I just installed 127 on Sunday, guess this weekend I'll grab 138

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 12:21 PM
    Heres the link:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

Now, obviously we know that this will automatically updade Sprint 8830's to 4.5.0.135 - as I did this last night...but I am wondering, what OS is listed when VZW or other carriers plug their berries in, and click the update now button...?

An does anyone know when RIM rolled out this new feature? I find it quite convenient...and I think its going to catch on...and fast!

Michael

Yea ive always done updates by physically downloading the corresponding file. I am switching back to my 8830 tomorrow and was curious on how i would have to go about this in order to update to .135. Im assuming i know exactly where to go on BB's site but im still running 4.2 on my 8830 and want to make sure that when i click to update that i will be able to complete the update.
    02-26-09 01:05 PM
    For those of you having problems installing, I was having the same error on my sprint 8830, with my computer that I had installed 4.5.0.127 from Bell. I decided to go to another computer that has never had any Blackberry stuff installed and go to the online update. I installed the app loader that it requires and it immidiately told me there was an update available and I upgraded to the 4.5.0.135. I think something from the old Desktop manager or OS's for my blackberry were interferring with the online updater.

I believe this update is available for all CDMA 8830's. If you are having trouble on verizon, I would suggest doing this. Also I would go to RIMs site and sign up for the "notify me when there's new software available" emails and see if they send you something right away. No where does it say this update is only for sprint.

Hope that helps.
    02-26-09 01:16 PM
    Good point - this was my question as well - it does not specifically say the update is for sprint/cdma users...so I was wondering, what would happen if a VZW user (or nay other user for that metter) plugged in, and clicked update. I dont believe anyone has tried it...but then again I have not been reading the forms that extensively...am SLAMMED at work :-/

For those of you having problems installing, I was having the same error on my sprint 8830, with my computer that I had installed 4.5.0.127 from Bell. I decided to go to another computer that has never had any Blackberry stuff installed and go to the online update. I installed the app loader that it requires and it immidiately told me there was an update available and I upgraded to the 4.5.0.135. I think something from the old Desktop manager or OS's for my blackberry were interferring with the online updater.

I believe this update is available for all CDMA 8830's. If you are having trouble on verizon, I would suggest doing this. Also I would go to RIMs site and sign up for the "notify me when there's new software available" emails and see if they send you something right away. No where does it say this update is only for sprint.

Hope that helps.
    02-26-09 01:19 PM
    i updated like two weeks ago on my 8830 from VZW and i had no problem at all! but my update is the 4.5.0.127
    02-26-09 01:31 PM

Hope that helps.
    I wish it was all CDMA 8830s. I'm on BES and I'm still SOL. Does anyone know if people who had Curve's who got 4.5 earlier this month eventually get
    4.5 if you were on BES?

Thanks.

Ed
    02-26-09 01:33 PM
    I wish it was all CDMA 8830s. I'm on BES and I'm still SOL. Does anyone know if people who had Curve's who got 4.5 earlier this month eventually get
    4.5 if you were on BES?

Thanks.

Ed
    Sorry forgot to mention all BIS CDMA's.
    02-26-09 01:35 PM
    i updated like two weeks ago on my 8830 from VZW and i had no problem at all! but my update is the 4.5.0.127
    Dude how many threads are you going to go on and say the same thing that has nothing to do with the thread. This thread is about the online update for 4.5.0.135, and not the download update from Bell that requires deleting the vendor.xml file and using desktop manager to install. There are already enough confused people out there about which OS they have and if they need to update or not. You're not helping and people in other threads have told you that.

For those that are still confused.

The Bell Mobility update that came out a couple of weeks ago was 4.5.0.127. Get the .177 out of your heads because that is the platform number and not what are referred with talking about the app/OS updates here on the thread.

If you updated to Bell's update (4.5.0.127), then there is a new update available for you at website: BlackBerry - Update your Device Software. This is 4.5.0.135 which is new than 4.5.0.127. This update is for BIS CDMA 8830's.

Hope that helps.
    02-26-09 01:46 PM
    Just a note on that - the update is not only for those who had installed Bells 4.5.0.127 ... I had previously had the 4.5.0.101 CDMA release for the 8830 ... and was successful in updating to .135 via RIM's new website.

Its funny you mentioned all of the confused people out there. I noticed that it took about 8 posts to actually answer my initial question. All of the posts in between were from those 'confused ppl' heh...oh well. I vote for a new section on the forum, for the uber-geek power users. All in favor? I am totally gonna get flamed for this... :-p

If you updated to Bell's update (4.5.0.127), then there is a new update available for you at website: BlackBerry - Update your Device Software. This is 4.5.0.135 which is new than 4.5.0.127. This update is for BIS CDMA 8830's.

Hope that helps.
    02-26-09 01:56 PM
    Just a note on that - the update is not only for those who had installed Bells 4.5.0.127 ... I had previously had the 4.5.0.101 CDMA release for the 8830 ... and was successful in updating to .135 via RIM's new website.

Its funny you mentioned all of the confused people out there. I noticed that it took about 8 posts to actually answer my initial question. All of the posts in between were from those 'confused ppl' heh...oh well. I vote for a new section on the forum, for the uber-geek power users. All in favor? I am totally gonna get flamed for this... :-p
    An update is an update for these phone's. At least with the latest Blackberry's it doesn't matter what your previous OS version is.

Your question was essentially answered immidiately. It just took several people saying it several different ways before you understood their answers.

No need for a power users group. I'm new myself.
    02-26-09 02:57 PM
    I would like to share my "OS Software For BlackBerry� 8830 World Edition smartphone.pdf" which is will give complete information and to download Bell OS for 8830.

I was install Bell Package v4.5.0.177 (App.4.5.0.127) to Alltel 8830, it's running smoothly and it was fastest manual switching from CDMA (injected) to GSM (SIM Card).
    02-26-09 03:10 PM
    I was replying to your previous thread - You stated the update is available if you had previously had the Bell version installed on your phone. Thats just going to confuse some people - making it sound like you can ONLY update if you had Bell prev. installed.

And as far as having my question answered - I was kidding - and also not referring to my OP. I was referring some previous posts. But it went over your head. No big deal. And yes, there is a need for a power users group. Because its rather annoying, useless and counter productive to post messages on the board, if half of the posts in and in between are off topic, coming from your everyday joe, or your googler who just happened to stumble across CB from the web. It would be nice to have an advanced users section, where one could be free to discuss, without newb questions, off topic posts and ignorant/***** posters clogging up the thread with nonsense, as many of the posts I come across are currently.

Dont get me wrong, I dont mind newbs, and I love to answer questions, just IMHO - would be great to have a section like this...anyway, way off topic - back to the convo at hand.

An update is an update for these phone's. At least with the latest Blackberry's it doesn't matter what your previous OS version is.

Your question was essentially answered immidiately. It just took several people saying it several different ways before you understood their answers.

No need for a power users group. I'm new myself.
    02-26-09 04:18 PM
    Has ANYONE gotten the 135 update (using IE) on a VERIZON 8830?

I have triad probably over a dozen times or more over the last 2 days, and I either get an application error message or a message saying that I have the latest edition available. I am running the Bell Mobility 4.5.0.127, having upgraded to that From 4.5.0.51.

.....no, I didn't think so. I even renamed the vendor.xml file and tried the auto update thru the web link. Nada. Zip.
    02-26-09 05:01 PM
    See the new sticky at the top - it goes directly to Sprint for the EXE download. I have not seen if it will overcome "you have the most recent" but have hopes as I download it now....
    02-26-09 08:24 PM
    Heres the link:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

Now, obviously we know that this will automatically updade Sprint 8830's to 4.5.0.135 - as I did this last night...but I am wondering, what OS is listed when VZW or other carriers plug their berries in, and click the update now button...?

An does anyone know when RIM rolled out this new feature? I find it quite convenient...and I think its going to catch on...and fast!

Michael
    Verizon still wants to install 4.5.0.77 (I'm using 8130 though). I still installed .131 from sprint though
    02-27-09 01:02 AM
    Verizon still wants to install 4.5.0.77 (I'm using 8130 though). I still installed .131 from sprint though
    I don't know if this will solve your problem, but the last time I had trouble installing a new OS I wound up downloading the OS file, then disconnecting from the internet before installing. When all else failed, this worked for me.
    Bonne chance!
    Luke
    Last edited by Luke Bizzy; 02-27-09 at 06:31 AM.
    02-27-09 06:29 AM
    sprint update is on the rim site Going to install on all our devices
    02-27-09 09:07 AM
    Sorry forgot to mention all BIS CDMA's.
    Hi,

Do you (or anyone else) know if the Curve's got a 4.5 update for BES users too? I just trying to see when the BES 4.5 update will be available.

Thanks.
    02-27-09 10:48 AM
    See the new sticky at the top - it goes directly to Sprint for the EXE download. I have not seen if it will overcome "you have the most recent" but have hopes as I download it now....
    Sticky at the top where?

Found it. Nevermind
    02-27-09 11:10 AM
    Folks

Can you please clarify something for me. I am a verizon user. Is it safe to upgrade to these versions that you mention ignoring what verizon recommends OR should I only update to what is on the verizon site...which seem to be older .77 release.

What are the relative benefits & risks of this action? I understand that I am on a CDMA network, so I better not try to update with anything other than a CDMA software image. Am using Pearl 8130.

One other thing: I am finding that my application loader only finds update when I use the blackberry link mentioned above. Is this normal? I have been assuming that it will find updates whenever I run the desktop software and it says "checking for updates". Just wondering if I am confused of have found a bug in the loader. I notice that there is an update for the 8130 called "4.5.0.101" mentioned in the description but it shows "....77" in the version column! Where should I look to find the right update and also interested in whether to take it from BB site or Verizon site.

Thank you for your patience!
    Last edited by danielnk; 02-28-09 at 09:28 AM.
    02-28-09 09:21 AM
    You are in the 8830 section just to be sure. You would need to find the OS for YOUR DEVICE. But you can upgrade using other carriers' versions of the OS that matches your device.

Depending on the features of the new OS you may gain extra memory, new features (the 4.5 for 8830 gives a voice recorder) and new software, again the 4.5 adds Doc-to-go.

Verizon, from what I've read, is generally very slow to release new OS for their phones - extra testing, just lazy - who knows.
    02-28-09 09:39 AM
    if I have a 8830 cdma on us cellular and I upgraded to 4.5.127 should I get the upgrade? Not sure what it buys me.

The other questions I had is regarding 4.6.x didn't know how you can tell which os you can update to? Is 4.6.x an option as well?

02-28-09 03:00 PM
    Read the sticky at the top of the beta os thread...

if I have a 8830 cdma on us cellular and I upgraded to 4.5.127 should I get the upgrade? Not sure what it buys me.

The other questions I had is regarding 4.6.x didn't know how you can tell which os you can update to? Is 4.6.x an option as well?

02-28-09 06:05 PM
    Also, on rims site there is a list of new features. It is benefitial for you to upgrade the OS whenever an official release is rolled out from RIM

02-28-09 06:06 PM
    Yeah, don't be fooled... .127 is the applications version... .177 is just the package number.

The newest update is Sprint's 4.5.0.135, which is package number .201

02-28-09 09:45 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD