Does (or did) anyone have troubles with their 8830 and GPS? I'm on Alltel and everything else works like a charm on my new 8830 but I cannot get a satellite lock to save my life! What am I missing here? I"ve used BB maps, Google maps, and GPSED and none of them can get a signal using the GPS, apparently.

thanks,

MG
    06-17-08 03:22 PM
    Gota activate it by installing and subscribing to TelNav from Alltel. Then cancel, but don't uninstall the software. Only way to activate GPS on the Alltel 8830. It's been discussed.
    06-17-08 03:25 PM
    When I got my Alltel 8830, no software would hit GPS satelites.

I downloaded Nav4all and suddenly some programs started hitting satelites. Although sorta finicky it seems, Nav4all and Google maps both hit satelites and get me within like 6 meters I believe it says. But, sometimes they say 1700 meters, or 5000 meters (I think at 5000 meters I once saw something about it was using celltower triangulation!).

But when using BBmaps, it always says "searching for satelites" and never gets them.

I've never installed TelNav ever...

I'm wondering why BBmaps never finds the satelites...
    06-17-08 04:10 PM
    Google maps only sees cell towers so far.

I'll try the Telenav solution. Thanks!

Note: the first time I tried to d/l telenav it told me I had insufficient space, even though I have a 4gb SD card installed. I have the media card set for "yes" on mass storage. Any ideas, anyone?

MG
    06-18-08 09:51 AM
    You canNOT use the MEDIA card for the storage or installations of applications unfortunately.
    06-18-08 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD