I can't find where this is covered elsewhere, although I think it must be.

With these 8820 batteries, are you supposed to let them drain all the way down before you recharge, or top them off every night? What works best?

TIA for any good info -
    10-19-07 02:39 PM
    The batteries are lithium-ion. They do not suffer from charge memory, and should not be allowed to fully discharge if you can help it. I usually charge mine when I get down to about 20-30%, or right before I know I'm going to out and about and using it heavily.

When the battery gets down to about 15%, it is too low to power the radio, and the device will disable all wireless data communications until the battery is recharged. (I do not remember if this also disables the phone function; I would think it would.)
    10-19-07 03:29 PM
    Thanks, that makes sense. Our AT&T rep told us something different - he said if we charge the battery when it isn't mostly empty it will hurt the battery life, and to definitely not top it off every day. That didn't jive with what I'd ever heard but ....

Thanks for the info -
    10-19-07 04:19 PM
    Saturday, October 20 2007, @ 12:55 PM (-0800 GMT)

Good to know about charging at the 20 to 30% level!

If you press the button at the very top right, and hold it a few seconds, the 8820 goes into 'Standby Mode.' In this mode it does respond to both incoming e-mail AND phone calls. Does anyone know WHAT is put in 'Standby?' Is wi-fi search turned off, or?

Thank you...

WebMistress
    http:The BEST Windows Hosts File Directory in the WORLD
    10-20-07 03:03 PM
    When somebody ask me for an important tip -- basic for BlackBerry(s) -- I always say first and foremost ... NEVER COMPLETELY DRAIN YOUR BATTERY It should be crackberry addicts 'words to live by'
    10-20-07 10:36 PM
    Does the 8320 have a "Stand-by" feature. I too, top off my battery when its about 25%.
    11-02-07 12:54 AM
    Thanks, that makes sense. Our AT&T rep told us something different - he said if we charge the battery when it isn't mostly empty it will hurt the battery life, and to definitely not top it off every day. That didn't jive with what I'd ever heard but ....

Thanks for the info -
    The Best Buy guy told me to let it discharge all the way also. Said they had a minimum number of charges in them.
    12-16-09 09:22 AM
    Ignore them charge nightly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 10:05 AM
    If you do some Google searches, you will find that full discharges are not recommended. A full discharge would be completely draining the batter so that it will no longer power your device. However, since cell phones contain a so called "fuel gauge" (the battery icon), periodic recalibration (recalibration is a full discharge/full charge cycle) is recommended so that the inaccuracy that develops in the guage, over time, will not cause your unit to indicate a battery level that is actually lower than what the true level actually is. It is recommended to perform this "deep discharge" once every thirty charges or so. For most people this equates to one day a month if you charge your phone everyday, as you should. Hope this helps.

One more thing, completely draining a lithium ion battery is, technically speaking, not possible unless there is failure of the circuitry that controls what voltage level the battery will no longer supply current to a load. What this means to the average person is that you should not be overly concerned with a complete discharge. The reason that people say not to do a full discharge is this: there is a very small chance the battery could be ruined if it drops below a certain voltage level. The circuitry is designed to prevent this. Barring a failure of this circuitry, your battery should be fine. I personally would not do a full discharge more often than what is necessary to maintain periodic calibration of the battery meter. Ultimately you must do your own research or rely on the advice of strangers. Its your choice, but I can tell you that I fully discharge once a month and top-off every night. Good luck.
    Last edited by fredericktex; 05-20-10 at 12:15 AM.
    05-20-10 12:12 AM
    If you do some Google searches, you will find that full discharges are not recommended. A full discharge would be completely draining the batter so that it will no longer power your device. However, since cell phones contain a so called "fuel gauge" (the battery icon), periodic recalibration (recalibration is a full discharge/full charge cycle) is recommended so that the inaccuracy that develops in the gauge, over time, will not cause your unit to indicate a battery level that is actually lower than what the true level actually is. It is recommended to perform this "deep discharge" once every thirty charges or so. For most people this equates to one day a month if you charge your phone everyday, as you should. Hope this helps.

One more thing, completely draining a lithium ion battery is, technically speaking, not possible unless there is failure of the circuitry that controls what voltage level the battery will no longer supply current to a load. What this means to the average person is that you should not be overly concerned with a complete discharge. The reason that people say not to do a full discharge is this: there is a very small chance the battery could be ruined if it drops below a certain voltage level. The circuitry is designed to prevent this. Barring a failure of this circuitry, your battery should be fine. I personally would not do a full discharge more often than what is necessary to maintain periodic calibration of the battery meter. Ultimately you must do your own research or rely on the advice of strangers. Its your choice, but I can tell you that I fully discharge once a month and top-off every night. Good luck.
    05-20-10 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD