03-17-10 12:45 AM
95 1234
tools
    Hey this was a great insight, I used your intructions as a rough guide to get me started. I have a 8820 and at this time have not seen any support for this specific model on AT&T as it has only been out a few days now.

modified the lbs.alx by hand removing 3 seperate references to vendor 102 being AT&T. I also deleted the vendor file as you suggested. Took a while for it to get started up after install was done. Done a battery pull and let it keep loading.. maps working great now.

Now if only I could get the map data to download to my device over my wi-fi insted of the EDGE since I am on pay per use agreement right now :|

Thanks again!
    09-27-07 12:44 PM
    Have you tried GoogleMaps? They are quite good. You can also get directions
    10-16-07 04:49 PM
    Here is my problem; I followed the directions to the"T" until I was suppose to rename the LBS.alx file. When I went to Programs Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/, there are no other folders. No 'Shared Folder no Loader Files folder. I have loaded the current Desktop Manager software. Why is this? Any ideas?
    Other thing, I have no idea how to install Google maps on the blackberry 8800. When I download the file, how do I sync it to the device?
    Last edited by eddimax1; 11-06-07 at 04:31 PM.
    11-06-07 04:27 PM
    Hi, I opening the attached .zip file after downloading it to my computer but it gave an error message saying that it is invalid. Could you kindly send me a valid version of the file? Thanks alot.
    11-09-07 09:50 AM
    Hi, I opening the attached .zip file after downloading it to my computer but it gave an error message saying that it is invalid. Could you kindly send me a valid version of the file? Thanks alot.
    11-09-07 09:54 AM
    hey- this ability to get Maps on the 8800, will we eventually be able to use maps without data package, just gps?
    11-13-07 05:46 AM
    No, all map programs so far require data.
    11-13-07 09:28 AM
    The zip file no longer works. Just download the correct OS for your BB to your PC, and then find the LBS.alx file. Open it and edit it. Remove or replace your vendor ID.
    11-13-07 09:29 AM
    Where can I download BB MAps to my computer not my Blackberry,
    11-15-07 12:53 PM
    OK, I guess I screwed everything up now. When I remove the battery and start my ATT 8800 up, it has an error of "Uncaugth exception:Jjava.lang.Error". Push "OK" a couple of time and it goes away. I've removed all 102 strings from the LBS file. Tried to get the OS from T-mobile but it wants to send it to me. What to do next?

Also, where can I find Google Maps for the 8800. Leaving on a trip next Monday and kind of wanted to get something working by than.

Thanks for any help.
    11-15-07 03:30 PM
    Google Maps
    11-16-07 05:11 PM
    does anyone know if it is possible to watch YOUTUBE videos on your BB Curve? Thanks in advance
    12-10-07 09:45 AM
    Yes it is, and please post your questions in the appropriate location. Not in a thread about BB Maps. Please use the search feature and you will find several thread about You Tube.
    12-10-07 09:58 AM
    i can see BB maps under settings --> advanced settings --> applications
    but i cant find the icon. what does this mean? i have an unlocked AT&T 8820
    12-14-07 12:02 PM
    so i just reinstalled BB maps and now i can use it. the problem is that for some reason, my GPS isnt registering. it just keeps saying searching for satelites. as well under settings --> Advanced --> Gps all the figures there are zero. Do i need to turn on my GPS somehow? I am on Fido, with just a regular voice plan (i.e. no data). thanks for your help
    12-14-07 04:34 PM
    Hey,

I am new to BB use and could do with some help please. I have a 8820 on Orange in the UK. Initially BB Maps was not on the device and I had to download it from the BB website. Is there a way to have the Map Data stored on the device itself rather than have it streamed by the Network provider? Is it a normal function of BB Maps to have the data streamed rather than stored on the device, or have Orange removed the facility to do this?

Additionally I have a home Wi-Fi network setup and have tried to use this to download the software, but to no avail. The Wi-Fi symbol shows as yellow in the 'Manage Connections' facility, and the Wi-Fi logo shows as light blue on the desktop rather than black. Is there something I am missing? My network configuration uses a PSK and WPA security configuration. I have set up a profile in my device, but there is still limited functionality. Is this Orange playing silly beggars again?

Thanks
    12-19-07 12:41 PM
    do i need to insert the sim card ?
    12-30-07 07:57 AM
    Hello everyone, here is a happy new BB user. I got my BB two days ago from att/cingular, NO data plan (I just double checked this). Just for curiosity, I followed OP's instructions and turned on GPS/maps. Guess what, I had it up and running! Maps dynamically loaded, I can see the symbol of EDGE and data traffic going on and off. Unfortunately, no email and web brower.

Anyone can explain this? Is it a temporary promotion from att or I turned on some "secret" service unintentionally and should keep quiet about it? The maps are good but no dynamicall re-route and turn-by-turn voice direction (or I missed something?) Is there any better software I can use? And my understanding is that the data service is required only to load maps on the fly. Can I pre-load all maps and use BB as a standalone GPS w/o data service?
    01-31-08 01:54 PM
    Hi I have an 8800 series BB with BB Maps installed, what I would like to do is get some local map data onto my SD card to save me running up data transfer bills. Is this possible?
    02-01-08 07:02 AM
    Anyone who figures this out, how to get map data installed on a SD card better broadcast it to the universe!
    02-01-08 07:10 AM
    I had BB Maps working, so, I backed up my 8800, and than started having a problem with the phone service. Restored my old backup, and found out that the problem was with AT&T. Restored the backup with BB Maps, and I can no longer see the BB Maps icon. Any suggestions, I tried re-installing maps but still no ICON. Also, rebooted by taking battery out and putting it back.
    02-01-08 12:50 PM
    BB maps doesn't work for me.
    If you are not in the US you might like to see if your country is covered before you install.
    Click this link to Blackberry's coverage page.
    BlackBerry - PDA GPS - BlackBerry Maps at BlackBerry.com
    04-01-08 03:59 AM
    for some reason i cant find these...

Shared\LoaderFiles\8800-v4.2.1.74_P2.3.0.54

...is anyone else having this problem? can anyone please help me figure out why there not there or not shown?
    05-26-08 04:49 PM
    So I do have BB Maps installed Im guessing I need some sort of data plan for this to work..? Not sure why cause I do have telenav it works fine I can also connect to the internet wich also works fine..Do I have to actually download the map of region Im in (BC Canada) from somewhere..?
    05-28-08 10:14 AM
    Sorry I should have also mentioned I do have GPS with Rogers on my account.When I open BB Maps it connects to the satellites shows the N arrow & mph but only the lines show up.I've waited for 10 minutes to see if the map would ever show but it doesnt load..Any idears..?
    05-30-08 02:18 PM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD