I added a media card (8 gig) to my bb8830 to listen to Overdrive Audio Books (.wma files) which I download from the library. I can transfer the books to my bb via the media manager, but when I go to play the book on the bb, the sound is all garbled and unintelligable. The book sounds fine on my computer. I formatted the media card and it made no difference. I tried removing the battery after installing the book to reboot the bb and it didn't help.

Has anyone run into this issue or have a suggested solution? I chose the 8830 for the mp3 player so I can listen to books, so I am very frustrated!

Thanks!
    03-04-08 10:07 AM
    BB doesnt like WMA. you should convert to MP3 then she should be happy.
    03-07-08 03:08 PM
    Yup, convert them to mp3. It will also save a ton of space too so you can add more and overdose on Overdrive.
    03-07-08 03:10 PM
    I am having this same problem with my 8330....could someone tell me how to convert them to MP3?

Thanks
    05-04-09 06:26 PM
    There are converters, or you can burn and re-rip to mp3.
    05-06-09 03:46 PM
    iTunes will convert to mp3.
    05-22-09 08:27 PM
    I can't get itunes to convert WMA (from the Library) because it is in protected format, I also can't download their Abode Digital books. Does anyone know of an app that will convert? I really read alot and it would be nice to download from the library.
    05-30-09 09:53 PM
    Sorry for resurrecting this really old post, but I was searching around for a solution to this myself and came across it and I have an apropos update. You're BB is apparently incompatible with Overdrive (as is mine.... curve 8900) so you're out of luck:

(ugh, can't post URLs yet........)

www overdrive com /resources/drc/incompatibledevices.aspx

Since I have another player that works, I'm not going to bother messing around with doing this, but in theory anyway, you could remove the DRM from the WMA files and your BB should be able to play it fine -- the problem apparently lies in the fact the BB doesn't support the DRM scheme used by Overdrive. There are plenty of sites that come up in Google when you search around.
    07-28-09 07:34 AM
    Look again at Overdrive. It now has some, but fewer than wma, in mp3. Relativey new,

An inexpensive mp3 player like sandisk will play both formats and has a much longer battery life. It's the size of a postage stamp so I don't bother with the blackberry download.
    08-23-09 04:54 PM
    An inexpensive mp3 player like sandisk will play both formats and has a much longer battery life. It's the size of a postage stamp so I don't bother with the blackberry download.
    The whole idea of having a PDA is one stop shopping for everything. I have been looking all over the place for an answer to the Overdrive Media question. Buying another player sucks as an answer. I could have stayed with my Windows PDA. The Overdrive desktop software will not let you convert WMA into MP3. You have to download books from the library that were created in MP3 format. It sucks, but that seems to be the way it is. If someone comes up with an answer to this one, please let us know.
    12-28-09 02:27 PM
    For all of you here facing the Overdirve Media issue, I found an answer to the problem. Please go to zdnet.com and search for and download a product called Tunebyte. It will convert the protected WMA files to MP3, then you can simply download them to your BB device and away you go. It's a try and buy, but I liked it so much that I bought it. It works just great.
    12-29-09 03:00 PM
    It is actually called Tunebite (change the y to an i). I'm interested to try it - I think it's crazy that my Storm can't play the wma Overdrive files! I love to listen to audio books and don't like having to keep track of my little Sansa clip when I want to listen.

I have downloaded the Overdrive mp3 books, but the selection is pretty limited. I hope this Tunebite works as well as promised.
    01-07-10 01:30 AM
    I'm hoping that Tunebite works. I have a Tour which I had been using to listen to wma files from Overdrive for months and had never had any problems whatsoever. It worked like a charm! Now, the files are not compatible with the SD card. The only thing I can think of is that something changed with the upgrade to OS 5.0. I'm dying without my audio books as I commute almost three hours a day.
    Also, I have a Dell mini notebook and I am unable to use Media Manager or transfer files through the device manager because the max resolution on my laptop is not high enough. Very frustrating. If anyone has any other solutions to either of these issues, please let me know!
    04-12-10 08:11 PM
    Tunebite doesn't work because OverDrive won't let you move the file out of the Overdrive Media Console. Therefore you can't get the file converted to MP3. Don't waste your money on Tunebite. I did and it doesn't work. I am sure if there were other wma files other than from Overdrive Media maybe it would work. But Overdrive media files seem protected.
    04-19-10 03:26 PM
    I use MelodyCan. It is the best, easiest and fastest converter I found. You can try it)
    07-13-10 03:39 PM
    I use cooledit to edit all my mp3s
    07-14-10 08:27 PM
    this is one reason BB is losing ground to the iPhone.... I too love Overdrive Audio books from the library but need my old Palm to do this. In the future I will have only one device!
    08-27-10 10:46 AM
    Tunebite doesn't work because OverDrive won't let you move the file out of the Overdrive Media Console. Therefore you can't get the file converted to MP3. Don't waste your money on Tunebite. I did and it doesn't work. I am sure if there were other wma files other than from Overdrive Media maybe it would work. But Overdrive media files seem protected.
    I'm having the same problem. HOWEVER, you can find the actual .wma files on your computers HD. Try looking in my documents> my media> wma audiobooks.

Let me know if it works, I don't want to waste money on software.
    10-03-10 01:39 AM
    I have used overdrive for months and worked well. then my torch froze when downloading the other day. Have tried repeatedly...pulled battery..re downloaded..overdrive won't open just freezes up the phone...anybody help!
    05-26-11 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD