Hi all,

I just got my BB8820 few hours ago and it's a little mind-boggling (I've been a windows mobile person for years). Please be patient with me and help answer a few questions! Btw, I'm not subscribed to BIS/BES.. Just on a regular data plan (GPRS)

1) My 8820 starts up with my service provider logo, how do I remove it? It's like a welcome message, whenever I boot my phone, I get that...

2) How to I surf using GPRS with 8820? I tried opening the browser and there was nothing...

3) How do I lock my phone? Not keypad lock! I go to options > Security > General settings... Yes there's a option for you to 'enable password' but don't you need to set a password first?

4) How do I set up a gmail/hotmail account? I have no BIS and I'm using a regular data plan *** wifi..

Sorry for the long post
    04-26-09 11:12 AM
    Hi and welcome to CB.

The Splash screen cannot be removed from the device.

To surf using GPRS you would need to install either the Opera Mini or Bolt browser onto your device and enter the APN settings for your carrier onto your device at options > advanced options >TCP. Doing it this way will mean that you require a generic data plan to cover costs.

As you have a wifi device you can use the hotspot browser to browse and both Opera Mini and Bolt will work via wifi.

Without a Blackberry data plan your email options are somewhat limited as you will not be able to use the on device email features. The the Gmail application however will work over wifi.

Hope that helps
    04-26-09 11:31 AM
    The only 1 of your questions I can really answer, mainly to give you a 'bump' is that attempting to remove the
    Service Provider logo, while it can be done, is a very advanced function, and creates a risk of bricking your BB. Seeing as you are just getting started, probably something you really don't want to try just yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-09 11:35 AM
    Hi and welcome to CB.

The Splash screen cannot be removed from the device.

To surf using GPRS you would need to install either the Opera Mini or Bolt browser onto your device and enter the APN settings for your carrier onto your device at options > advanced options >TCP. Doing it this way will mean that you require a generic data plan to cover costs.

As you have a wifi device you can use the hotspot browser to browse and both Opera Mini and Bolt will work via wifi.

Without a Blackberry data plan your email options are somewhat limited as you will not be able to use the on device email features. The the Gmail application however will work over wifi.

Hope that helps
    Thanks for the kind reply, mate.

Just wondering what's the default browser used in 8820? Is it Opera or Opera Mini? Why doesn't blackberry auto detects GPRS like HTC and all?

As for Gmail application, I just have to download it, run the installs and it'd be fine? Any options for hotmail?

Thanks again!
    04-26-09 11:54 AM
    The only 1 of your questions I can really answer, mainly to give you a 'bump' is that attempting to remove the
    Service Provider logo, while it can be done, is a very advanced function, and creates a risk of bricking your BB. Seeing as you are just getting started, probably something you really don't want to try just yet.

Thanks, pal.

Hopefully, when I get better, I'd be able to find methods to remove the annoying service provider logo.
    04-26-09 11:55 AM

Blackberries are very tough to ruin, usually no matter what you do you can recover (see Reed McLay's how to recover a dead device) HOWEVER trying to remove the logo (or "branding") can ruin your blackberry for good, don't even think about it.

04-26-09 12:01 PM
    Hazy,

I don't recall GPRS needs another username/password..

My service provider is Mobile One.. What should I do?
    04-26-09 12:01 PM
    Blackberries are very tough to ruin, usually no matter what you do you can recover (see Reed McLay's how to recover a dead device) HOWEVER trying to remove the logo (or "branding") can ruin your blackberry for good, don't even think about it.

That's frightening!

I wish I could say that it's just a silly logo, but before the professionals, I'd be better off listening
    04-26-09 12:02 PM
    The only browser that you would be able to set as your default without a blackberry daa plan is the hotspot browser. Opera and Bolt cannot be set as the default.

On a Blackberry Internet access (not including wifi) is only enabled by way of service books being sent to the device that enable the blackberry browser and the network's wap browser. So the only option for a non wifi device to get internet access is with a 3rd party browser and APN settings.

Do a google search for 'Tiggit' it is an email application with which you can set up email from most accounts such as hotmail however I am not 100% certain if this application will work over wifi or not.

Another option for hotmail is to simply browse to your hotmail online or use the mobile site.

As for the Gmail application you may have to enable the wifi option after downloading.
    04-26-09 12:04 PM
    Hazy,

I don't recall GPRS needs another username/password..

My service provider is Mobile One.. What should I do?

Are you from Singapore? If so ,try these APN settings all you need is the APN, username and password ( which are blank fields in both cases)

Operator: - M1
    GPRS APN: - mobilenet
    Username: - {blank}
    Password: - {blank}
    DNS: - 202.79.64.21, 202.79.64.26
    04-26-09 12:13 PM
    Yes, I am.

I just set mobilenet, but there's no field of dns, please advise!
    04-26-09 01:02 PM
    And how do I lock my phone? Not keypad lock!

Sorry guys, I've been very troublesome!
    04-26-09 01:15 PM
    Yes, I am.

I just set mobilenet, but there's no field of dns, please advise!
    You do not need to input the DNS details.

To set up your password just select enabled and follow through, if your device is brand new and a password has not been set before all will be fine.
    04-26-09 01:23 PM
    You do not need to input the DNS details.

To set up your password just select enabled and follow through, if your device is brand new and a password has not been set before all will be fine.
    Hazy, you're a genius! I just managed to enable security! The weird thing is my 'keypad lock' disappeared and got replaced by 'lock' in the menu, but I suppose that's normal.

As for the GPRS, I'll activate the service with my carrier in the next few days and check back in again.

How can I read microsoft word/ppt documents?
    04-26-09 01:59 PM
    Does spellcheck works with sms?

I'm not subscribed to any BIS/Blackberry plan.. How do I get google maps to work with gps? Thanks!
    Last edited by detached; 04-26-09 at 02:13 PM.
    04-26-09 02:01 PM
    hi

May i know which m1 shop u gt ur 8820 at? been wanting to find 1 for ages.

Thanks!

04-27-09 08:30 AM
    hi

May i know which m1 shop u gt ur 8820 at? been wanting to find 1 for ages.

Thanks!

Didn't get it from a m1 shop
    04-28-09 09:58 AM
    How do I set a custom ring tone (C.R.T) for a group? Say I've created a group named 'Family' but then I don't see any options for me to set a C.R.T for the group... I have to manually set it for every entry in the group?
    04-28-09 10:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD