Hi everyone. I did a search and haven't found anyone with this problem so I'd like to see if someone can help me fix it.

When I go to the Phone Options - Voicemail setup and try and enter my password i get the following error message when I try and save it.

"Uncaught exception: java.lang.ClassCastException"

and of course it doesn't save.

I've tried resetting the phone by pulling the batter and I still get the same results.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Oh, Happy New Year!!!
    01-02-08 03:54 PM
    Are you on the latest software release?
    01-02-08 08:07 PM
    i don't know, when i pull up the about screen is says v4.2.2.148 (platform 3.0.0.67).

I'm pretty sure that's the latest
    01-02-08 10:47 PM
    still having the problem.
    01-03-08 05:26 PM
    Not the latest version. However, once you put in the number for voicemail and then your 4 digit code and a # to speed things up, do you hit menu and then save? If you are simply escaping to get a save prompt, try it with the menu/save instead.
    01-03-08 05:31 PM
    yeah i tried that and i got the same error message.

if i update the software does it reset everything or will all my info (ringers and pictures) carry over?
    01-03-08 07:55 PM
    All settings are backed up as part of the upgrade, but before you run the update just go into Backup/Restore in Desktop Manager and run a backup. It's easy. That way if the backup during the upgrade doesn't happen or whatever, you've got a manual one that you can use. I always do manual backups on mine.
    01-03-08 08:29 PM
    It will backup and restore 3rd party apps unless there is a problem during the loading process. If there is a problem and you have to start over you will lose your 3rd party apps. Here's a procedure to backup those, too. I do this before every OS upgrade.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...arty-apps.html
    01-03-08 08:52 PM
    Thank for the help. I'm going to back up, do the upgrade, and see what happens.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-08 11:53 PM
    wow what a night

something went wrong the first time i did the whole upgrade and i was stuck with this odd icon that looked like an ms windows window with a circle and slash through it and a 561 error code.

after googling wtf that meant i found out that it was a "rare" problem that happened to some people when they tried to upgrade their software and the solution was to erase everything and try again.
    so i did. and then i got some spinning hourglass thing that seemed to last forever.

figuring i broke my phone i pulled the battery (none of the keys would work while the icon was spinning) and went to bed.

I was planning on taking my phone to verizon today to see what they could do with it however the stores don't open till 10. so when i got to work i figured wtf and put the battery back in. after about 10 minutes i looked down at my phone and noticed the hourglass was still spinning but was occasionally flashing. I thought "man i really screwed this thing up" then the screen went blank and the verizon logo appeared. a few minutes later it had booted up!!!

So i did the restore, got everything back on my phone, tried entering the voicemail password in the options screen, and IT WORKED!!!!

thanks for all the help everyone.

on a side note, in the futre, whenever we tell someone to do an upgrade or anything, we should mention that they should wait 10-15 minutes after their phone powers up to reboot or whatever. Had i known that i would have been in a much better mood when i went to bed last night.
    01-04-08 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD