Hi all,

This is my first time posting - I have a 12GB data plan but my telcom service provider (Singapore's Starhub) just told me that I can't use my 8820 to surf the Net.

I'm hoping that you folks will prove them wrong.

The problem, they claim, is that I did not buy it straight from the telcom - I would need the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS).

I've just locked myself into (what I thought was) a fantastic 12GB data plan, and am not willing to fork out the extra $$$ to pay for the BIS.

(The 8820 is no longer sold by the telcom companies here, so I bought it online as an 'export' set, because I needed a BB without camera.)

I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me some advice.

Thanks and regards,
    Kwan
    12-28-09 07:40 AM
    dude , you've gotta sign up for the bis if not you have to change your phone.
    glad t see someone from singapore using this forum
    anw starhub has cap $36 on data so nothing to worry about
    01-27-10 05:48 AM
    like what r3spect said, all blackberry phones need BISo or BES data plans to browse and e-mail, regular internet data doesnt work. I saw this happen to a friend of mine in South America
    02-01-10 06:15 AM
    dude , you've gotta sign up for the bis if not you have to change your phone.
    glad t see someone from singapore using this forum
    anw starhub has cap $36 on data so nothing to worry about
    wrong
    like what r3spect said, all blackberry phones need BISo or BES data plans to browse and e-mail, regular internet data doesnt work. I saw this happen to a friend of mine in South America
    wrong

This isn't quite accurate. While it's true that BLACKBERRY-BRANDED Internet software won't work, third party Internet software does.

Stuff like Opera Mini, Google Maps, GMAIL Mobile, Beejive MSN Chat, etc, all worked perfectly on a BlackBerry with a REGULAR DATA SIM card -- NO BLACKBERRY PLAN NEEDED...

You only need a blackberry plan for blackberry-branded applications (the preinstalled Internet software).

However, you can install 3rd party Internet applications on a BlackBerry, such as Opera Mini, Bolt Browser, Google Maps, GMAIL Mobile, Beejive chat, and other software.

Assuming your data plan successfully tethers on other cellphones, it *should* successfully tether on the BlackBerry without a BlackBerry plan. I've seen it being done before. Make sure you DO test on a friend's cellphone, to verify it's not the BlackBerry blocking it. It is possible for a carrier/office to program a BlackBerry to block tethering using "policies" (on BES and BIS), but if this is your own BlackBerry then it should't be blocked from tethering, even on non-BlackBerry plans that work in other phones or laptop sticks. If necesary, do the javaloader -resettofactory trick.

Carriers DO NOT KNOW this, so usually give misleading information about non-BlackBerry plans on BlackBerry devices.

(Note! It is very *tricky* to install OTA applications without a BlackBerry BIS/BES plan. You must use some complex DOS-style commands (javaloader) or a third party application installer, or try to find a BlackBerr Desktop Installer. You cannot install OTA applications using BlackBerry Browser, and App Store will NOT work. For more information, search the CrackBerry forums. There's information on how to do this.)

NOTE: It is not for the faint of heart, because of the complexity (1) It must be a third party Internet app, and (2) App Store won't work, so the only way to install apps is via more complex means. (Easiest is a BlackBerry Desktop Installer, but not all apps have that).

NOTE2: No guarantees that tethering will work. But it *should* if successfully testing the SIM card in another phone or laptop stick AND you've made sure your BlackBerry is 100% clean (-resettofactory style *and* it is your own personal BlackBerry, not work BlackBerry)
    Last edited by mdrejhon; 02-01-10 at 11:29 AM.
    02-01-10 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD