The wife and I are going on our first trip to France. Last time I was in Europe was on a vacation paid for by Uncle Sam and that was long before cell phones. My son gave me an 8830 and said it was time I get out of the 19th century technologically. I love using the phone.

Question is, will it work in France? Anyone know what I have to do to use it over there and if it is really expensive? I really just want to have it in case of emergencies. Also, do they have WIFI in Europe?

Thanks for your help.

One old traveler.
    09-26-09 11:20 AM
    Well, yes it will work if you get a roaming plan and WIFI in Europe is ok.

(not to forget the power adapter)

Best Regards
    Last edited by SatanDream; 09-26-09 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Update
    09-26-09 12:13 PM
    They have wifi. I suggest you pick up a local sim card which is cheaper.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 02:11 PM
    I agree.I took both a 8830 and Storm when I went to europe(flew into France) and the phones both worked perfectly. A local Sim is a great investment though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 03:39 PM
    You need to unlock your phone before using a local SIM. Call Verizon and ask for the unlock code.
    09-26-09 06:17 PM
    Thank you.

What is a local sim card and are they expensive?
    09-26-09 09:52 PM
    ...Also, do they have WIFI in Europe?...
    ROFL!!!

A "local SIM" is a SIM from a local carrier. Orange is a carrier in France. Not sure on pricing, but it will be a lot cheaper than roaming with Verizon.

If Verizon gives you trouble unlocking your phone, I suggest BlackBerry Unlock Code. It's usually a 5 minute deal getting your code.
    Last edited by 312; 04-16-11 at 06:29 PM.
    09-26-09 10:12 PM
    ROFL!!!

A "local SIM" is a SIM from a local carrier. Orange is a carrier in France. Not sure on pricing, but it will be a lot cheaper than roaming with Verizon.

If Verizon gives you trouble unlocking your phone, I suggest Unique Phones. It's usually a 5 minute deal getting your code.
    cut the guy some slack lol
    09-26-09 11:52 PM
    The 8830 does NOT have wifi. If you have a laptop/netbook then that is a different issue.

I used my 8830 in Italy mostly for 3 weeks but not much phone, mostly data.

Calls are approx $1.99/minute, I think. But you can half that by signing up for Verizon's Global plan for $70/month which replaces your normal BIS plan ($30/month) for a $40 per month over what you now pay - calls in/out are $0.99/minute and data is UNlimited. I don't know the data rate - some decimal (g)

The costs are pro rata - use for 2 weeks and only pay for 2 weeks and then repickup your BIS.

I saved about $300+ on data in the 3 weeks.

Call Verizon and inquire.

If you get a local sim card, all calls to/from the US are priced Internationally, I believe and you have a different phone number.
    09-27-09 12:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD