Hi,

I would like to find a way to hide contact details from either my spouse / girlfriend and anyone else that would be able to access my address book if they happen to stumble across my blackberry when it was not locked.

Some scenarios which i would not like to happen:

My girlfriend / spouse harrassed me enough one day so she could view all contacts in my address book

My girlfriend / spouse managed to go through my blackberry while i was in the shower when my phone was unlocked.

Presume they do have sufficient knowledge of how to operate a blackberry etc. To enable them to enter my address book.

Various times spouse / girlfriend have tried to access my phone but unable to enter the correct password to open it. After the maximum number of tries does the phone erase all the details inside? I definately would want this to happen as my phone is backed up everyday on a seperate PC.

Anyone know how to hide individual contact details in the address book? I would want some to be viewed like my griends and work. But for deception i would also require some addresses hidden and preferably password protected.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    04-05-08 09:55 PM
    As far as I know there is no way to hide/lock individual contacts in the address book. There might be third party software that does it. Your best bet is to keep your device locked. After the maximum number of tries the phone will erase all the details inside so make sure you backup your phone regularly.
    04-05-08 10:47 PM
    Wow a lot to hide lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-08 10:54 PM
    There is a better way...

Be a man, and be with one woman if that is what you say you are going to do. It's guys like you that give us men a bad name. Grow up. Posting this kind of garbage is as offensive as people posting for Warez as far as I'm concerned.
    04-05-08 11:18 PM
    First, if your in a real relationship then don't cheat.

Second, if you have a significant other or wife that is going to search through your phone when your not near it, then you don't have trust in your relationship.
    Finally, if that's what your gonna do, then don't save any numbers in your phone whatsoever. Don't save them under guys names either. Delete any incoming phone numbers and text messages you don't want on your phone and firewall block all your sms and pin numbers when you need to. And go paperless with your monthly bill.

Bottomline, if your married, cut this mess out. But if you're not then you can't get lazy if your gonna go G-14 classified!

Hey, I wasn't always married. LOL

04-05-08 11:42 PM
    Gee, can't imagine why he wouldn't have trust in his relationships!
    04-06-08 12:26 AM
    Why don't you just put a password on your BB so the whole thing is locked down?

Options > Security Settings

Just make sure they don't try to break the code for 10x or your whole BB is wiped!
    04-06-08 12:45 AM
    I didn't think this thread was offensive to anyone. To those that may be offended I apologise.
    I was hoping this thread could be useful to those that are extra conscious about security with whatever lifestyle they may lead. That's why I purchased a blackberry than other devices running windows OS.
    Whether you work in the military, police force, govt official, or corporate. Information security is top priority. I own and run 2 companies abroad. Both of which have competitors right at the doorstep. My role in facilitating, liasing with both gov't & corporate individuals I require secrecy as I track both individual behaviour and personal details in the address book for each contact under notes to remember anything from age, date of birth, family members, department they work in etc..
    The scenarious I had provided earlier are just that scenarious / theoretical examples. Those reading the post can replace it to "employer" or "competitor" rather than what I placed as spouse / girlfriend.
    I keep my security settings on high already. I only have 4 tries and then it erases information. I keep my bluetooth off and use it on limited occasions. My phone goes to lockdown in 30 seconds when idle. It will always ask for a passwords clearance. That's why I love blackberry devices.
    patrick.waugh I saw your post on how you thought that an application to track a women's cycle was good so you would estimate the mood she was in and you're telling me to grow up.
    This thread has a lot of more potential for those security minded individuals.

04-06-08 04:14 AM
    Well said.

04-06-08 04:21 AM
    My phone is my PERSONAL belonging and as such is considered PRIVATE, I expect my Spouse to respect my privacy just as I respected Hers. If your phone locks after 30 sec,, how can someone get to your info while you're in the shower? Secondly, in any relationship of mine whether friend, brother or even my mother and they venture to go through my personal belongings that signify a lack of respect and I don't want to be around he or she. Respect earned is Respect given.
    Just my $0.02 worth.
    04-06-08 05:46 AM
    I didn't think this thread was offensive to anyone. To those that may be offended I apologise.
    I was hoping this thread could be useful to those that are extra conscious about security with whatever lifestyle they may lead. That's why I purchased a blackberry than other devices running windows OS.
    Whether you work in the military, police force, govt official, or corporate. Information security is top priority. I own and run 2 companies abroad. Both of which have competitors right at the doorstep. My role in facilitating, liasing with both gov't & corporate individuals I require secrecy as I track both individual behaviour and personal details in the address book for each contact under notes to remember anything from age, date of birth, family members, department they work in etc..
    The scenarious I had provided earlier are just that scenarious / theoretical examples. Those reading the post can replace it to "employer" or "competitor" rather than what I placed as spouse / girlfriend.
    I keep my security settings on high already. I only have 4 tries and then it erases information. I keep my bluetooth off and use it on limited occasions. My phone goes to lockdown in 30 seconds when idle. It will always ask for a passwords clearance. That's why I love blackberry devices.
    patrick.waugh I saw your post on how you thought that an application to track a women's cycle was good so you would estimate the mood she was in and you're telling me to grow up.
    This thread has a lot of more potential for those security minded individuals.

It came across as someone trying to cheat and personally, I wasn't offended. But it did sound like a young person trying to get advice for which I did offer some.

I agree with the security attributes of the BB. I'm in Law Enforcement and have contact numbers and personal information that varies from family, friends and co-workers to local, state and federal agency contacts. It's nice to know I can count on my BB to be secure or the ability to wipe it remotely if it gets lost in the field.
    04-06-08 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD