I�m hoping somebody can help this newbie. I�ve had my 8830 (with Verizon) for a few weeks now and love it. Since this morning (possibly last night) I have had no emails (should have been a ton) and can�t connect to the internet. When I try, it does through its little �requesting� thing, then I get a message �Failed to connect to the Internet. 100 net.rim.device.cidc.io.dns.DNSException: Bad DNS Address� That is the message I get using Opera Mini. If I try using the built-in browser I get ��A communication failure has occurred. The server may be busy, please try again later. If the problem persists contact your service provider.

While typing this, a bunch of emails finally came in, so that problem seems to have fixed itself. However, I�m more puzzled than ever now, because I still can�t browse to any web page, but my emails came in.

Any ideas?
    03-31-08 07:53 PM
    Well there was a service outage the other day. maybe your carrier is just a little slow.
    03-31-08 08:06 PM
    you need to get the apn setting for verizon and put it in under options/ advanced options/ tcp settings and then type in the apn username and password you can call verizon to get these settings
    03-31-08 08:10 PM
    you need to get the apn setting for verizon and put it in under options/ advanced options/ tcp settings and then type in the apn username and password you can call verizon to get these settings
    DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!! THIS WILL MESS UP YOUR TCP CONNECTION CAPABILITY WITH 3RD PARTY APPS SUCH AS OPERA MINI!!!!!

blueberry, if you don't know what you're talking about DO NOT POST incorrect info for specific models. (Your GSM model/carrier works differently and what may be right for you is most certainly not correct for others.

Marie, as for your connection problems, this can sometimes happen. Sprint users complain more about it, but when it happens either turn your radio off and then back on or do a battery pull. The latest OS from Bell seems to have stabalized this more, but you don't sound like you're up to installing an OS from another carrier.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 03-31-08 at 08:36 PM.
    03-31-08 08:28 PM
    DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!! THIS WILL MESS UP YOUR TCP CONNECTION CAPABILITY WITH 3RD PARTY APPS SUCH AS OPERA MINI!!!!!

blueberry, if you don't know what you're talking about DO NOT POST incorrect info for specific models. (Your GSM model/carrier works differently and what may be right for you is most certainly not correct for others.

Marie, as for your connection problems, this can sometimes happen. Sprint users complain more about it, but when it happens either turn your radio off and then back on or do a battery pull. The latest OS from Bell seems to have stabalized this more, but you don't sound like you're up to installing an OS from another carrier.
    At least she was trying to help. DAMMM
    03-31-08 08:37 PM
    At least she was trying to help. DAMMM
    Well, I can appreciate that, but I have had to explain to a lot of people why their Opera Mini doesn't work after people keep telling them to mess with the APN setting on their Verizon 8830. I'm sorry if it came out as harsh, but it's the truth. There's a lot of help floating around here as of late that is flat out incorrect, I'm just trying to minimize that so that the people that just show up and don't really know much about these phones don't mess their stuff up even more. It's bad enough you get someone who doesn't know what's going on when you call customer service for your carrier, let alone incorrect info on online forums that "in general" tend to have more information that's credible.

Again, sorry if it came out harsh. Sometimes the truth hurts just a little. It's all good, don't take it personally. I made it bold so the OP catches it in time and doesn't try it, that's all.
    03-31-08 08:44 PM
    Thank you all for your input. I tried the �off and on again� deal, which didn�t work, but the battery pull did the trick! Thanks so much, JRSCCivic98. I�m a happy camper again.
    03-31-08 09:50 PM
    A lot of little problems can be solved with the battery pull. When I have issues, I start with that first and then go from there.

Were glad your up and running again.
    03-31-08 10:15 PM
    Well, I can appreciate that, but I have had to explain to a lot of people why their Opera Mini doesn't work after people keep telling them to mess with the APN setting on their Verizon 8830. I'm sorry if it came out as harsh, but it's the truth. There's a lot of help floating around here as of late that is flat out incorrect, I'm just trying to minimize that so that the people that just show up and don't really know much about these phones don't mess their stuff up even more. It's bad enough you get someone who doesn't know what's going on when you call customer service for your carrier, let alone incorrect info on online forums that "in general" tend to have more information that's credible.

Again, sorry if it came out harsh. Sometimes the truth hurts just a little. It's all good, don't take it personally. I made it bold so the OP catches it in time and doesn't try it, that's all.
    JRSCCivic98 - it looks as though you know a little about the problem I'm having. It's the same as Marie R., but I haven't been able to fix it yet. I have downloaded Opera Mini 4.1, but I receive a "Failed to connect to the internet" error message. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it and also pulled the battery. No luck. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by msouthard; 05-21-08 at 11:52 AM.
    05-21-08 11:49 AM
    Oh, by the way, this is the first time I've downloaded it. I've never had a chance to use it yet because I keep on getting this error.
    05-21-08 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD