Hi,

I have two questions:

1) How can I free up more memory and keep my BB running smoothly besides holding down ALT and typing 'LGLG' and clearing the log, closing the browser properly, using the 'Memory Cleaner', and taking the battery out every so often to refresh the network? What other ways are there?

2) Currently my BB 8830 version is: v4.2.2.176 (Platform 3.0.0.76) what is the most recent upgrade, and how can I obtain it that is if I need to?

-thanks
    09-09-08 12:00 AM
    #1 Check the link on my signature "Optimizing your memory" to free things up.

#2 Last I heard, there are no official 4.5 Telus OS. Maybe soon, they will release 4.5. There are people running 4.5 with the 8830 but they are betas and those links will not be found on CB as there are not officially released.
    Last edited by Garz; 09-09-08 at 12:12 AM.
    09-09-08 12:08 AM
    1. Perform the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. That's the best step you can take. The Memory cleaner doesn't help any, and the log is typically so small that deleting it is insignificant.

2. The current OS for the 8830 is 4.2.2.196, available from Verizon and Sprint, and probably Telus as well. The procedure in step 1 will show you how to download it. Other than enabling the use of 8GB microSD cards, .196 does nothing significant.
    09-09-08 12:10 AM
    how exactly do you upgrade the OS. I have gone through the steps on verizons website and i instal the DM and 8830 OS software, but I am never prompted after hooking up my phone to my computer to upgrade. I am getting very annoyed with thi phone as I bought an 8gig kingston micro sd card and the phone won't recognize it and the idiots at Verizon were telling me they don't know how to upgrade the OS!!!

if someone could please walk me through the steps it would be greatly appreciated!!

-Cramer
    09-19-08 01:37 AM
    If you just got your 8830, it should have come with OS 4.2.2.196. That is the latest officially released OS for the 8830. It supports an 8GB media card. If you have 4.2.2.196, you don't need an upgrade. If you have 4.2.2.176, it supports up to 4GB.

The upgrade is not hard, but it is not trivial. You'd be well advised to perfrom the MOP linked in my sig first. That's a good OS familiarization tutorial.

If you have 4.2.2.176 and want to upgrade to 4.2.2.196, the steps in the MOP will show you how to download and install the OS. Then Brian McClure's Uprade / Downgrade Procedure, also linked in my sig, will show you how to install it. Again, it is not trivial, and you can easily brick your phone if you don't follow the instructions.
    09-19-08 08:57 AM
    Thank you for the helpful info. I have the 4.2.2.196 software currently on my phone, but my phone won't recognize the 8gig card that I installed into it. Do i need to first format the car in a SD reader and then instal it into my phone as the format option from my phone when the card is in place always comes back with an error reading "format media card failed". sorry to have hijacked this thread, but blackberry is very new to me.

Thank You again for all the help!!!

-Cramer
    09-19-08 10:56 AM
    Thank you for the helpful info. I have the 4.2.2.196 software currently on my phone, but my phone won't recognize the 8gig card that I installed into it. Do i need to first format the car in a SD reader and then instal it into my phone as the format option from my phone when the card is in place always comes back with an error reading "format media card failed". sorry to have hijacked this thread, but blackberry is very new to me.

Thank You again for all the help!!!

-Cramer
    I don't have an 8GB card to test it with, but the release notes explicitly state that 4.2.2.196 supports 8GB cards and several posters have confirmed that it does. One poster reported it working intermittently. Here are a couple of things to try:

The most likely problem is that you don't have the card installed or seated correctly. Try removing and reinstalling it. There's a tutorial and video how-to in the BlackBerry 101 section that's really helpful. Once you've got the card installed again, enable it in the software and try the format again. To enable the card:
    Status / Options / Media Card
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

If the card still won't format, remove it and attempt to format it to FAT32 in your PC using a microSD-to-SD adapter. If the card won't format in the PC either, it's likely you have a defective card. If the card will format in the PC, you can put in back in the BlackBerry and use it without needing to format it in the BlackBerry.

If the card will format in the PC, but won't work in the BlackBerry, it's possible the slot in the BlackBerry is defective. It's also possible that an upgrade to OS4.5 might solve the problem. The person who reported intermittent operation said that OS4.5 solved his problem. Unfortunately, OS4.5 is still in beta for the 8830. I never recommend anyone install a beta OS. It's still beta because it isn't ready for release. But people are using it. You can't get a beta OS from the forum. You're on your own to find it, and use it at your own risk.

The OP asked about upgrading from 4.2.2.176, so I don't consider your question to be hijacking the thread.
    09-19-08 12:59 PM
    ...196 does nothing significant.
    I might add, though, that upgrading to .196 cleared up an annoying internet connection problem that at least some of us with 8830s were experiencing, where after an indefinite amount of internet usage the connection would simply "seize up" & handset couldn't connect anymore (sometimes would happen in the middle of a session). No rhyme or reason to it; battery pulls only temporarily cleared it up. Upgrading from .176 to .196 seems to have cured that - at least for the past 2 or 3 weeks it's all good!
    09-20-08 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD