Hey guys, first post here. Been lurking for a while though. (a while = a week.)

Anyway, I'm on a VZW 8830 running (from the store) 4.2.2.148. Now, first off, since the .176 update came in november, why is my brand spanking new 8830 not already updated? I mean seriously.

But I digress, I run in a mac world. I don't own a PC and though I have access to a PC at work and at my parents home (200 miles away), I don't want to have to install all the BB software on some one else's computer so I can upgrade my firmware.

Can someone tell me how to migrate from .148 to .176 in an OS X world? I have already downloaded pocketmac and used it to sync and such, but the file from VZW is an .exe (windows executable). Oh, and installing XP on my mac isn't an option either.

Any help?
    12-16-07 10:14 AM
    There is no other option other than using a PC. Sorry to say, but nothing short of that will do.

As for the reason why your 8830 didn't come already upgraded, when do you think VZW purchased it from RIM?
    12-16-07 10:23 AM
    There is no other option other than using a PC. Sorry to say, but nothing short of that will do.

As for the reason why your 8830 didn't come already upgraded, when do you think VZW purchased it from RIM?
    shucks. Just did some reading on the mac forum and read the same...

As far as it not coming upgraded... You can buy an old mac from apple's online store refurbished and they go ahead and upgrade from tiger to leopard for free! Heck, even if you purchased a new one during the month of october before they released leopard, they upgraded for you for free. Just got use to that kind of service I guess. Hehe, should have expected less from VZW.

Thanks for the reply.
    12-16-07 10:30 AM
    no worries
    12-16-07 10:40 AM
    Go buy an iPhone that's been sitting on the shelf at AT&T for a while. Do you think it'll have the latest upgrade applied to it? I doubt that.
    12-16-07 10:47 AM
    how can you (I) tell if it has .148 or .176?
    12-16-07 04:32 PM
    Options->About
    12-16-07 04:33 PM
    I purchased my 8830 from Verizon 12/04/07, and it came with v4.2.2.176 update, I would guess it depends on the store and the reps checking for the latest updates.
    12-16-07 08:51 PM
    I'm new to the 8830 and run in the Mac world as well. Is it possible to take your device into the local Verizon store for an upgrade to the OS?
    12-16-07 10:35 PM
    I just checked my version (options -> about) and I still have the .66 version and I don't seem to be "missing" anything. Everything works well with it, including other 3rd party apps I've installed...
    12-16-07 11:44 PM
    Here's the deal with the .176 update. On the surface it may appear there's no reason to update which is what I thought since it requires re-activating with my BES and I didn't want to go through the hassle. I just returned today from a trip to Puerto Rico and Antigua. When I arrived in Puerto Rico and tried to boot up my 8830 I received an "error code 348" which is close to the equivalent of a blue screen on a PC. The device is totally locked up with no response regardless of what you do. Pulling the battery has no effect other than going back into error code mode as soon as the device tries to connect to the network. My wife's Treo (also on Verizon) worked fine. So did a colleague's 8830 but he had installed the update. I spent hours on the phone with Verizon tech services. I spoke with multiple people on the other end of the line. A couple thought it might be a "software" issue - others weren't sure. I had my laptop with me and Googled "error code 348" and found some links to others describing this problem in Puerto Rico and other areas down there. Once in "348" mode you will be totally unable to access anything on your device (contact, datebook, etc.) unless you VERY quickly deactivate your network connecting as the device tries to boot up. You will have about 10 seconds to do this. If you're too slow, the device tries to connect to the network and locks up. If you're quick enough you can put it in "airplane" mode and at least use it as a PDA. In any case, I was able to do nothing in Puerto Rico because of this problem. I then headed to Antigua where the phone was in Global (GSM) mode and what do you know ...everything worked. I requested a new enterprise activation code from my IT people and was up and running the entire week I was there with no problems (voice or data). Yesterday I flew back to Puerto Rico and when we landed I turned on the 8830 and was immediately back in "error code 348" mode. I don't think anyone has a good explanation for this but I can tell you that it's not a general network problem since my wife's Treo worked. Again, it appears that it's the .176 issue since one of the tech service people hinted at it and my colleague who had the update had no problems in Puerto Rico. So, depending on when and where you travel I suggest you rethink whether or not you want to ignore this update. Needless to say it's on mine now.
    Last edited by rgoeri; 01-29-08 at 07:45 AM.
    01-28-08 08:11 PM
    I got mine from Alltel in 12/07 and it has v4.2.2.123. Are the updates carrier specific or should I just update?
    01-28-08 08:25 PM
    Here's the deal with the .176 update. On the surface it may appear there's no reason to update which is what I thought since it requires re-activating with my BES and I didn't want to go through the hassle. I just returned today from a trip to Puerto Rico and Antigua. When I arrived in Puerto Rico and tried to boot up my 8830 I received an "error code 348" which is close to the equivalent of a blue screen on a PC. The device is totally locked up with no response regardless of what you do. Pulling the battery has no effect other than going back into error code mode as soon as the device tries to connect to the network. My wife's Treo (also on Verizon) worked fine. So did a colleague's 8830 but he had installed the update. I spent hours on the phone with Verizon tech services. I spoke with multiple people on the other end of the line. A couple thought it might be a "software" issue - others weren't sure. I had my laptop with me and Googled "error code 348" and found some links to others describing this problem in Page Ranking and other areas down there. Once in "348" mode you will be totally unable to access anything on your device (contact, datebook, etc.) unless you VERY quickly deactivate your network connecting as the device tries to boot up. You will have about 10 seconds to do this. If you're too slow, the device tries to connect to the network and locks up. If you're quick enough you can put it in "airplane" mode and at least use it as a PDA. In any case, I was able to do nothing in PR because of this problem. I then headed to Antigua where the phone was in Global (GSM) mode and what do you know ...everything worked. I requested a new enterprise activation code from my IT people and was up and running the entire week I was there with no problems (voice or data). Yesterday I flew back to PR and when we landed I turned on the 8830 and was immediately back in "error code 348" mode. I don't think anyone has a good explanation for this but I can tell you that it's not a general network problem since my wife's Treo worked. Again, it appears that it's the .176 issue since one of the tech service people hinted at it and my colleague who had the update had no problems in PR. So, depending on when and where you travel I suggest you rethink whether or not you want to ignore this update. Needless to say it's on mine now.
    So, I'm wondering.... what OS version WAS on your phone when you had all these problems? Was it one release back from .176 or was it an original release version? Info such as that make a world of a difference in perspective because if you had a really old release of the OS, the issue described might not happen with just one release back from .176.

I say this because there were documented cases with CDMA/GSM switch issues in previous releases. Not saying that's the case here, but we need this info in order to make your post "meaningful" via precise data/findings. I'm certainly interested... so, what OS version were you on during your trip?
    01-28-08 11:23 PM
    So, I'm wondering.... what OS version WAS on your phone when you had all these problems? Was it one release back from .176 or was it an original release version? Info such as that make a world of a difference in perspective because if you had a really old release of the OS, the issue described might not happen with just one release back from .176.

I say this because there were documented cases with CDMA/GSM switch issues in previous releases. Not saying that's the case here, but we need this info in order to make your post "meaningful" via precise data/findings. I'm certainly interested... so, what OS version were you on during your trip?
    I was running under 4.2.2.148 which is what was there when I first got the phone from Verizon in spring of '07. This is a very interesting problem because it implies that there's something about service in Puerto Rico (and apparently some of the other islands that aren't GSM) that's causing a BB 8830 glitch depending on the OS. I was down there last year in January with a BB7130e and had no problems.
    01-29-08 05:32 AM
    Just a quick additional note - the firmware update does not fix the fact that the 8830WE can receive international SMS messaages (e.g., receive an international message while in the US) but not do the reverse (send a SMS message from a unit in the US to an international handheld). Perhaps this will be addressed in the pending BlackBerry OS v4.5 Update.
    Last edited by rgoeri; 02-02-08 at 04:20 PM.
    02-02-08 04:05 PM
    With regards to updating to the most recent OS, it's not always ideal to update to it if you have no problems with the OS currently on your BlackBerry. It's like drivers for your hardware on your computer, if the hardware is working fine, the manufacturer will even suggest that you don't update to the latest driver version. I had some issues with my original BlackBerry (the initial OS that shipped with the first BlackBerry's upon release) and all was fixed when updated. Again, it all depends, if your Berry is fine, then an update isn't necessary. Also, read what the update fixes, sometimes it's not worth to update if it doesn't fix anything like one of the other threads have stated.
    02-02-08 10:57 PM
    Just a quick additional note - the firmware update does not fix the fact that the 8830WE can receive international SMS messaages (e.g., receive an international message while in the US) but not do the reverse (send a SMS message from a unit in the US to an international handheld). Perhaps this will be addressed in the pending BlackBerry OS v4.5 Update.
    I think that's a carrier thing rather then a phone.
    02-03-08 12:22 AM
    I think that's a carrier thing rather then a phone.
    I'm sure you're right. Perhaps the server update that's supposed to be part of the upcoming BlackBerry OS v4.5 Update will address this. It's very annoying because when overseas it's much cheaper to text contacts there rather than call them and it only works one way right now.
    02-03-08 07:16 AM
    With regards to updating to the most recent OS, it's not always ideal to update to it if you have no problems with the OS currently on your BlackBerry. It's like drivers for your hardware on your computer, if the hardware is working fine, the manufacturer will even suggest that you don't update to the latest driver version. I had some issues with my original BlackBerry (the initial OS that shipped with the first BlackBerry's upon release) and all was fixed when updated. Again, it all depends, if your Berry is fine, then an update isn't necessary. Also, read what the update fixes, sometimes it's not worth to update if it doesn't fix anything like one of the other threads have stated.
    I totally agree with your point about not installing unnecessary updates. The problem I ran into (see above) was that my BlackBerry worked find in the continental U.S. and there was no indication that not doing the .176 update would present any problems when going to Puerto Rico (and apparently some other [CDMA] southern locations). In addition, not all Verizon tech support people know about this issue as I found out.
    02-03-08 07:23 AM
    I'm sure you're right. Perhaps the server update that's supposed to be part of the upcoming BlackBerry OS v4.5 Update will address this. It's very annoying because when overseas it's much cheaper to text contacts there rather than call them and it only works one way right now.
    No, you don't get it. SMS and MMS is carrier dependant. Just because you have service for "Voice" overseas with a Verizon "partner" does not mean you'll have the same SMS/MMS capabilities as you do here in the US on VZW's home network. I guess what I mean is that you'd see the same issues if you didn't have a BB, but another phone. It's not a BB issue, so there's nothing to "upgrade" to fix this. Bring it up to your carrier and maybe then they could think about fixing this.
    02-03-08 12:25 PM
    No, you don't get it. SMS and MMS is carrier dependant. Just because you have service for "Voice" overseas with a Verizon "partner" does not mean you'll have the same SMS/MMS capabilities as you do here in the US on VZW's home network. I guess what I mean is that you'd see the same issues if you didn't have a BB, but another phone. It's not a BB issue, so there's nothing to "upgrade" to fix this. Bring it up to your carrier and maybe then they could think about fixing this.
    A point of clarification...this also involves Verizon's home network. For example, if I send a SMS message from the US to an overseas number they won't get it (I suppose it's a cross talk issue between Verizon and whoever the overseas carrier is) but if someone on an overseas network (e.g., UK O2) sends me a SMS message here in the US I do get it. What I don't understand in this instance is why it only works in one direction. My point about the BlackBerry OS v4.5 upgrade was that from the news post my understanding is that this will involve not only the handheld but also the network server and I was hoping that aspect of the upgrade might affect this. I admit to not knowing how the server upgrade works...just wondering. In addition, you're probably right about it affecting Verizon handhelds other than just the BB. It would just be nice if this worked in both directions.
    02-03-08 01:45 PM
    Has to do with "International SMS/MMS" capabilities. Call VZW and ask about it. As for the 4.5 upgrade for the handheld and "network servers". When they say that, they mean the BIS Carrier Network Servers. Those have nothing to do with SMS/MMS capabilities because those are not part of BIS. (If they were you wouldn't have to pay extra to have them... wouldn't that be cool.)

BIS is the only thing that the 4.5 upgrade will touch on the carrier's network servers. That only governs stuff with BIS... email. Hope that clears that up a bit.
    02-03-08 02:52 PM
    My CEO is in Puerto Rico right now and his Blackberry will now work. He is getting Device Error 348. His Blackberry Version = 4.2.2.66 Looks like there is a problem with this version. Thanks for the info in these posts.
    02-11-08 04:35 PM
    My CEO is in Puerto Rico right now and his Blackberry will now work. He is getting Device Error 348. His Blackberry Version = 4.2.2.66 Looks like there is a problem with this version. Thanks for the info in these posts.
    With Verizon the issue was the 4.2.2.148 to .176 upgrade. I'm not familiar enough with other carriers to know which one the 4.2.2.66 refers to but it would be extremely interesting to know whether there's a firmware upgrade beyond it that could have been applied before going down there. Beyond that, the message for your CEO is that he/she is "dead meat" as far as using the BlackBerry is concerned until they're out of there. As noted in one of my previous posts the only way to use the device at all (and then simply as a PDA) is to VERY QUICKLY (i.e., within about 10 seconds) disable the network search when it boots up. If that can be done at least there's access to information such as contacts, tasks, etc. Otherwise it's a lifeless paperweight until they move on.
    Last edited by rgoeri; 02-12-08 at 07:01 AM.
    02-11-08 08:02 PM
    4.2.2.66 was the first release from Verizon. Well, not production version, but the first upgrade version on their update site. Seems the Puerto Rico bug was on all OSs prior to .176. Interesting....
    02-11-08 11:03 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD