Hey everyone,

So i just got an 8820 and even before i had completed the enterprise activation i noticed that google maps was having problems using my on-board gps. it would say "waiting for gps" and never pinpoint my location. In the Advanced Options>GPS the first time I access the menu it says "Your device has been remotely disabled for Location Tracking."

any idea what this means?
    09-19-08 10:49 AM
    Since you were doing an Enterprise Activation, you are on a BES account. That means your phone has an IT policy pushed to it. An IT Policy is the way a company enforces its IT Security rules on BlackBerry's that have inside-the-firewall access. These devices have BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) accounts instead of the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) accounts that consumer users typically have.

BES users get over the air synching of their Calendar, Email, Address Book, Tasks, and Memos. In return, they accept that the company can monitor all their email, log their phone calls, and in general control every aspect of their phone: whether they can install apps, use the Media Card or Bluetooth, or access the internet, for example. Yours apparently controls the GPS. If your policy is that stringent, you will probably find other functions disabled as well.

IT Policies can be very strict to benign. Mine, for example, only requires me to use a password and Content Protection and sets the max timeout to 30 minutes.

If you have an employer-provided phone, and attempt to remove the IT Policy with CrackIT or any other tool, your attempt will be detected the next time you attempt to log on to the company servers, the IT policy will be pushed back on your phone, and you could face severe disciplinary consequences for violating security.
    09-20-08 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD