Hi everyone,

I am going to Jamaica in Nov. I own a BB 8830 WE and am not using it right now. I got a Curve. What I am wondering is if I can take the 8830 WE phone to Jamaica with me. By a SIM card for BB and use it whiole I am down there. I just want to be able to have contact with my kids if need be with out getting all the international service and everything.

Thanks,
    Tracy
    10-01-08 05:09 PM
    The 8830 will work fine in Jamaica. Great signal actually. If you want to activate the phone with Sprint or Verizon, call them at least 24 hours before to tell them to turn your world capabilities on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by enriquenarez; 10-02-08 at 02:06 PM.
    10-02-08 01:59 PM
    The phone will work without any hassle in Jamaica. I know the Sprint version SIM comes unlock....Don't know if the same with Verizon. I read somewhere that the official update from Verizon unlock the SIM "Not fully sure".
    However if the SIM is unlock all u will need is just a local SIM card (Degicel or any other) while u r there and avoid the international charges from Verizon.
    I have use my Sprint version while I was there a few months ago.
    10-02-08 04:57 PM
    Unless you have unlocked the GSM side of your 8830 WE it will no work with a local sim card. If you have a verizon sim you can call global support and ask them for the unlock code. Did it myself. Just tell them you will be traveling for a short-extended period of time and need the unlock code for your phone. Shouldn't have a problem. Once that is done just buy a local sim card and you are good to go.

Good luck and enjoy
    10-03-08 08:30 PM
    Have an Irie time mon, and enjoy your 8830!
    10-04-08 10:33 AM
    U'll be aight with communication in JamRock player, GSM rules here.
    10-04-08 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD