I "dropped" my 8830 the other day, and since then the END key has been somewhat unresponsive. It works but it needs a good press to do so. My send key is very responsive and the END used to be as well. But now I nearly have to push the key through the back of the phone to get it to work. Anyone else had this problem or similar? I really don't want to swap out the phone cuz I feel it would be a pain to get it set the way I have it now all over again. I'm curious if I open her up if there would be an easy fix as I would have no problem breaking out my torx. Any help is appreciated.
    01-14-08 09:20 AM
    You could try opening it up, and see if the little rubber button on the bottom is hitting the receptor in the phone. I have never done this before, and I am just saying this, because that is how most buttons work, I am assuming. But again, I have never done this any Blackberry. I would do this with great caution.
    01-14-08 10:00 AM
    I like your signature!
    01-14-08 10:01 AM
    I was thinking that would be the safest bet. Just don't want to crack it open if its a lost cause ya know?

-Thanks.
    01-14-08 10:14 AM
    Well, I am already on my 3rd 8830, so I am not taking any risks any more. But, since we are here, do you have any idea how to get dust out of the screen, without taking the berry apart? Thanks.
    01-14-08 10:23 AM
    Apparently this is ANOTHER problem with this phone. I too had the End button malfuction and so to did the gentlemen in line in front of me at the verizon store.

Its not as hard to swap out a phone as you think it is. Desktop manager has a utility called swap blackberry that pretty much transferred over all of my settings except for email signature and theme preferences. It even transfered my ringtone preferences.

All in took me about 15 min.

I cannot wait to get rid of this phone. Think I have about 4 months left before the one year mark when I should be able to try and negotiate to extend my contract to get promo pricing / early terminate and tell them to **** off.
    01-21-08 08:53 AM
    I ended up swapping it out against my will as well. I really didn't want to do it because I knew the pain it would be to set up everything as I had it again. I had opened the phone and messed around with the keyboard about 3 or 4 times to try and get it to work again but no love. I did a backup with the DM, spent an hour at Verizon while they switched it for me (why it took an hour was lost to me) and restored everything on my new device. I was amazed that all my emails, texts and settings were all set right back the way I had them which was great. The only thing I had to do was re-register some apps for the new PIN (BBsmart, BBalerts, JiveTalk etc.) and then it was done. I'm glad I went in hindsight. Now I just have to get a new screen protector and I'm good to go.

Its odd now too because I'm still pounding the END button to get it to work since I'm so used to the broken one
    01-21-08 09:02 AM
    I'm having the same issue, and I've never dropped mine (knock on wood). If you break it open let us know how it goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-08 03:51 PM
    I also have never dropped my phone and take extremely good care of it. I'm about to receive my 3rd 8830 replacement due to this exact issue with the End key not working unless you hammer it down. All my other keys have worked fine, but after about 3 months of normal usage, the End key increasingly becomes more non-responsive by the day. Love the phone but very irritated with this issue.
    03-03-08 01:33 PM
    My call end button has been breaking too. I am on my 3thrid phone and it is becoming unresposive again.
    07-31-08 11:57 AM
    I too am on my 3rd phone and am about to head over to the store to ask to be swapped to the Curve (as the world edition part doesn't matter much to me...when I traveled to Germany it didn't work anyways inspite of having the SIM card and asking them to set up global for me) I hate Verizon!

Is there any reason not to swap out for a Curve? It seemed to have a faster response to everything when I played with it in the store a couple months ago when I was there for my my 3rd 8830 swap.
    09-01-08 09:39 AM
    I have the same problem - after about 3 months of normal use the end key on my Blackberry Storm 9530 completely stopped working. I too have taken extremely good care of the unit. I'll head to the Verizon store, but for now there is no way to end a freakin phone call without removing the battery. Doh!
    07-17-09 07:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD