hi all, apologies if i have posted in the wrong section, im just having a major issue with my 8800, which i am hoping that you can help me with!

Right here's the deal my 8800's USB port has come lose, my phone company are replacing the phone-all good. Problem i have is this: the sim only holds a tiny fraction of the address's and numbers I have on my phone, as the port is stuffed, I can't connect to my laptop and transfer my address book across. Is there anyway I can save my contacts to my media card? Is there a way to wirelessly do this? Maybe one of those 'save your contact' companies?

I have very little battery left so any help is appreciated.

thanks for taking the time to read this!!

ps i use a mac powerbook g4
    07-25-08 11:34 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.

The USB port needs fixing before you can get your data off. It may be possible to do this via bluetooth but I have never managed to make this work on my 8310 or 8100.

You need to make this the phone company's problem. Tell them that vital data is stored on the phone and that it HAS to be gotten off. They wil then have to fix the USB port themseleves.

Do yo not have a sync to Outlook or a Backup?

BlackBerry Repair Shop - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices can fix broken USB ports.

When the new phone comes, buy one of these.

It is a BlackBerry charging cradle in the CrackBerry store Accessory Review: Charging Pod for BlackBerry Curve | CrackBerry.com. It eliminates using the USB port to charge the phone. IMO it should be in every BlackBerry box from new. I got mine on ebay. If you do this make sure that you get one that looks like the photo. I searched on ebay for 'Genuine BlackBerry Charging Cradle Curve' cuz I have a Curve.
    07-25-08 11:50 AM
    Thanks for the reply, i shall grab one of those cradles when my replacement arrives. is there anyway i could email all my contacts do you know?
    thanks
    07-25-08 12:00 PM
    Most regrettably not that I know of.

BlackBerry Repair Shop - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices want $79.99 + postage to replace the USB port.

Is your data worth that?
    07-25-08 12:06 PM
    Could you e-mail your info to yourself from your Berry. I know that would suck. All that copy pasting. But the info would be saved.
    Good luck!

=8? )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-08 12:18 PM
    Right, what i have done, is send all my contacts individually, to myself, via email (so as attatchments). when i get my replacement, I think, it should be just a case of resendning that email to myself, so that it then appears on my 8800, and i theoretically should be able to get them onto my phone that way....?
    07-25-08 12:26 PM
    Could you e-mail your info to yourself from your Berry. I know that would suck. All that copy pasting. But the info would be saved.
    Good luck!

=8? )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lol great minds think alike...... thats what i have just done, so hopefully it should be just a case of resending the email to myself on monday when the new unit arrives, and then taking the info from that email
    07-25-08 12:27 PM
    Glad you got it Gordon. I have nearly 300 contacts adn that woud take me some time.

Try doing a sync to Outlook, Outlook Express (Microsoft Mail on Vista), Yahoo or Gmail. You can also do a full Backup on you PC using Desktop Manager.

All this, of course when the new BlackBerry is delivered.
    07-25-08 12:31 PM
    google sync will sync your contacts to gmail, as far as I know. You need google sync installed on your blackberry tho.
    07-25-08 01:52 PM
    google sync will sync your contacts to gmail, as far as I know. You need google sync installed on your blackberry tho.
    That' s his problem. His USB port is busted. He can't charge, sync, update, install software. Nuttin'.
    07-25-08 03:41 PM
    Isn't Google Sync an OTA install though? And the Gmail app? One or both of those could have done this I thought...

I can't wait to have my Curve so I can try this stuff
    07-26-08 02:57 AM
    I need to do a backup of all my third party programs from my old 8830 to restore to my new one. Because the USB port on old phone is broken, I can't do this using sync cable. Any other way - maybe using bluetooth or wireless?
    12-30-08 10:20 PM
    I have a solution for you.

1. Sign up for a gmail account
    2. Get the google sync application. You can get it from this address (m.google.com/sync) using your phone's browser
    3. Install and sync your contacts.
    4. Check that the contacts made it onto gmail

If you need more battery, charge the battery in another phone and swap it back in.

Tell us if it works!
    12-30-08 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD