Something happened to my BB today, and I have no idea what it is. I can move the trackball up and down, but it pressing it does not select like it should.

This is more than a possible dirty trackball because my Escape key is no longer working. I tried to do a soft reboot, but those keys are not responding, either. I pulled the battery, but no dice there. In addition to this, my A key is not responding.

Any help with this would be appreciated.
    11-08-08 06:58 PM
    Exchange the device.
    11-08-08 07:06 PM
    Not quite the advice I was hoping for, but I can't really argue with it. Any thoughts on what you think may have caused this? Am I going to be able to recover all of my information, or is this a semi-functional brick?
    11-08-08 08:38 PM
    I'd take out the track ball and take a compressed air can to it. I have the same BB as you and I found that this helps.

If that doesn't help, it might be a short. If ANYTHING at all gets in between the keys or if water gets in there, you're screwed.

If nothing works, take it in to the store and beg for a new phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 08:47 PM
    do a backup on your PC BEFORE you exchange it. you dont have to do anything on your berry to do that.
    and sunkast gave the only advice there is to give. its a hardware problem, nothing you can do (without voiding the warranty). so just back everything up on your PC, take it to a VZW store and see if they can fix it, but chances are they'll have to replace it
    11-08-08 08:48 PM
    Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the input. I'll be visiting a store first thing tomorrow.
    11-08-08 09:15 PM
    Take your finger and slap the top of the trackball a few times. As the trackball gets used more and more gunk can get in there. Slapping it a little and blowing on it will loosen some particles and get things working again.
    11-08-08 11:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD