This unit is amazing! About the size of a memory stick. The on board Map and down loaded Google Maps work great with the unit. It also uses the same charger as the 8830 and comes with an auto/usb adapter. I paid about $70.00 for the unit and saved the price of a $30.00 8830 auto adapter so a $40. net.

I know it is not the same as the built in GPS but it is the next best thing. The unit is so small it can be kept in your shirt pocket or on the dash of your car. With all the heated discussions on this board over GPS a net $40.00 small GPS receiver may help settle things down a little.
    07-23-07 01:50 PM
    I have the Navibe GB735. Sound similar. How does it compare to this Navibe GB735
    07-23-07 02:30 PM
    The Holux GPSlim 240 looks significantly smaller. It is billed as "The Worlds Smallest" It is roughly the surface size of a USB memory stick and about twice as thick. I am just blown away with how well a GPS works with Google Maps. The ability to have a small GPS in a jacket pocket coupled with Google is going to make both my domestic as well as international travel easier. This is my first time mating these two technologies and so far I am really impressed.
    07-23-07 03:39 PM
    What kind of effect does the GPS bluetooth device have on the battery life of the BlacKBerry 8830?
    07-23-07 04:16 PM
    What kind of effect does the GPS bluetooth device have on the battery life of the BlacKBerry 8830?
    Bluetooth on is not as battery efficient as the internal GPS unit in the 8830 is. The onboard GPS in the 8830 is a special "low voltage" design specifically designed for portability.
    07-23-07 10:31 PM
    I'm really interested in buying the GPS that you posted about. Is it really easy to connect with the 8830. Does it come with instructions on how to link it to the BB.
    07-24-07 12:25 PM
    I hope this answers your questions: The battery is not an issue. When I use it in the car the BB is on a charger. When in use on the street it is on for static use only. The battery built into the GPS system is rated to last for 6 hours, so all you are powering is the screen, net and the bluetooth on the blackberry only. If you used the bluetooth in the phone it would take more battery power since the BB would have to power that as well. The GPS has its own battery.
    The system is extremely easy to use. I just turned on the GPS, clicked the bluetooth icon on my blackberry and it found it immediatelly. It asks for a pairing code "0000" and your done. Everytime the GPS is on it automatically pairs with the phone. One warning, you can only use one bluetooth device at a time, so you can not use a headset and the GPS at the same time.
    07-24-07 02:41 PM
    I hope this answers your questions: The battery is not an issue. When I use it in the car the BB is on a charger. When in use on the street it is on for static use only. The battery built into the GPS system is rated to last for 6 hours, so all you are powering is the screen, net and the bluetooth on the blackberry only. If you used the bluetooth in the phone it would take more battery power since the BB would have to power that as well. The GPS has its own battery.
    The system is extremely easy to use. I just turned on the GPS, clicked the bluetooth icon on my blackberry and it found it immediatelly. It asks for a pairing code "0000" and your done. Everytime the GPS is on it automatically pairs with the phone. One warning, you can only use one bluetooth device at a time, so you can not use a headset and the GPS at the same time.
    Say what? That makes no sense.
    07-24-07 03:36 PM
    Your right! That's what happens when you try to sneek in a post while doing work. I should say "The battery built into the GPS system is rated to last for 6hours, so all you are powering is the screen, net and the bluetooth on the blackberry only. If you used the - "GPS" - in the phone it would take more battery power since the BB would have to power that as well. SORRY!!!!!!
    07-24-07 03:43 PM
    Your right! That's what happens when you try to sneek in a post while doing work. I should say "The battery built into the GPS system is rated to last for 6hours, so all you are powering is the screen, net and the bluetooth on the blackberry only. If you used the - "GPS" - in the phone it would take more battery power since the BB would have to power that as well. SORRY!!!!!!
    I figured that's what you meant, but if you used the internal GPS you wouldn't need the bluetooth enabled unless you need a headset. Not sure exactly what the voltage requirement is for the internal GPS, but it's definatly "low voltage". It's a specific chipset design for this phone.
    07-24-07 09:23 PM
    I have the Holux GPSlim240 but cannot get the 8830 Maps application to "see" it. I enable GPS Navigation on the menu, but it never acquires a satellite signal. I have 2 other BT devices setup on my 8830 (and handsfree car kit and a headset) and when I go into the BT icon to see my devices, I see these and the Holux. when I select Holux I am not given the option to "connect" to the device. When I hightlight the other two devices I am given the option to "connect" (or "disconnect" when connected), so that seems like a clue.

My guess is the devices are not communicating. I deleted the Holux device, and repaired with it, and that seemed to work fine, but once I do that it exhibits the behavior above

any clues?
    Last edited by lancer; 07-26-07 at 12:50 PM.
    07-26-07 12:46 PM
    It sounds like there is some confusion in your Bluetooth. My system is working fine. You could try resetting your BB by removing the battery for a few seconds. Good luck!
    07-26-07 03:24 PM
    It sounds like there is some confusion in your Bluetooth. My system is working fine. You could try resetting your BB by removing the battery for a few seconds. Good luck!
    The BB works fine with headset and hands free car. It also discovers the GPS receiver, just doesn't talk to it once discovered. May be something wrong with the receiver I guess

Thansk
    07-26-07 05:04 PM
    I'm on my second 240 (well, it should be here in the next couple days anyway). The battery completely died in my first one. I had issues with the first unit I received sometimes not locking onto any GPS sats, most of the time it worked great, but sometimes it'd take forever to grab onto the signal.

Also be advised they don't suggest you put this one in the window, as it's very heat sensitive, and that may have attributed to mine's demise. When it worked though, it did work great.

I just hope that we can get the GPS unlocked via Verizon (I'd even sign up for VZ Navigator, as it's looks to have more info about your surroundings than maps does), but I'm not counting on it anytime soon.

I also bought mine off of Ebay, and it was a tad bit cheaper (I think shipped it was around 58-59.00), so you might want to search for it there.
    07-27-07 10:03 AM
    I bought a Holux GPSlim a few days ago after reading about it here and elsewhere. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work. I had no problem pairing it with my BB 8830. I then went into advanced settings and changed the GPS to use the Holux (that was one of the choices after pairing). However, Google Maps still can't determine a location. I tried other GPS enabled applications -- still no go. I even tried resetting the BB by removing the battery and re-insterting it. Could this have something to do with the fact that my provider is Verizon (who's chosen to disable the internal GPS in the 8830)? I don't even know if the unit is working. I was able to pair it with the bluetooth on my laptop, but, unfortunately that software makes it COM40, and the Holux software only looks at COM port up to COM10.

Any suggestions?

Victor
    11-26-07 12:07 PM
    I have a Tom Tom GPS Unit that I use with my Ipaq 2215 thru a bluetooth link is there a way to join it with my Blackberry 8830.
    11-26-07 01:02 PM
    I have a GPS puck that works fine with the 8830. The problem is the BB Maps is not a very good application and Google Maps is even worse. The processor in the 8830 is so bogged down that in Google Maps the indicated location is usually several miles BEHIND where I am actually located.

I know Verizon teased us all with the GPS in the 8830, but believe me it is NOT WORTH it.

Go out and buy a Garmin or TOMTOM or Magellan. Those car navigation units are actually designed to work!

The 8830 is a monumental technical FAILURE and RIM should be embarrassed at what they have built. Ringer volume, unreadable keyboard, background noise and frequent reboots are just a few of the problems.

I am on my second 8830 and it has the same problems as the first. Nothing they can do in software will fix a fundamentally flawed piece of hardware.

If you are thinking about the 8830...forget it!!

Find another phone.
    11-27-07 08:18 AM
    I'm on my second 240 (well, it should be here in the next couple days anyway). The battery completely died in my first one. I had issues with the first unit I received sometimes not locking onto any GPS sats, most of the time it worked great, but sometimes it'd take forever to grab onto the signal.
    Yeah, if you don't charge it very frequently, the Li-Ion goes below 2.4V and you can throw it away... I did a bit of a hack on it though : You can check it at vassfamily.net/projects/GPSlim240/GPSlim240BatterFix.html

It's ugly, but it works... ;-)
    12-06-08 04:14 AM
    I subscribed to this thread 15 months ago when I bought my GPSlim240. Used it once, so I have a brand new one if anyone wants to buy it. Feel free to make an offer.
    12-07-08 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD