08-07-10 09:44 PM
49 12
tools
    Verizon 8830, new software. Currently all my messages are going to the one mailbox( with the flag ). This includes my work email, plus my AOL mail, which is mainly personal. I created another folder on my home screen and labeled it AOL mail, but how do I have the AOL mail sent to this new folder and not the general message box? Thanks.
    06-01-07 06:28 AM
    searching for answers is a good thing. We've discussed this many times on here...

Nonetheless, go to messages / options / general options / sms and email inboxes / change it from theme controlled...
    06-01-07 07:01 AM
    nav, hit it on the head, before I hit save
    06-01-07 07:02 AM
    I am a newbie to the forum and I didn't see it on the 8830 site. I will attempt to change it and report back. Again. Thanks. Also, Verizon has just posted an online guide for the 8830, previously this page did not work. It is accessed by putting the disc from Verizon that came with the 8830 into the computer and pulling the site up.
    Last edited by jimbo1mcm; 06-01-07 at 10:02 AM.
    06-01-07 10:00 AM
    No problem. To be honest, there a 101+ tips and tricks that are NEVER listed on the carriers website. But, check here!
    06-01-07 10:07 AM
    with all due respect, i think he was asking how to have emails from different addresses sent to different/separate folders, not to separate emails and sms messages
    i haven't been able to find this info either
    06-02-07 05:00 PM
    rmt, if you're using the 4.2 O.S (no matter the device) ALL emails go into the same pool (messages). Yes, when you first add the email accounts it adds an icon for each account. But, the emails are still in both places, messages & the respective icon for that email account...
    06-02-07 05:19 PM
    jimbo1mcm, if according to rmt, we didn't answer your question, please advise...
    06-02-07 05:21 PM
    Navilyn, it looks like I and others have a little problem with separation. When I turn on my Blackberry 8830, and go to the home page, I want to be able to click an icon and view JUST my workmail. Then, if I desire, I can view less important AOL personal email, for which I have an icon set up.

I did go to Message, options, etc and moved from THEME to SEPARATE. When I did that, it did give me a separate SMS icon, into which all the missed calls go. That helps relieve the email load, however ALL EMAIL MESSAGES STILL GO INTO THE MESSAGE ICON. For my AOL mail, it is duplicated in the AOL icon.

Without doing searches for particular mails, is there ANY way to REALLY SEPARATE MAIL?

I am doubtful at this point, unless Blackberry or other forum members have found a solution. Thanks. Jimbo
    06-03-07 05:20 AM
    No can do, unless you find a theme that may do it.
    06-03-07 06:08 AM
    i've set up searches with shortcuts attached to separate messages in my inbox. i have yahoo and work email come to my device. i've set up a search for my yahoo email address and attached "alt y" as a shortcut and done the same for my work email with a different letter for that shortcut.

i do have to click on messages, then activate one of these searches, but it is relatively painless to do so.
    06-12-07 10:48 PM
    @ jimbo1mcm
    i believe that what u are trying to do is have each mail box separate from each other. once you set up a mail box it gets it's own icon(folder) and sms messages get their own icon(folder) as well. now highlight messages icon(folder) and hit menu button. select hide. hit menu button again and make sure show all is unchecked. now instead of having the redundancy of the message folder you have each separate email/sms folder. this probably isnt clear until after you've done it but oh well i'm new
    Last edited by devereauxx; 06-12-07 at 11:52 PM.
    06-12-07 11:49 PM
    devereauxx - nice workaround, but I have to believe there's a better way. If anybody finds a way to separate business e-mails from personal (such as Hotmail) e-mails, please post a reply. As my BB 8300 stands right now, the hotmail e-mails are under a separate icon, but they also show up in my business e-mail icon.
    06-18-07 06:45 AM
    go into your email folder and hit menu button/options/general options/sms and email boxes set to separate

this is all i've done and EACH email accounts and text messages are getting just their respective docs.

this keeps everything separate for me
    06-18-07 09:44 AM
    Nice little trick, but it does not help BES users...
    06-18-07 10:04 AM
    I've already caught **** elsewhere regarding my comments on the 8830 and how much I miss my Treo. The ability to read mail and browse my contacts is great with the BB, really love it. But anything more is an incredible hassle and everthing requires dozens of keystrokes I don't have time nor should I need to do. No keystroke assignments on the menus, etc.

I'm looking for a simple box of all my sms messages. Can't find this yet it is perhaps the most basic function on any phone. Trying to find a keypad so I can see what numbers correspond to what letters. I'm told there is some key combo I am supposed to register to make the tones work by pressing any letter but it doesn't solve my problem of needing to see the chart. Nothing. I had to get a picture of a phone and keep it in my blackberry - ridiculous. I spent a week with my "new messages" indicator reading 1 message. Looked forever for it. No dice. Rebooting eventually solved the problem but no way to reset indicators.

I want to really like the Blackberry but the 8830 is like a half-baked attempt to move the BB beyond just email and contacts, which the BB does very well. It's very frustrating and I would even live with my Treo's daily 20 second lockup not to deal with this unintuitive system. I hope that BB users won't applaud RIM so much and put them against the wall to produce something that gets the job done reasonably.
    06-23-07 02:05 PM
    searching for answers is a good thing. We've discussed this many times on here...

Nonetheless, go to messages / options / general options / sms and email inboxes / change it from theme controlled...
    hello,
    i have a bb 8800G , and i do not see the SMS & Email Inbox option under GENERAL OPTIONS> my last option under general options is "keep messages for # days".

I have looked everywhere, but cannot find it. I am not longer on BES, but rather on Internet Email Accounts.

Could the fact that I don't see the option have anything to do with the BlackBerry theme selected? (I have downloaded a theme called WAVE)

Any advice would be more than appreciated

/mk
    06-24-07 02:30 PM
    OMG, you guys are so silly. I have 2 email boxes and keep those separated. I also have my SMS messages separated and kept in my SMS box. Go into an email box. Hit menu and then Options, go to General Options. Then the last option on the bottom is SMS and Email Inboxes: Set this to SEPARATE! Then go to your Phone, hit menu and then Options. Go to Call Logging and set it to None. This will keep call log messages from invading your Messages box. You can easily see all the call logs anyway by hitting Send once from the home menu so the logging into Messages is a USELESS feature. What you're left with now is separate email boxes and SMS boxes. The Messages box still reads ALL of your separate email boxes together, but you can hide this icon if it bothers you that much.

Also, to dial a number that has letters in it, for instance 1-800-ICANTBLACKBERRY, just dial that. Type the number and spell out the words, the BB will autodial the correct number when you hit Send. I can't tell you how many people I've seen puzzled by this and when I tell them what the resolution is (which isn't really a resolution, it's just the way it works) they have this look on their face like I just told them the meaning of life. I know, it's something none of us would ever try and actually do because it's too simple of a function. This is why I keep telling people that it seems Apple people designed the Blackberry.... some of it's root functions are too much of a "duh", that people make it too complex.

Good luck everyone.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 06-24-07 at 03:13 PM.
    06-24-07 03:07 PM
    OMG, you guys are so silly. I have 2 email boxes and keep those separated. I also have my SMS messages separated and kept in my SMS box. Go into an email box. Hit menu and then Options, go to General Options. Then the last option on the bottom is SMS and Email Inboxes: Set this to SEPARATE! Then go to your Phone, hit menu and then Options. Go to Call Logging and set it to None. This will keep call log messages from invading your Messages box. You can easily see all the call logs anyway by hitting Send once from the home menu so the logging into Messages is a USELESS feature. What you're left with now is separate email boxes and SMS boxes. The Messages box still reads ALL of your separate email boxes together, but you can hide this icon if it bothers you that much.
    Does anyone know where this setting is for the Pearl? (8100)

Also, to dial a number that has letters in it, for instance 1-800-ICANTBLACKBERRY, just dial that. Type the number and spell out the words, the BB will autodial the correct number when you hit Send. I can't tell you how many people I've seen puzzled by this and when I tell them what the resolution is (which isn't really a resolution, it's just the way it works) they have this look on their face like I just told them the meaning of life. I know, it's something none of us would ever try and actually do because it's too simple of a function. This is why I keep telling people that it seems Apple people designed the Blackberry.... some of it's root functions are too much of a "duh", that people make it too complex.

Good luck everyone.
    What about call in systems? If I need to dial someone's name into a directory, the BB doesn't translate for me right?
    06-28-07 01:39 PM
    I'm also relatively new to the BB (is less than a week "relatively" new??). Anyway, I have the same problem with separating emails (work - BES/personal - BIS). The BIS email boxes definitely have their own icon on the home page, but the only place for the BES messages is in the Messages folder, where ALL my emails show up. Thought I found a solution by changing the color associated with work emails and personal emails (device options > Security options > General Settings > Message Background Colors). Changed Enterprise Messages to Blue, and Other Messages to Green. Unfortunately, this didn't change the colors of the messages in the Message list (unlike what Help said it would do), but when I open ANY message, I now have a blue and white diagonally striped background inside the message!! To verify that's what caused the problem, I undid the colors, and everything went back to normal. Is this a real bug, or is my BB s/w just acting up?
    Last edited by sbcrair; 07-20-07 at 11:35 PM.
    07-20-07 11:24 PM

Good luck everyone.
    BTW, tried this on the 8830, and it didn't work. At all. I guess I'm just silly...
    07-21-07 03:44 PM
    OMG, you guys are so silly.

Good luck everyone.
    BTW, tried this on the 8830, and it didn't work. At all. I guess I'm just silly...
    OK...figured it out...on the 8830, to dial letters in a number (eg, 1-800-ICANTBLACKBERRY), from the home screen (or in the phone app), dial 1800, then hold down the Alt key, and type the letters ICANTBLACKBERRY. Then hit the phone key as normal, and the BB will translate the letters to numbers, and dial the appropriate number. Sure not obvious...
    07-22-07 11:44 PM
    I still can't seperate my work email from my gmail and school email... i like everyone else that's posted have seperate folders from gmail and school email but the work email only goes to the messages folder... something like that color coding would at least be a step in the right direction... at some point a solution has to happen so work email can be seperate from the rest because this seems to be happening for anyone with work email

Thanks in advance if anyone has a solution because i haven't found one searching yet.
    08-30-07 12:41 PM
    Is it just me or doesn't it seem a little crazy that RIM wouldn't accomodate this problem that A LOT of people seem to be having. All we want to do is SEPERATE OUR EMAILS! I couldn't see what this would be so hard to do. Thanks to all that answered, I have been searching and searching for a solution and now at least I can stop.

Thanks,

Paul
    08-30-07 04:40 PM
    I just don't get it, what's the big deal about having emails seperate? You know who emails you, and you know which account (email address) that said person has, so...
    08-30-07 05:16 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD