My blackberry periodically freezes when new email comes in, and I have to turn my blackberry off and then on. When the blackberry comes back up, I get an error "net_rim_bb_messaging_app (number) is not responding; process terminated", and the email then comes up. It's very frustrating to have my blackberry freeze and need to power cycle it. Has anyone seen this before, and have any suggestions on what to do to fix this?

Thanks.
    02-25-08 10:06 PM
    Reload OS if it's latest. If not, just update it. Could be a corrupt file. If that doesn't fix it, get the phone replaced (could be a sign on bad flash).
    02-25-08 11:09 PM
    Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion. Sorry I haven't gotten back until now, but I was nervous about doing this.

However, I just did it today, but the problem doesn't seem to have went away. I basically backed up my blackberry with the desktop manager, and then I wiped my blackberry (I looked at a few other discussions). I then used Application Loader on Desktop manager to reload the applications (it didn't actually remove the operating system, though, so it didn't need to be reloaded) and then did a restore to get back all my contacts, etc.

You mentioned about re-installing my operating system, but I'm not sure how to do that. I re-downloaded the executable, but then in desktop manager it doesn't show that any changes need to be made to the operating system itself.

I noticed tonight once that there was an instance where the email froze and then I had to turn my blackberry on and then off and then got the "Application net_rim_bb_messaging_app not responding" error, after which the email came up.

I guess I can live with this as it's occasional, but it's annoying and I'd like to fix it if possible. I haven't called Verizon technical support yet, but may do that, and I may consider replacing the blackberry.

Thanks in advance for anyone's suggestions on this.
    03-18-08 10:52 PM
    If you don't reload the OS, this will not be fixed. Go load the new Bell OS on your PC. Then DM will see a version change (from what's on the phone) and prompt for an update. Short of that, if you want to just reload the current OS, you'd have to use javaloader to do a complete wipe of the handheld... OS and User Data in order for DM to see that the Blackberry needs an OS install.
    03-19-08 10:20 AM
    Thanks! I'll definitely try to get my operating system reloaded or updated.
    03-19-08 08:07 PM
    I upgraded the operating system, but just today I had email freeze once and then get the same error.

I also have had bluetooth headset problems, which I don't know if they are related. A few months ago, I had a Jawbone, but it was so temperamental with pairing and connecting to my blackberry (plus it would just disconnect), so I got a Jabra BT135. It worked great for the first several weeks, but now I'm having the same connection problems.

I'm wondering if at this point I should get a new blackberry, or whether it's worth trying the javaunloader. Are there instructions for using javaunloader for doing a complete wipe of the blackberry?

Thanks
    03-20-08 12:49 PM
    I finally called Verizon technical support, and they suggested selectively removing third party applications to see if one of them was causing the problem.

Since the problem was with email freezing, I first removed BB Smart Email viewer, and since then I haven't had the problem with my email freezing in a week, and the email is coming up a lot faster than it was. I think the problem may be solved.

I didn't really use BB Smart Email viewer that much, so I'm probably going to leave it uninstalled. I suppose that if I were to re-install BB Smart Email Viewer, there may be be some settings that may have been the ultimate culprit, or maybe I didn't have the latest version. One thing is that every time I would open an email, there'd be a window asking whether to view with BB Smart. If I had checked "don't ask again", maybe that would have solved the problem (and just select it from the menu when needed).

I guess one moral here is to be on the lookout for any problems after installing any third party software.
    04-21-08 01:36 PM
    I had this very same problem after installing the Buzz Tin Can application. Once it was removed the problem went away.
    10-01-09 08:04 AM
    Isn't a pain! At least some of you get the email eventually mine's still frozen after 3 days and after speaking to a "technical consultant" from the operator still no luck. Suggested everything from taking the battery and sim card out to entering the BIS website and reregistering the handset. So I'm at wits end now What comes first - experiment by selectively deleting new apps recently installed OR reloading the OS, BUT wouldn't that erase data?
    03-09-10 09:48 AM
    Make a backup of your data before you reload the OS. Reload the OS, then restore your data from the backup. Normally you'll also need to make a backup of your 3rd party apps (the data backup does NOT include apps) but in this case, since you suspect an app is the problem, you may want to reload them individually.
    03-09-10 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD