Hello! My first post! YAY! Anyways, I've had my BB8830 on Verizon since the end of July or so and I've dropped it a solid 10-20 times, one time it slid like a hockey puck for 20 or so feet. Well, since I pay the $6 a month for insurance, I was wondering if I could just call them and complain about it's functionality and get a new one. The truth is since I got it, at least once a day it gets stuck on Conference Call mode when I try and a make a call and freezes, thats without me even making a conference call, just standard call.

Any help or thoughts would be great!

Cheers....
    01-11-08 04:42 AM
    Yes, according to your policy, you should be able to to get a replacement. However, I am betting they will be looking for more physical damage.

How can you drop it SO much? I hope you are using a holster, sounds like you need to.
    01-11-08 06:38 AM
    The conference call freeze is an OS issue. Update to the current OS and you won't have that problem anymore. If you call VZW and really want a replacement, don't tell them about that specific issue. Tell them sound is real bad or that it cuts out... make something up, otherwise they will walk you through the OS update to fix your conference call freeze issue.
    01-11-08 09:34 AM
    Yea, whatever you do, don't be honest with them, just make things up. What a way to lead a life. AND just hope people never treat you that way.

smfh
    01-11-08 09:49 AM
    I doubt that you'll get a replacement that way,they will want the original that will be inspected for physical damage so they can repair and give to some poor sap as a refurb,do you think that maybe the conference call freeze might be because you use your bb as a personal drop dummy?,if you do get a replacement,please treat your bb with better care,its a wonderful device that should be treated better than that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-08 10:06 AM
    I dropped my BB for the first time the other day in walmart. I was hurt...
    01-11-08 10:28 AM
    I dropped my BB for the first time the other day in walmart. I was hurt...
    Those rubber skins do wonders for nice protection from small drops... good "insulation".
    01-11-08 10:50 AM
    Hahahaha, I know I should be taking better care of it. I don't you a holster because I tend to forget I have a 3 inch protrusion on my hip and i knock it againt stuff, thereby breaking it. My job is rather hectic and on and off site, so I just put it my pocket. Anyway, it's my favorite item and wish I hadn't dropped it...

So, thanks on the advice to not mention conference call. If i tell the insurance I want a new one, wouldn't they send one out and THEN i send mine in (only keeping the battery) so they wouldn't be able to inspect it before sending a new one? Assuming, I use the poor volume excuse...

thanks everyone, I need to buy the BB an airbag
    01-11-08 01:43 PM
    Hahahaha, I know I should be taking better care of it. I don't you a holster because I tend to forget I have a 3 inch protrusion on my hip and i knock it againt stuff, thereby breaking it. My job is rather hectic and on and off site, so I just put it my pocket. Anyway, it's my favorite item and wish I hadn't dropped it...

So, thanks on the advice to not mention conference call. If i tell the insurance I want a new one, wouldn't they send one out and THEN i send mine in (only keeping the battery) so they wouldn't be able to inspect it before sending a new one? Assuming, I use the poor volume excuse...

thanks everyone, I need to buy the BB an airbag
    I'm not sure how Verizon works, but in another thread, someone said a carrier (don't remember which one) keeps extra units for swapping out but not sure if it was for those under 30 days or over. But how the swapping at Bell works is that you keep your 8830 until the new one is shipped from RIM, once your carrier recieves the refurbished unit they'll call you in and do the necessary swap of information (ESN or whatever). Also, the first 8830 I got, the battery life was horrendous (that was the only problem) they sent it out (I got another shipped to me) but said that they DO perform checks for water damage, physical damage and if they do find out that there was, you get charged a fee (I forgot the amount). I don't know if this is true or not, but I don't see why they would lie if the carrier isn't the one swapping device so they're really not losing anything. So if anything, whatever you decide to do with your now damaged phone, proceed with caution.
    01-11-08 05:06 PM
    Your Phone is still covered under the Manf. one year Warranty, take it back to Verizon.
    01-11-08 05:43 PM
    even though there are noticeable scratches and dents from my stupid *** dropping it?
    01-11-08 05:57 PM
    Ok it's real easy. 1st if you go to Verizon theyll notice that youve dropped & they wont replace it. Furthermore the insurance wont cover it unless it has damage. If its just not working right theyll tell you to take it to verizon & the 1st scenario will happen. Just tell them that the screen broke or you dropped it in water & its acting up. Then when you get your new one do what you said in the insurance claim. I would use the dropping in water one. Drop it in the sink after you get your new one & then put it in the prepaid envelope & return it.
    04-06-08 08:40 PM
    And the winner for Old Thread Resurector is.......
    04-06-08 09:45 PM
    And the winner for Old Thread Resurector is.......
    LMAO +10 for that...(hot joke...!) HAHAHAHAHAHA
    04-07-08 12:07 AM
    you probably got a new one already and everything went like butter
    04-07-08 03:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD