Last night I was using google maps and it locked up. I decided to look something up on operamini and it wouldn't connect. I imagine it was because google maps was still trying to perform the last function. How do I force a program like google maps etc. to quit? Usually I have just been doing a batter pull, but that is a pain. I did a search of the forums and found no help.

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-08 10:36 AM
    Try holding down the escape key (curvy arrow to the right of trackball) or hitting the menu key (left of trackball) and selecting exit or quit

02-17-08 12:53 PM
    I've done that and to no avail. In fact I just ran google maps again and it locked up my internet again. I'm getting pretty tired of this battery pull crap. Has anyone else had this problem?

02-17-08 01:18 PM
    I would suggest removing google maps, doing a battery pull then reinstall gmaps.

02-17-08 01:23 PM
    Hey JJohnson311

I Sounds Like It's Not Your BlackBerry, More Like Google Maps Is Messing With Your Phone. Delete The Application And Re-Install It, It May Work.
    02-17-08 01:25 PM
    I would suggest removing google maps, doing a battery pull then reinstall gmaps.

You Beat Me To The Punch GadgetGeek
    02-17-08 01:26 PM
    I'll give it a try and report back. Does anyone have further information about forcing a program to quit? I heard you can conserve battery life by only having minimal programs running. Some of them have a "exit" function while others don't and continue to run in the background.

02-17-08 01:51 PM
    I'll give it a try and report back. Does anyone have further information about forcing a program to quit? I heard you can conserve battery life by only having minimal programs running. Some of them have a "exit" function while others don't and continue to run in the background.

Yo!! JJohnson311

You May Be Talking About: Holding Down ALT Then Hitting LGLG!!
    You Can Clear Things That Are Running And Clear Some Memory As Well, I Do This About 2X A Day.
    02-17-08 02:06 PM
    I just turned off all the logging, not sure if that was a good idea or not - :P
    02-17-08 02:19 PM
    Anyone have any other ideas how to force quit an application. I really hate having to take out my battery all the time to free up memory.
    03-03-08 10:24 AM
    You can reset with out removing the battery through hitting Left Alt, Right Shift, and Del. Causes a reboot, and a lot easier than popping a battery out.
    03-03-08 10:37 AM
    Yo!! JJohnson311

You May Be Talking About: Holding Down ALT Then Hitting LGLG!!
    You Can Clear Things That Are Running And Clear Some Memory As Well, I Do This About 2X A Day.
    That's just logging man. It doens't do anything else. It's info you can sometimes find usefull, but clearing that log doesn't free up much memory and it most certainly does not allow you to end tasks.

By default Browser, HomeScreen, Phone, Messenger will always run no matter what. If an app has messed your connection up and is using it constantly because of a timeout issue, that's a problem that can only be fixed with some kind of reboot. If you're tired of battery pulls then try alt+shift+del to do a quick reboot. Depending on the status of the Blackberry, the first reboot could be a quick one or a full one. If it hourglasses for a little bit at the beginning and splashes the carrier logo then it's a full reboot. If it goes blank and then a few seconds later comes right up to the desktop it was a quick reboot. Quick reboots cycle the network connections and solve application timeouts with network servers, but they don't end all applications. Most of the time after a quick reboot the app that wasn't talking to the network will once again work. However, if you want to force a full reboot just alt+shift+del immeidatly after the BB comes back up after the first one and it'll do a full one. If you wait too long, it might do a quick one again. There's a time limit that you have to stay under in order for it to see two consecutive 3 finger salutes before the BB does a full reboot. Play around with it and you'll see what I mean.

Who said a Blackberry is more stable then other smarphone? I don't think there's a single thread anymore without a mention of a battery pull. LOL
    03-03-08 10:45 AM
    That's good information. Has anyone had it where their 8830 will just re-boot all by itself? Mine will lose the 1XEV connection and then just re-boot. Is that a malfunction or what?
    03-03-08 09:59 PM
    That's good information. Has anyone had it where their 8830 will just re-boot all by itself? Mine will lose the 1XEV connection and then just re-boot. Is that a malfunction or what?
    Never had that happen, but have only had it for about 2 weeks now.
    03-04-08 06:03 AM
    Never had that happen, but have only had it for about 2 weeks now.
    mine occasionally does that but i never reeally paid attention whether or not its because its off before i can check, but i do notice it when i set it on the table harder then softer and it just reboots, that sucks
    03-04-08 05:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD