1. I've got the GPS setting turned to location on. Is there someway for it to tell me where I am or display my lat/long, etc?

2. How do I turn the GPS on in the mapping program? In the Map program I've tried options>> GPS>> but the GPS source doesn't list any GPS's in the box, just gives me a None option there.

Thanks
    06-26-08 01:33 PM
    Verizon GPS is locked down to only be used with VZNavigator. Welcome to the party pal.
    06-26-08 01:35 PM
    It depends what mapping program you're talking about. Google maps sometimes won't connect to your GPS. Make sure you have the most current version of GMaps.

BlackBerry Maps has an option in the menu "Start GPS Navigation." Make sure that's turned on. If you don't have BB Maps, make sure you install it. It's a free app.

As far as the coordinates, you can download an app that actually tells you your geographic location. Check this link out. Here's another link.

In short:
    1. Make sure you have BBMaps downloaded, check out my signature,
    2. Make sure you have the latest version of GMaps,
    3. In BBMaps, go to the menu and select "Start GPS Navigation."
    4. Check out the geocaching links.
    06-26-08 01:41 PM
    johnnywoods, let me bold it for you so it stands out.

Verizon GPS is locked down to only be used with VZNavigator.

You're with Sprint, your GPS is not locked down... big difference. The OP however is with Verizon.
    06-26-08 01:49 PM
    1. I've got the GPS setting turned to location on. Is there someway for it to tell me where I am or display my lat/long, etc?

2. How do I turn the GPS on in the mapping program? In the Map program I've tried options>> GPS>> but the GPS source doesn't list any GPS's in the box, just gives me a None option there.

Thanks
    Verizon GPS is locked down to only be used with VZNavigator. Welcome to the party pal.
    Your only option is to buy an external GPS puck that syncs by bluetooth. I use the Freedom Keychain 2000, available from the crackberry store. It will work with any GPS software you care to use. It doesn't come with any.
    06-26-08 01:52 PM
    johnnywoods, let me bold it for you so it stands out.

Verizon GPS is locked down to only be used with VZNavigator.

You're with Sprint, your GPS is not locked down... big difference. The OP however is with Verizon.
    Listen JRSCCivic, I was typing out the first response to the thread when you dished out your post. Good observation, I'm not with Verizon and don't have a way of knowing what apps are locked or unlocked.

So let me bold it for you, so it stands out,

Pipe it down bro, you get carried away sometimes
    06-26-08 02:01 PM
    Pipe it down bro, you get carried away sometimes
    Yeah, I get carried away because I'm right and you're wrong.

How am I responsible for you posting incorrect info? There's nothing wrong with you wanting to help, but you have to know your stuff. The truth lies in the details.
    06-26-08 02:06 PM
    Yeah, I get carried away because I'm right and you're wrong.

How am I responsible for you posting incorrect info? There's nothing wrong with you wanting to help, but you have to know your stuff. The truth lies in the details.
    Capitan BlackBerry,
    You're simply outrageous. That's all. Climb back on your pedestal somewhere else. I bet mine is bigger than yours! LOL
    Last edited by johnnywoods; 06-26-08 at 02:19 PM.
    06-26-08 02:10 PM
    Anyway, I'm on Verizon- so they lock my GPS app unless I'm using it with their subscription software?
    06-26-08 04:00 PM
    That stinks man.
    06-26-08 04:17 PM
    I bet mine is bigger than yours! LOL
    At least you got the LOL part right.
    06-26-08 04:39 PM
    Thats VZW for you.
    06-26-08 04:40 PM
    Anyway, I'm on Verizon- so they lock my GPS app unless I'm using it with their subscription software?
    Yes, Verizon locks the gps so you have to pay about $10/month for their software.

Or, as mentioned, you can purchase a separate gps puck and use that with other 3rd party software. There are both FREE and other commercial products available. Check the gps forum
    06-26-08 06:43 PM
    At least you got the LOL part right.
    Good comeback!
    06-27-08 07:18 PM
    You'll give people the wrong impression about our loving CB community.
    Kim Jong-il is looking for a new PR representative. CrackBerry forums seem about as loving as the Dear leader of DPRK. ;-)
    06-27-08 08:34 PM
    See what happens when you introduce a Texan to anything. Introduce one to the white house and the country goes to crap. Introduce one to Crackberry and the forums turn to crap.

Oh Snap
    06-27-08 09:16 PM
    Hey, will you guys cut it out? The OP actually has a question. Not cool to hijack a newbie's thread to engage in a p|ss|ng contest.
    You'll give people the wrong impression about our loving CB community.
    You're absolutely right. It wasn't cool for me to begin playing this game. But just look at this guy's posts. You'll find this same tone in his other posts all over this site. They're a little rough. It just stinks to get blasted by this dude when you're trying to help. But you are right nonetheless. My appologies to the OP.

JRSCCivic98, if you wanna roll, lets take this offline and PM me.
    06-28-08 12:37 AM
    Play nice boys (& girls)!

I for one appreciate the additional info provided - Yes the OP is with Verizon but I'm NOT & was wondering exactly the same thing. I reckon there's others looking for the same info too, so whether the info applies to OP or not its still useful & in context..

Lets just leave it at both pieces of info are clear & correct & leave the flame war somewhere else.
    07-02-08 01:41 AM
    See what happens when you introduce a Texan to anything. Introduce one to the white house and the country goes to crap. Introduce one to Crackberry and the forums turn to crap.
    07-02-08 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD