I had a phone and a Palm PDA. Recently switched to an 8820. I love it, all in one plus the extras the both the phone and the PDA did not have. However, the calendar is lacking in my opinion. With my palm I can look at the month view and see by the color dots on each day whether or not I am going to be in the area or out. This isn't possible with my 8820. It just shows black dots for all appointments. You can't categorize appt.s by color for personal, work, etc. I know it may seem petty but.... Does anyone know of a better calendar software or an upgrade that would make the calendar ------ (I hate to say this) more like the palm calendar?
    12-18-08 01:42 PM
    Look in the app store. There is a program called Pocket Informant. I love it. Check it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 01:48 PM
    I've downloaded the trial version. Will give it a try. Thanks.
    Are there other programs out there as well?
    12-19-08 08:30 AM
    There are other applications available. Here is one that is a very detailed PIM called Agendus. Here is the link:

Agendus for BlackBerry - all-in-one personal information manager integrates and enhances the BlackBerry built-in calendar, tasks, and contacts
    12-19-08 10:14 AM
    I've tried both Pocket informant and Agendus. They are OK. What I need is a calendar that lets me look at the month view and be able to see the different colors for the appt.s and be able to tell at a glance what is happening. What is personal, business, out of town, etc... BB's calendar just puts a black dot. Pocket informant has a colored dot but so small that you need a microscope to see. I love my BB but wish I could use my Palm calendar software on it. ----- Any other programs out there? Thanks for any help you can give.
    12-23-08 10:43 PM
    I've tried both Pocket informant and Agendus. They are OK. What I need is a calendar that lets me look at the month view and be able to see the different colors for the appt.s and be able to tell at a glance what is happening. What is personal, business, out of town, etc... BB's calendar just puts a black dot. Pocket informant has a colored dot but so small that you need a microscope to see. I love my BB but wish I could use my Palm calendar software on it. ----- Any other programs out there? Thanks for any help you can give.
    What about eMobile Today Professional? I'm getting this when I get my Bold in January.
    12-24-08 10:02 AM
    Tlynnsmith,
    The program you mentioned seems like an interesting one but it does not fit what my needs are. All the new PIM software seems to be geared to integrating different tasks together, appts, emails, phone calls, etc.
    All I'm looking for is a PIM that will transfer the category colors from my appts. and place them on the month view so at a glance I can see what my week or month looks like without having to check each day. If I am going to be out of town one day next month but forgot which day I have to go through each day. If I had the categories come up in the month view it would be so much easier. I guess I got spoiled with my Palm. It seems like an easy thing to do I don't know why they didn't add this to the calendar software. And of all the big name 3rd party PIM apps, none of them addresses this. Crazy....
    12-25-08 12:25 PM
    Tlynnsmith,
    The program you mentioned seems like an interesting one but it does not fit what my needs are. All the new PIM software seems to be geared to integrating different tasks together, appts, emails, phone calls, etc.
    All I'm looking for is a PIM that will transfer the category colors from my appts. and place them on the month view so at a glance I can see what my week or month looks like without having to check each day. If I am going to be out of town one day next month but forgot which day I have to go through each day. If I had the categories come up in the month view it would be so much easier. I guess I got spoiled with my Palm. It seems like an easy thing to do I don't know why they didn't add this to the calendar software. And of all the big name 3rd party PIM apps, none of them addresses this. Crazy....
    I hear you loud and clear. I too came from Palm, and I am very glad I did, but something so simple as color coded calendar entries should definitely be there. It is nice to have, and seeing as the BB is made to sync with Outlook that has this functionality- it should work.

Rim heard us, and from what I can tell the new 4.5 software for the Curve, etc. is supposed to have the color coding. Do a search on the new features of the 4.5 software, and it should tell you if it is there or not. I really think it is. Of course, I've got Sprint and they are late to the game in getting this update to us so I can't confirm.
    12-25-08 12:42 PM
    MisterB, I loaded the newest 4.5.0.110 last night on my bb 8820. No colors. No categories for business, personal, etc.... Hopefully in a later update. This may seem like a small thing but for me, it's why I fell in love with my Palm. I like my BB but, does anyone have the number for a developer at RIM. This could be such an easy update to add.
    I did have some issues loading the OS but eventually go it going.
    12-26-08 07:37 AM
    I am with you dog2490. The RIM calendar is amateurish at best.
    12-26-08 08:31 AM
    Is there anything or anyone that can provide a solution to the adding of categories to the calendar appts. and having the colors show up on the month view in each day?
    I've searched all over and there is not even a 3rd party calendar (PIM) app that has this feature. Has palm copyrighted it or something?
    12-30-08 10:43 AM
    Is there anything or anyone that can provide a solution to the adding of categories to the calendar appts. and having the colors show up on the month view in each day?
    I've searched all over and there is not even a 3rd party calendar (PIM) app that has this feature. Has palm copyrighted it or something?
    No, Palm can't copyright something like that. Besides, the functionality is built right in to Outlook. You can easily color code your calendar in Outlook, it just won't carry over your colors to the BB when you sync. I'd imagine it works with Windows devices, however.

Are you sure it didn't work with the update? There might be a hidden option somewhere to change it that you just aren't seeing. I could have sworn somebody said it would give it this functionality with the new update.
    01-03-09 12:03 AM
    I just did a search, and found some guy that came up with a work around. Not sure if you'll like it, but it's worth a try. Here's what he says " I found that you can assign different colors to the send using email address. It is in the top of the appointment screen. I created a new email address, showingapartments@ then added it to my BIS. Then went on the BB under calendar options and changed the color to green. Now I assign my showings to that address and it shows green on the calendar. My personal appointments are assignd to a different email address and show as blue. I use the week view and at a quick glance you can see the different apponiment types by color. "
    01-03-09 12:08 AM
    MisterB, I couldn't find what you were referring to in the appt. screen. Sorry to sound ignorant but what do you mean when you "add the address to your BIS"? Let me know.
    Thanks.
    01-03-09 06:44 PM
    I have an 8330 and coming from a Palm, I really wish I could see those coloured dots again, or at least have the appointments coloured. Geeze, so will updating DM to 4.7 help me here?
    01-03-09 07:02 PM
    No, it is a OS thing. Still love my PIBB.

01-03-09 07:05 PM
    BB Calendar is weak!!
    01-03-09 07:08 PM
    No M4gician, sorry. the desktop manager just helps when updating your BB. I wouldn't load DM 4.7. DM 4.5 has worked the best for me. Especially when updating to the latest software on my 8820. I know what you mean about the colored dots. I love my bb but I don't think I'll stay with it. I can't live without a good calendar that can give me a quick glance view with my colored dots.
    01-03-09 08:25 PM
    It seems like such a trivial thing to implement. All BB needs is to add one extra database field for the calendar. It is odd that they have the "categories" field for contacts and for tasks, but not for the calendar. I can't think that this is some new revelation that people want categories, so I wonder why RIM hasn't put it in yet?
    01-03-09 10:18 PM
    MisterB, I couldn't find what you were referring to in the appt. screen. Sorry to sound ignorant but what do you mean when you "add the address to your BIS"? Let me know.
    Thanks.

Again, this was something that someone else said, that I quoted, but BIS is the Blackberry Internet Service. It is the web site you go to through your carrier where you add an email address to have your BB send and receive with. I think this guy is saying you can set up different email addresses with different colors, and since they are linked to the calendar for Outlook accept/decline appointments, it should give you the ability to sort of fudge it.
    01-04-09 12:06 AM
    Heh,

Anyone know if the storm is any better at managing a working calendar that matches Outlook at all? if not, and it's inherent in the OS, I may end up just switching back to a Palm OS phone when it's released.

Or even the Palm Treo 700p.
    01-04-09 12:00 PM
    I don't think the storm calendar will be any different than other BBs.

01-04-09 12:11 PM
    Just got the Storm. I too am a long time Palm user. Appearently I am not alone in my need for "the colored dots". The Storm does not have any color coding inherent to it's calendar.
    01-04-09 02:19 PM
    I have thought about doing the same thing. However this little phone has the entire package. My 8820 has gps, wifi, mp3 player.... Right now I am still using my Palm TX pda and my 8820. They weren't kidding when they called them crackberries. I've purchased a treo palm phone but I already know that if I want the calendar I have to give up wifi, and gps. Not cool. I hope they can fix this. The 3rd party apps don't even do an adequate job compared to the out of the box palm calendar. Someone could make alot of money if they created a PIM similar to Palm's calendar.
    01-04-09 04:15 PM
    Finally there is a PIM that is comparable to the Palm calendar with icons for the month view. The new update for the Pocket Informant has icons that show up in the month view so you can see what your month looks like without having to go to each day. This is something I have been waiting for. Thank you. Finally it can truly be said that the BB is as good or better at PIM software for smartphone/PDA's
    Awesome.
    03-03-09 07:46 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD