Thursday, April 03 2008, @ 5:07 PM (-0800 GMT)

If you are in a WEAK area, in many cases you can increase signal strength by 3 to 6 dB, which corresponds to a doubling or quadrupling of signal. This requires you use the phone in an unconventional manner, BUT, if its an emergency, or some such, it may be worth the while.

Hold the bottom of the phone of 2 fingers up high with the speakerphone on. By unwrapping your hand from around the body of the phone and raising it up, signal strength will improve 2 to 4 times, or 3 to 6 dB.

To SEE this, look under TIPS, for my previous post on changing the 5 bars to signal strength in dBM. You can DUMP the dumb "5 bars" and get a MUCH more sensitive reading on signal strength. The "key" is to use ALT+NMLL to change from "5 Bars" to "Signal Power in dBM."

I tried to post THIS TIP there but was prevented from doing so. I do not know why?
    04-03-08 07:15 PM
    Nice tip, (the first one) sort of makes sense that it might work - must admit that anyone trying would get some funny looks - sticking two fingers in the air does'nt help either

BTW: Is the attached photo from "your web-site" really of you? Or just marketing/web-page equivalent of a pot-plant?
    Last edited by Berryman; 04-04-08 at 04:08 AM.
    04-04-08 03:38 AM
    Nice tip, (the first one) sort of makes sense that it might work - must admit that anyone trying would get some funny looks - sticking two fingers in the air does'nt help either

BTW: Is the attached photo from "your web-site" really of you? Or just marketing/web-page equivalent of a pot-plant?
    Friday, April 04 2008, @ 5:38 AM (-0800 GMT)

Hahahahaha! My thought in posting this was NOT to suggest a novel new way to use yor BB on a day to day basis, just to suggest that, in (say) an emergency, or other "tight" situation, that you MIGHT be able to communicate if only you raised the phone UP and unwrapped your hand from around it to let the built-in antenna "breathe." <g>

In re the photo, it is several years old. <giggle> I am now "29." haha
    Visit me in "Second Life," it is FREE. My name there is Linda Latte. Second Life: Official site of the 3D online virtual world
    04-04-08 07:44 AM
    Doesn't makes one bit of sense. To have a net gain of 3 - 6db would require an external antenna on the phone, and even then that sort of gain would be subject to other external factors.
    04-04-08 12:51 PM
    Doesn't makes one bit of sense. To have a net gain of 3 - 6db would require an external antenna on the phone, and even then that sort of gain would be subject to other external factors.
    Not so, simply not so. Change your display so it indicates signal power in terms of dBM rather than the "bogus" and insensitive "5 Bar" type display.

Wrap your hands around the phone like usual, and then, after seeing what the signal level is, raise your arm in the air and hold the phone with only 2 fingers. The built-in antenna, no longer SHROUDED by your hand and body will pick up MORE signal, as much as 3 to 6 dB more, which represents a doubling or quadrupling of signal power.

Naturally, this is NOT something you would routinely do, BUT, in an emergency, it just might make the difference between reaching 911 and NOT reaching 911.
    04-04-08 02:29 PM
    I've been doing something like this when I have a low signal. I also noticed that sometimes moving the phone only a few inches one way or the other will help. This is mainly when I'm indoors and the cell signal maybe concentrated in certain areas. I'm in a metal trailer. (a.k.a. Faraday Cage with windows)

Outdoors, I can sometimes walk a few feet and get a much different signal. Try walking around to the other side of a vehicle for example. And yes, it can be the difference between being able to send an email etc or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-08 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD