely tempted.
    03-09-09 06:11 AM
    I've had my 8830 for just a tad under a year now and honestly I am considering just biting the bullet and getting a Curve. Sprint is really dragging their feet and I'm about ready to punch a panda.
    03-09-09 08:45 AM
    I like my 8830 alot although as phones get better and better its starting to seem more minimal.
    03-09-09 11:52 AM

I'm with Joey, I can't wait to check out the Niagra. I've had my 8830we for about 18 months it has been a solid BB and with 4.5.0.127 like a new BB.
    I tried a Storm for 3 dismal days in Nov 2008.
    03-09-09 11:56 AM
    Kwilson..Why were your few days with the Storm dismal? What was the biggest problem?

I'm with Joey, I can't wait to check out the Niagra. I've had my 8830we for about 18 months it has been a solid BB and with 4.5.0.127 like a new BB.
    I tried a Storm for 3 dismal days in Nov 2008.
    03-09-09 01:44 PM
    Kwilson..Why were your few days with the Storm dismal? What was the biggest problem?

So I was one of the unlucky users that got a Storm with bad hardware and Bad OS code during the launch weekend in Nov 2008. It took me 3 hours to set EST time zone. Once I got that set after every call if I tried to type a email the S and or T key would lockup. I also did not like the �feel of� the web browser. After 3 days trying to use this on my BES I had VZW over night me a new Storm, I sent the bad unit back and sold my new unit on eBay making a nice profit. I then discovered the Beta OS's for the 8830 and I've not looked back. Now that I have TetherBerry loaded I'm even happier!
    03-09-09 01:53 PM
    Have had my 8830 for about a year and am very happy with it. Very reliable and sturdy......I wouldn't mind the Niagra though

03-09-09 04:56 PM
    Can't wait until the Niagra Falls!!! Wow that was lame! lol!
    03-09-09 05:02 PM
    When it dies

03-10-09 04:13 PM
    I had many many many problems with 8830. I switched to 8350i with nextel. Its not perfect, but iam not pulling the bat every hour

03-10-09 08:54 PM
    I love my 8830... Next up for me will probably be the 9630... Assuming it comes to Sprint sometime this decade... Lol

03-11-09 10:04 AM
    My 8830 has been quite good and I never had to pull the battery. The problem that you experienced is most likly caused by buggy apps that you loaded onto the phone. OS 4.5 is also quite good on the phone and improves the memory performance.

I had many many many problems with 8830. I switched to 8350i with nextel. Its not perfect, but iam not pulling the bat every hour

03-11-09 03:24 PM
    Depending on price I may go with the Niagra on VZW when it comes out. It has to be great for me to give up my 8830.
    03-11-09 04:48 PM
    hey cell geek I had no apps loaded on phone. the phone would loose books or loose service.
    03-11-09 07:23 PM
    I started with BB June 2008. I heard the "Next new Phone" was coming so I bought a used 8830 and signed onto Verizon. My bill was $150 per month for BB when I added limited text messaging. I had No GPS, no TV. I decided to move to Sprint which has the simply everything plan for $100 per month but I mistakenly kept waiting for them to get the Niagra. You know the story... next month for sure. In February I switched to Sprint and bought a new used 8830 from a board member reasoning I would eventually get the new phone. Meanwhile I joined the boards and the members here have been great. I was helped in downloading the 4.5.0.135 OS, and TV. I have unlimited text messaging, GPS and TV. If I stayed with VZ I would have been nickled and dimed up to $170 so I am saving big time. Recently I bought the Tetherberry and it works great. The 8830 is a real business machine. I love the phone and I am saving. I am no longer waiting for the new phone. Why get the first Niagara and go thru the early stage problems of tweaks to the OS and firmware upgrades. The 8830 is a magnificent piece of equipment and I intend to keep it for a long while.
    Last edited by RidingRight; 03-22-09 at 09:43 PM. Reason: clarify
    03-22-09 09:34 PM
    I love my 8830we. I would like something a little newer though. I get jealous of all of the apps with the storm and iphone. I have had my phone around 2 years and been through about 4 of them. one due to water damage...dont drop them in the tub! the others were weird problems.
    I love the ease of typing and the updated OS. Thanks Crackberry people!
    03-23-09 02:27 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD