I have an 8820 and am trying to set up email for it through wi-fi. ATT keeps telling me that I need to purchase the data plan to make it work. We do not have a blackberry enterprise class server. I would like to be able to connect through wi-fi and check and receive emails. It would also be nice if I could sync that with outlook so that they both have the same records. Can anyone give me a step by step of how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Keyser318
    08-04-08 08:41 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!

Your expecations for your device using WiFi without a data plan are over the top! The functionality of your device on WiFi is limited... and some of the features you mentioned cannot even be done with BIS... you would need BES.

Your best bet is to get a data plan, ATT is correct...

As for email clients that work over WiFi, check out LogicMail and tiggitMail. Both of those clients work over WiFi but they are nowhere close to the BlackBerry Email, and they do not offer half of the features you mentioned...
    08-04-08 08:46 AM
    I have downloaded logicmail. The other thing i am unsure about is how you are supposed to set it up. Does anyone know anything about how you put in the mail server names? I believe we use a pop server. Will this work with logicmail?

Thanks,

Keyser
    08-04-08 09:33 AM
    POP servers work with logic mail... you need to know the incoming/outgoing mail server, ports, etc...

Then you add the correct configuration to LogicMail and it works...
    08-04-08 09:36 AM
    this may sound stupid, but I am new to the blackberrys and really appreciate the help. It says that it is connected to the server, but I can't download or send any messages. I also don't seem to get any error messages except when I try to send a message. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again so much
    08-04-08 10:53 AM
    anyone know how to resolve this or what is going on? Also is there an email service the provides BES or BIS? thanks,

Keyser
    08-05-08 07:54 PM
    To me honestly, to get the data plan. This way there is no problems.
    08-06-08 08:08 AM
    anyone know how to resolve this or what is going on? Also is there an email service the provides BES or BIS? thanks,

Keyser
    Not sure what is going on, as I have not used that app extensively!!

You should seriously just add the email only addon to your account ($9.99/month). This will save a lot of hassle with email and it is soooo much nicer than any third party email client on your Berry!!

Believe me, I attempted to use email clients when I was testing WiFi only for a few months!!

*EDIT* : The email only addon I detailed is for TMobile, sorry!! I do not know if there is anything similar for ATT!
    08-06-08 08:09 AM
    Thanks for all the help. I did get it to work. It appeared as though the email program was looking for the firewall to be enabled. I have played with many settings, but it appeared as though once I did that it seemed to work fine. I thought it would be just the opposite. At any rate it seems to be working great now.

Thanks,

Keyser
    08-06-08 01:46 PM
    Thanks for all the help. I did get it to work. It appeared as though the email program was looking for the firewall to be enabled. I have played with many settings, but it appeared as though once I did that it seemed to work fine. I thought it would be just the opposite. At any rate it seems to be working great now.

Thanks,

Keyser
    Glad you are up and running
    08-06-08 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD