I have a blackberry 8820 wifi and attempted to update the latest program, all seemed to be going well until the very end when the desktop manager attempted to connect to the unit it returned a message stating "a fatal error has occured while updating your device solfware please try again" I have attempted that action several times without any success, I'm using the latest desktop manager and updated program 4.5.0.110(platform 2.7.090) for the 8820, I'm also getting on the handheld itself an icon with a #507, its an error message, checked it on the blackberry site, any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the phone I use when I travel abroad and I'm leaving country in two weeks, Thanks to all in advance, New User:
    03-01-09 07:44 AM
    No OS on your device. Reload the OS with Desktop Manager and you should be fine. When you connect the device just run the application loader from DM or directly from c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\apploader\loader.exe
    03-01-09 07:45 AM
    Thank you for the quick response, I have tried what you said several times, what the problem seems to be is the connection between the laptop and the handheld is intermitting, its connected and then its not, it goes in cycle in the loader instal screen it shows pin unknown and then it shows the pin then unknown then the pin again, thats the cycle it goes through, and on the desktop in the c: drive window I can see it detecting the device and loosing the device at the cycle interval, whats causing that? I think if the device remains connected the application will load properly, any idears
    03-01-09 08:21 AM
    Use the apploader directly not DM. When it says PIN: UNKNOWN then click next to start the loading process.
    03-01-09 08:23 AM
    Not quite sure what you mean my using the loader directly, the file loader.exe in not in the program files/common files/research in motion/apploader, I see several .dll files but no exe file would it be possible to send me that file
    03-01-09 08:39 AM
    If you sort by file type you should have only one application in that entire folder. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. That or go to your cmd prompt and type in the above dir and you can run from there.
    03-01-09 08:40 AM
    found the exe. file attempted to load, at the start of the process it froze the cycle once it got to the next step the cycle began again, however the process continued almost to the end and then returned a message of "unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000005]
    03-01-09 08:58 AM
    Restart your PC and do a battery pull on the device and try again.
    03-01-09 08:59 AM
    it seems that the problem is the device cannot remain conected to the pc, it intermitting, in and out, any idears on how to keep it connected
    03-01-09 10:15 AM
    Try using a different usb port also do not touch or move the phone while in the process. Lastly try replacing the usb cable.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by pkcable; 03-01-09 at 10:19 AM.
    03-01-09 10:16 AM
    no difference the connection between the pc and the device is intermitting
    03-01-09 10:30 AM
    Thanks guys for your assistance, problem still not resolved, will go at it again later, Thanks again
    03-01-09 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD