I received this email from Verizon in response to my low ringer volume.
    It appears that there are a few more "undisclosed benefits" that can be corrected with a new download

I am going to wait until the Nov 8 upgrade is available.

Here is the email....

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you further with your Blackberry 8830 question regarding issues with the ringer volume.

We are sorry to hear that you continue to have this issue. We will advise you on the current firmware update that should help correct this issue. We apologize if this information was not on the previous email response.

Please follow the directions provided in this email to install the updated firmware to your 8830. This new firmware provides the enhancements listed below:

� Resolves the inability to use data after having left the handset on while leaving a GSM area broad or turning the handset and/or it's cellular radio off when no GSM signal was present abroad. This previously required that the battery be removed and reinserted before it could reestablish data connectivity in a CDMA coverage area.

� Resolves the loss of phone functionality after using the call waiting function to answer an incoming call while currently on a call.

� Resolves multiple issues with acquiring network connectivity while in GSM mode.

� Resolves three identified Calendar issues that were previously addressed with a patch. Detailed information about the Calendar issues can be found at this link: xxx

� A 6dB boost in volume has been implemented to audio notifications to resolve missing alerts while the 8830 is holstered.

� Enables the SIM to be unlocked for the use of non-Verizon Wireless SIM Cards for voice and data service on GSM/GPRS networks abroad. Note: Requires account to have been in good standing for previous 60 days and Verizon Wireless does not provide any support for using third-party SIM while roaming on any GSM/GPRS networks.

� Adds support for A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets.

� Improves the usability of the keyboard by not using backlighting in low-to-medium lighting conditions which previously made keys difficult to read.

� Corrects an issue that resulted in "Error 348" on the 8830.
    10-25-07 12:06 PM
    the current firmware upgrade as of now does nothing to the ringer volume....

I have not noticed any improvement.....

Don't think this info is what is yet to come it's crrently out..... and there is not a fox with this patch or upgrade.....

Be advised that when the new patch or upgrade comes out which will be in movember, might have some improvment
    10-25-07 01:54 PM
    How do you update the firmware? How do you know when a new update is available? I am a new user.
    10-25-07 02:59 PM
    Sorry forgot the link but it smith micro something. it's a sub verizon page that they have...

the current version is 4.3 something.......

you can check your version under status under options on your phone.
    Last edited by yester18; 10-25-07 at 03:17 PM.
    10-25-07 03:14 PM
    It is here. I can't post urls yet so decode it.

vzw dot smithmicro dot com right slash BlackBerry
    don't forget the http stuff first.
    10-25-07 07:18 PM
    It is here. I can't post urls yet so decode it.

vzw dot smithmicro dot com right slash BlackBerry
    don't forget the http stuff first.
    Here you go:
    BlackBerry® Software Updates
    10-25-07 08:08 PM
    Does anybody know wht version the OS should be?
    10-26-07 10:54 PM
    The version I have now is 4.2.2.66 (Platform3.0.045) I have no clue what that means. All I need is for someone to tell me if that version is current or if I need to download a new OS. Thank you!!
    10-26-07 11:22 PM
    I updated to 4.2.2.148 and it did fix a few sound issues but the ringer is too quiet still!
    10-26-07 11:44 PM
    This is an old discussion. But the truth is that .148 will make the ringer a little louder and it corrects a couple of other problems I have have since I bought my BB. The best solution for now is to download other tones. There are some great threads about which tone is loudest. The tone does make a difference.
    10-27-07 01:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD